Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official

lavender

Record Breaker
I like Yu na but she's no where near being my favorite but Sochi was such a sad experience. I felt bad for the skaters not from Russia that would get no love after a performance good or bad. I've never seen such a thing happen in skating.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I like Yu na but she's no where near being my favorite but Sochi was such a sad experience. I felt bad for the skaters not from Russia that would get no love after a performance good or bad. I've never seen such a thing happen in skating.

Were you in Sochi yourself or just watched Youtube? I was in Iceberg for men and ladies. After Pluschenko checked out a lot of "russian" tickets were sold to foreigners. Half of the people around me were from Japan what sort of "Russian crowd" are we talking?. We all screamed and supported all. In ladies (I was only at SP) there was some craze when Yulia showed up. And there was some unnecessary Ra-ssi-ya. But at least a third op the crowd (if not more) was not from Russia. Everybody shouted for everyone. Yuna was not in a seeded group. 99% of Russians did not know who she was and greated her same way as all other skaters from the group - polite applause but without ecstasy and standing ovation. Have you been at football games in America? That's were I saw warlike crowds.

Something is terribly wrong with some people here.

Ven

Match Penalty
I notice how the 'controversy' is mostly fostered by people who have an open strong dislike of Russia as well as the Koreans who are obsessed with Yuna.

There is certain elements that desperately did not want a Rus to medal, specifically Yulia. I personally saw USA skating journalists on Twitter that were basically openly hoping for Yulia to falter. Then they got their wish. Then Adelina came a long out of nowhere at it drove them nuts.

This just isn't true, and it seems the reverse case is what is going on here....ultra Russian nationalism to the point of psychotic, such as we've seen in horrific periods of time in other countries in the past. Not just limited to sports, but also other aspects of life these days.

In fact, there were many Western people (including me) who were hoping for Sotnikova to medal. There were lots of Americans who know nothing about figure skating who loved Lipnitskaia in the Team Event, she was all the rave.

But after the individual event, not just Koreans or mythical Russian haters, all kinds of different nationalities saw the results were a farce. This thread and countless others around the internet validate why figure skating is a farce and not a real sport. Let's wait for all of the articles next year about how the arenas are half empty, television money has dried up, the ISU is going broke, figure skating is dead. The same tired and false arguments will be trotted out ... it's the judging system ... it's the cookie cutter programs of CoP ... it's this ... it's that ... blah blah blah.

This thread tells you the real reason why figure skating is dead ... because it's a farce and the results do not match what people see with their own eyes. Imagine how unpopular football would be, if the fans saw one team thoroughly outplay another, but the result always seemed arbitrary and determined by excessive penalty calls. At first, people would complain. Later, they would simply stop caring and find some other form of entertainment. Such is the case with skating ... people simply don't care anymore, nor should they based on what we all saw in Sochi.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice

When you have half of the audience leave the building just Plushenko became injured, bummer yes. But to not support any of the other skaters?
I remember watching 2002 Cup of Russia where Sasha Cohen skated 2 clean programs. Irina Slutskaya finished 1st in the Short with a good skate as well, faltering in the LP.
Victoria Volchkova win in the long program at the time was questionable though. The audience was wonderful and apprieciated Sasha's performances honestly. I don't think they would have minded her winning the long and the top step her marks were held down on purpose by "the judges" That was 12 years ago. For the Short she had the best malaguena program, in my opinion of all of skating. Her Rachmaninoff LP was also powerful and delicate all into one. The Rachmaninoff LP was definitely more difficult and interesting that Volchkova's Air on a G-String LP. Yet stil,"you know".

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm in no way a Russia hater, on the contrary. But, the crowd in Sochi was not good at all. I have nothing against being a pro Rus. when in Russia, it's the same for any country, as long as there is appreciation and warm applaudes for other skaters as well, like in Japan or in Canada for example.

Yes, because most fans of figure skating enjoy skaters from all countries - we are not anti-Russian. Alexei Yagudin, who was Russian, was enormously popular here in North America (more so than in Russia). Gordeeva & Grinkov were also well-liked during the 1990's and people came to see them on Stars On Ice. So when figure skating fans object to biased judging in Russia or the way the crowds were, it is not because they don't like Russians - it is because there are concerns about the way the event will be managed.

bara1968

On the Ice
@sam No people are in general talking about ladies LP at Sochi. While Yuna waited for her score after her performance, people shouted Russia like crazy, rather than applause in respectful way. (Of course by this time Russians knew who she was-the leader after the short program). And not to mention the cold reception foreign skaters got from the audience. There was undeniable big contrast between Canadians at WC2013, Japanese atWC2014 and Russians at Olympics 2014.

