Savchenko and Massot team up | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Savchenko and Massot team up

Buttercup

Record Breaker
...No way that's a real photo, right? It's way bigger than even V/T's!
I know most people didn't pay much attention to Popova/Massot, but anyone who has can't be surprised that Savchenko/Massot would have a big twist - maybe surprised that they got it so quickly, but he's trained with Ingo so it's very likely that their technique is compatible.

A couple of examples of P/M's twist. Popova and Savchenko are about the same height, though not the same body type (and Popova was injured for parts of last season).

I look forward to whatever videos of them might resurface from ATS this weekend. I'm not expecting too much after only a month, but it should be fun to see what they can do.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
got to admit the twist look bigger than S/S had ever done
now lets see their SBS jumps

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I can't believe that I'm saying that, but I like them. Massot looks kinda big (and sexy) :) I wish I liked Savchenko more as a person.
As for the twist, Massot/Popova's twists always were big. Bruno is just strong physically. So no surprise for me here.

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
It's another article from BILD, which generally means it is to be taken with a grain of salt, but here:

http://www.bild.de/regional/chemnitz/eiskunstlauf/eiskalter-abschied-aus-chemnitz-35723874.bild.html

"Ice cold goodbye"

[...] What, in spite of the perfect show ("Imagine on ice") people didn't get to see were goodbye tears. The relationship between them (A&R) has meanwhile gone as cold as the ice in the Chemnitz venue.

Robin: "It's plain to see that I'm not in need of a tissue"

Aliona: "Before the afternoon show, when I put on my skates, I cried. I thought I'd cry even more in the evening, but then nothing came."

While Aliona wrote autographs for an hour, Robin went to his family and the after show party. When Aliona showed up, they didn't so much as glance at each other, sat at different tables. One last photo together with coach Ingo Steuer? Robin: "No, I'm finished with those two."

Steuer, disappointed: "Simply shameful! Really a pity."

[..] At least Aliona showed grandeur in the end: "Big thanks to Ingo Steuer, who fetched me/brought me and made a star out of me. And also to Robin. No matter, what was - or is."

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing! Sounds a bit sensationalist/suspect, but ah well, that's how journalism sometimes is. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since we have had links posted to petitions regarding the Olympics results, and about Ottavio Cinquanta, I just thought you may be interested to know that there is now a petition for Ingo Steur to get his army pension.

www.change.org/Petitions/bundesinne...istungen-entsprechend-honoriert-werden-dürfen

Be aware, it is written in German.

We all do things when we are young that, when we look back later in life, we would rather we didn't. But it is not fair that Ingo is still being punished for it 30 years later.

Let's face it, if you were approached by the secret police when you were a teenager, most people would be scared to say "no" to whatever they wanted you to do.

Ingo made a mistake by not owning up when he got the job with the army. And he was rightly punished. But, this has been going on for years now. He has been punished enough.

Although I am not signing the petition myself (I don't like putting my name to things like this), I do think it is time to draw a line over the whole affair. Especially since it is starting to affect other people, as well as Germany's future chances in Pairs skating.

CaroLiza_fan

Amei

Record Breaker
Although I am not signing the petition myself (I don't like putting my name to things like this), I do think it is time to draw a line over the whole affair. Especially since it is starting to affect other people, as well as Germany's future chances in Pairs skating.

CaroLiza_fan

Correct me if I'm wrong but the people it affects mostly are Ingo and his students, the 2 highest profile Aliona & Bruno neither of which are German. I would be more in favor of them putting money towards German skaters. I would like to see if they do (doubt they do give him a pension) is to put 'strings' to it; the money he gets is for/to train young and up-coming German skaters. IMO - the best thing for Germany's future in pairs skating (as in any country) is to see German skaters at the top level; I don't think it does a lot for the growth of the sport for kids (future skaters) or general audience (fans) in the country to see the top team(s) to be other nationalities. Hard-core FS fans like us who watch the sport all the time and follow it, generally have our favorites and it generally isn't limited to the skaters from our own country vs. (at least from what I get in the U.S.) casual fans who are going to watch during the Olympics, most of those people tend to stick with the skaters from their country or the special 'skater' of the Games that the media latches onto.

Pasdedeux

Rinkside
Correct me if I'm wrong but the people it affects mostly are Ingo and his students, the 2 highest profile Aliona & Bruno neither of which are German.

But Aliona does have German citizenship. Or is it not German enough? Do you consider only people born in Germany to be truly German?

Amei

Record Breaker
But Aliona does have German citizenship. Or is it not German enough? Do you consider only people born in Germany to be truly German?

