Who is practicing new Quads? Which ones? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who is practicing new Quads? Which ones?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I hope the first ratified 4Lo comes from Hanyu. Maybe he can then use it to replace that dratted 4S.

Well, a fall on a completely rotated 4L gets 8 points (versus 6.5 for a 4S fall), so that's essentially like having another 3A (if he stays on his feet but has a minor error like a touchdown or stepout, it's 10 points, almost the BV of a 4S).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well, a fall on a completely rotated 4L gets 8 points (versus 6.5 for a 4S fall), so that's essentially like having another 3A (if he stays on his feet but has a minor error like a touchdown or stepout, it's 10 points, almost the BV of a 4S).

I also think first 4L in competition will come from Javi or Yuzuru, but I hope to see consistent 4S from Hanyu. When he hits it right way it just looks beatifull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TMYye1NpFc

Components

Match Penalty
The first 4L will probably be Brandon Mroz. Whether he does it in a major championship is another story. But he has been landing them (cleanly) in practices for several months now - posting videos to Instagram, etc. (Tom Zakrajzek). He also did the first 4Lz, so that isn't surprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmvs-swJEM

Clean, from July 10, 2013. I think he's a bit closer than those other guys :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
The first 4L will probably be Brandon Mroz. Whether he does it in a major championship is another story. But he has been landing them (cleanly) in practices for several months now - posting videos to Instagram, etc. (Tom Zakrajzek). He also did the first 4Lz, so that isn't surprising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmvs-swJEM
Clean, from July 10, 2013. I think he's a bit closer than those other guys :)
Long time I haven't heard anything from him. I didn't know he is still skating, or at least competing?

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, Reynolds, I like him very much, despite his hair. But I have to say he should improve his basic skills, other than his jumps. I was so sad for him at worlds. :slink:

I like him very much - AND his hair. Yes, I do! Why are people looking at me strangely? I think it makes him look like a pixie, okay?:slink:

(comes back momentarily) Any news on his boot problems? ( :slink: away again)

nimi

Medalist
@Meoima: Outside of rotating jumps, it looks to me like nothing in skating comes naturally to Kevin. I think he HAS been working hard on his basic skating to get to the level he's at now. He's never going to have the speed and flow across the ice that Yuzuru does, but comparing his skating now to when he was an awkward teenager dressed as a tree(!) - yeah, definite improvement. I hope he's gonna keep improving. Also hoping for less downgrades for quads that to the casual observer look pretty nicely landed and rotated. : /

@LRK: I liked his hair curly!

LRK

Record Breaker
I wonder if he'll keep his SP? I quite liked it - I wouldn't have guessed it, if told beforehand, but it really suited him. I think he needs music with a bit of... personality. Like the Chamber Swing SP (I forget its name). The Soulful I don't think really brings out the best in him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
@Meoima: Outside of rotating jumps, it looks to me like nothing in skating comes naturally to Kevin. I think he HAS been working hard on his basic skating to get to the level he's at now. He's never going to have the speed and flow across the ice that Yuzuru does, but comparing his skating now to when he was an awkward teenager dressed as a tree(!) - yeah, definite improvement. I hope he's gonna keep improving. Also hoping for less downgrades for quads that to the casual observer look pretty nicely landed and rotated. : /

@LRK: I liked his hair curly!

I disagree - I think his arm movements and attention to detail in his programs have progressed. Still not an artistically superior skater, but he has worked hard to evolve from just a jumping machine (although that is what he will always be known as). When you do 3 quads in a FS and 2 quads in an SP, it's hard to be seen as "artistic" (IMO, Javier's the only one who pulls that off). Considering he was thinking of quitting the sport, I do admire him for sticking with it (and he has an ISU championship to show for it, too).

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I disagree - I think his arm movements and attention to detail in his programs have progressed. Still not an artistically superior skater, but he has worked hard to evolve from just a jumping machine (although that is what he will always be known as). When you do 3 quads in a FS and 2 quads in an SP, it's hard to be seen as "artistic" (IMO, Javier's the only one who pulls that off). Considering he was thinking of quitting the sport, I do admire him for sticking with it (and he has an ISU championship to show for it, too).

I just wonder why his jumps are so small :confused: Is he not trying to improve his strength and muscles in gym :biggrin: ? Or is any reason. Yuzuru is also very thin and small but comparing to Kevin he looks like jumping strongman :biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Kevin Reynolds has a long way to go before his programs are interesting - other than his jumps. I don't think he presents well at all. What sealed my opinion was his comment about not listening to the music. Excuse me? How can you deliver a program without listening to the music and skating to it? Basically he's going from one jump to the other and his costume, music and yes - even his hair - is just along for the ride. It's a shame because he does seem to be gifted. I just question the motivation. What IS he doing to improve his skating skills?

nimi

Medalist
Huh? I said he has obviously worked hard on the non-jump parts of his skating and that he has improved over the years. So you disagree with me or not? :confused:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Huh? I said he has obviously worked hard on the non-jump parts of his skating and that he has improved over the years. So you disagree with me or not? :confused:

Oh I agree with you that he's improved, but I disagree with your assertion that things aren't coming naturally to him (for example, I think his arm movements are a lot more refined and natural). But if what you're implying is that his current level of finesse isn't something that came natural to him as in he had to work hard for it, then yep, I totally agree with you. :)