I sincerely do hope that some other country and city can host WC 2017.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
And not to mention the cold reception foreign skaters got from the audience. There was a undeniable big contrast between Canadians at WC2013, Japanese atWC2014 and Russians at Olympics 2014.

Yes, the skaters at the Worlds in Japan last month all said how much they loved competing in Japan - we don't hear that about Russia, from what I can tell.

yay

On the Ice
So you hated the same way both the GPF(Sochi) and the Worlds(Moscow) held in Russia?

Ugh, again - Sochi's audience/judging at the Olympics have nothing to do with WC 2017.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
@sam No people are in general talking about ladies LP at Sochi. While Yuna waited for her score after her performance, people shouted Russia like crazy, rather than applause in respectful way. (Of course by this time Russians knew who she was-the leader after the short program). And not to mention the cold reception foreign skaters got from the audience. There was undeniable big contrast between Canadians at WC2013, Japanese atWC2014 and Russians at Olympics 2014.

One thing is the particular situation in women's LP (I cannot fully relate now - I watched it on TV). And the other is the generalization for the whole event which is way off as I was at 2 events (men LP and women SP) and felt nothing dramatic. Also cannot remember that people complained about pairs and dances. And as for that specific one we will see what happens in Korea if any Russian skater leads after SP and some Korean skater closely trails - how friendly the Korean crowd will be to the Russian. Again, I cannot defend that particular case - I just did not remember the crowd's reaction to Yuna's LP - may be will take a look at youtube. But if the crowd was really nasty, I agree it is lamentable. But one more time it is over the top to spill one case over the whole country and its fans with all the hate this thread showed.

gmyers

Record Breaker
All skaters in sochi got respectful applause. The audience really rallied for Abbott! It is crazy how because Yuna and VMDW are considered the best they should have gotten the loudest and biggest cheers! Why? Why did they deserve huge demonstrations and the most applause. All the coverage of the Olympics PROVES all skaters got respectful applause! All the skaters were treated well in Sochi. All the skaters were fine.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
All skaters in sochi got respectful applause. The audience really rallied for Abbott! It is crazy how because Yuna and VMDW are considered the best they should have gotten the loudest and biggest cheers! Why? Why did they deserve huge demonstrations and the most applause. All the coverage of the Olympics PROVES all skaters got respectful applause! All the skaters were treated well in Sochi. All the skaters were fine.

Tell that to Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, or the Germans when they fell in their FS. Oh, and every man who had to skate after Plushenko. :rolleye:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I think the crowd at Sochi 2017 will be different from the OG. It will attract more dedicated skating fans and not just casual sport fans. The atmosphere will be more like 2005 and 2011 worlds and even last fall's Rostelecom, methinks.

I doubt it. At best, it will have the same level of hostile nationalism and ignorance of FS. At worst, it will actually get a lot worse. I suspect the latter.

Respectable applause followed by "Russia! Russia!"? Sure... And don't tell me that fans in the US/Japan/Canada, etc, scream their respective country names while ANOTHER skater has just skated. :rolleye:

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
I doubt it. At best, it will have the same level of hostile nationalism and ignorance of FS. At worst, it will actually get a lot worse. I suspect the latter.

Respectable applause followed by "Russia! Russia!"? Sure... And don't tell me that fans in the US/Japan/Canada, etc, scream their respective country names while ANOTHER skater has just skated. :rolleye:

Why do you doubt it? The crowds in 2011 and 2005 were respectful and not hostile at all...

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
Tell that to Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, or the Germans when they fell in their FS. Oh, and every man who had to skate after Plushenko. :rolleye:

I thought the audience in Sochi was lukewarm but I thought the Vancouver audience was the same with American skaters. My only problem was the chanting after and before programs, that was incredibly rude.

xabia

On the Ice
I think NISA is also bidding for Glasgow to host 2017 worlds. Personally I'd love it to be in Scotland. :clap: NISA did well with the 2012 EUropean championships so I think they could pull it off.

Yes - let's hear it for Escocia!

cebi26

On the Ice
I hope that it gets picked just to laugh at the never ending whining of some people here :laugh:

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I hope the bid fails. Nothing that has happened in Ukraine since the end of the Olympic games should be rewarded with another World Championship in Russia until the hostility dies down. There need to be consequences for the actions. Does the ISU have the balls to take a stance?