For the purpose athletes I say yes, the second S/M decide to skate for France she's gonna drop her German citizenship in a flash and go get French citizenship to continue skating; it's not for some love of country, but to skate.

Pasdedeux

Rinkside
For the purpose athletes I say yes, the second S/M decide to skate for France she's gonna drop her German citizenship in a flash and go get French citizenship to continue skating; it's not for some love of country, but to skate.

This is not very logical, because even though she was actually born in the Ukraine, she gave up that citizeship to skate for Germany. So she is not Ukrainian enough either? As for dropping German citizeship "in a flash", this is simply not fair to her, she seems to have been trying to remain in Germany even if she has to sit out two years because France wouldn't release Massot.

hanca

Record Breaker
This is not very logical, because even though she was actually born in the Ukraine, she gave up that citizeship to skate for Germany. So she is not Ukrainian enough either? As for dropping German citizeship "in a flash", this is simply not fair to her, she seems to have been trying to remain in Germany even if she has to sit out two years because France wouldn't release Massot.

Do you know for sure that she gave up Ukrainian citizenship? People can have dual citizenship you know...

And getting French one does not automatically mean that she will drop the German one. She may end up with three citizenships. I had a Friend who had three citizenships and three passports.

orangella96

Final Flight
Do you know for sure that she gave up Ukrainian citizenship? People can have dual citizenship you know...

And getting French one does not automatically mean that she will drop the German one. She may end up with three citizenships. I had a Friend who had three citizenships and three passports.

Nope neither Germany nor Ukrain allow multiple citizenships.
The Ukrain never does as far as I know and in Germany that works only if you have plausible reasons for that. Sport probably is none of them...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Correct me if I'm wrong but the people it affects mostly are Ingo and his students, the 2 highest profile Aliona & Bruno neither of which are German. I would be more in favor of them putting money towards German skaters. I would like to see if they do (doubt they do give him a pension) is to put 'strings' to it; the money he gets is for/to train young and up-coming German skaters. IMO - the best thing for Germany's future in pairs skating (as in any country) is to see German skaters at the top level; I don't think it does a lot for the growth of the sport for kids (future skaters) or general audience (fans) in the country to see the top team(s) to be other nationalities. Hard-core FS fans like us who watch the sport all the time and follow it, generally have our favorites and it generally isn't limited to the skaters from our own country vs. (at least from what I get in the U.S.) casual fans who are going to watch during the Olympics, most of those people tend to stick with the skaters from their country or the special 'skater' of the Games that the media latches onto.
I don't believe Aliona Savchenko could have represented Germany in three Olympics were she not a German citizen. She has lived in Germany for more than a decade and speaks the language. Her life is in Germany. She's German.

His work with Savchenko/Szolkowy suggests that Ingo Steuer is one of the best pairs coaches and choreographers in the world. Having someone like that available to work with skaters would only help German figure skating.

Personally I think it's absurd that Karel Fajfr can receive finding while Steuer is prohibited from doing so.

Nope neither Germany nor Ukrain allow multiple citizenships.
The Ukrain never does as far as I know and in Germany that works only if you have plausible reasons for that. Sport probably is none of them...
You're wrong about Germany - acquiring citizenship in another EU country does not require that one renounce German citizenship. Germany also allows dual citizenship in many other cases (mine included, BTW).

Also, it's Ukraine, not The Ukraine.

orangella96

Final Flight
You're wrong about Germany - acquiring citizenship in another EU country does not require that one renounce German citizenship. Germany also allows dual citizenship in many other cases (mine included, BTW).

Also, it's Ukraine, not The Ukraine.

Okay seems to depend on the case then 'cause a friend of mine was not allowed to gain German citizenship and keep her original one at the same time.
But thanks for infoming me. So who knows it might work in her case.
And I agree with you that she is German due to her life there.
I find it wrong to say she's not German 'cause she just wasn't born there.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Okay seems to depend on the case then 'cause a friend of mine was not allowed to gain German citizenship and keep her original one at the same time.
But thanks for infoming me. So who knows it might work in her case.
And I agree with you that she is German due to her life there.
I find it wrong to say she's not German 'cause she just wasn't born there.
Could that be due to requirements in your friend's country of origin?

It's definitely wrong to consider someone to be a second-rate citizen (or not a citizen at all) because they weren't born or didn't grow up in the country where they end up living and holding citizenship.

orangella96

Final Flight
Could that be due to requirements in your friend's country of origin?

It's definitely wrong to consider someone to be a second-rate citizen (or not a citizen at all) because they weren't born or didn't grow up in the country where they end up living and holding citizenship.

That was probably it.
I wish for her that it works out as she wants it and that she can keep German citizenship 'cause she said so often that she loves Germany.