New Pair team Marchei and Hotarek | Page 4 | Golden Skate

New Pair team Marchei and Hotarek

pingu

Rinkside
Trunk means schiena, tronco in Italian. I am not sure about twists, but I think Ondrej is very good at jump throws, if I remember correctly someone up in this thread wrote that he is not good at throws but IMO he has no problems in that.

alebi

Medalist
I must have missed the part in the article saying that Stefania had decided to end the partnership. Both Neveitalia and Gazzetta's articles didn't state any certain fact, except for the end of the partnership, so it's pointless to state who broke up with whom.

you're right, I was mislead by the fact that everyone is talking about a new couple with Ondrej but not with Stefania and Stefy going maybe in USA. In fact when Alba said Stefy wasn't going to retire I was surprised. Once again.. when journalists report half of the news they only give rise to speculations.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is ridiculous. So skaters should post every single fact happening in their lives right away, before waiting for a new situation to settle itself, for the sake of poor fans who are eagerly waiting for news? Come on, it's their lives, I too have no idea why Stefania and Ondrej have split up and why Ondrej is trying out with Valentina, but there must be an explanation for everything and I am sure that when the skaters themselves will want to speak out and explain why they decided to make such changements in their careers, they will. Until that day I am certainly not going to be angry or disappointed towards them as it's their life and their career, not mine.

Whoa! I didn't mean that every skater should tell everybody everything about their lives. They deserve to have privacy over most aspects of their lives.

All I am saying is that the way this story has come out is a mess. And because the story came out around the same time as the GP assignments, and the skaters involved were listed the same way as before, it has caused a lot of confusion.

It would have been a lot better if, after the story broke in the newspaper, somebody would have come forward and explained just what was going on, so as to avoid a repeat of the fiasco and mud slinging we saw with the Illinykh/Katsalapov/Sinitsina/Zhiganshin saga.

And since Valentina is the one that has taken us all by surprise by switching categories at a time when she was becoming a real contender on the international stage, I felt that it should be her that explained just what is happening with her Singles career, and helped us (her fans) to understand why she made the decision to try Pairs.

We don't need to know everything that led to Stefania and Ondrej splitting, and what led to him then pairing up with Valentina. All we need is confirmation of who is going to be competing in what category this season. (And, by the sounds of things, so does the Italian Federation...)

If only somebody would comment on that, then all this speculation would end and we could concentrate on looking forward to the new season.

Once again.. when journalists report half of the news they only give rise to speculations.

Oh, don't start me on journalists only telling half a story. I live in a country with tribal politics, and tribal media. And there have been more problems caused than enough by only hearing half a story...

Carolina is now a full-time university student and AFAIK she is not planning to skate competitively anymore. Leo Luca has been skating with her elder sister Lucrezia in the Junior ice dance category for the past season.

Mmmm. So Leo Luca has switched from Pairs to Dance. You don't hear about that happening too often.

Thanks for the info. You know, I was always intrigued by Carolina Gillespie. Largely because I know quite a few people with the same surname, and was wondering if she had any connections to Ireland! :laugh:

Good luck to her with her studies!

CaroLiza_fan

pingu

Rinkside
Carolina's family is from Sheffield if I remember correctly.

About berton hotarek, we'll probably eventually find out what happened, but if there haven't been official statements so far then it means that the skaters don't want to talk about it with the press yet.

hanca

Record Breaker
Personally, I still believe that if Valentina carried on in Singles, she could have got onto the podium in Europeans this coming season.

Are you serious? Russia has 3 slots at the Europeans, and I can't see Marchei beating Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova or Pogorilaya, so it looks that there will be Russian sweep at ladies at Europeans. Valentina would have better chance to get a medal at 4CC (if Italy wasn't in Europe and she could compete at 4CC).

Alba

Record Breaker
Are you serious? Russia has 3 slots at the Europeans, and I can't see Marchei beating Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Radionova or Pogorilaya, so it looks that there will be Russian sweep at ladies at Europeans. Valentina would have better chance to get a medal at 4CC (if Italy wasn't in Europe and she could compete at 4CC).

I don't think the podium, unless something happens, but mayber 4rth place. Which by the way will still be difficult because Meitè and the Wienzierl will improve even more. Kira will be there also.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't see Valentina medaling at 4CC either even with the Japanese Ladies weaker then they have been in over a decade.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Yes. I am.

Of course, all things being equal, it will be a Russian clean sweep of the podium. And given that Russia is my favourite team, I'm not complaining!

But, how often do all the Russian skaters skate cleanly in both segments? Not very often. There is normally at least one of the girls that makes a hash of one of the segments, and is not able to do well enough in the other to make up for it.

Although Meite has become a serious challenger to the position in the past season or 2, for me Marchei is still the best of the rest in the European field. If one of the Russians does mess up, it should be between these 2 for the final podium position. And, personally, I would go for Marchei.

I don't think the podium, unless something happens, but mayber 4rth place. Which by the way will still be difficult because Meitè and the Wienzierl will improve even more. Kira will be there also.

I have to admit, I had forgotten about Kiira. She is another that would normally be in the mix for 4th position. But, she has been out of action for so long that we just don't know what form she has. So, it will be interesting to see what she can do in whatever competitions she enters over the next 6 months.

As for Wienzierl, I would give it another year before she is challenging the girls I have already mentioned.

But, those are just my thoughts. And, being a big fan of Vale, I admit that I am probably totally biased! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Without the Russians Europe really has no top notch Ladies now. Kostner carried Europe for a long time didn't she?

hanca

Record Breaker
Yes. I am.

Of course, all things being equal, it will be a Russian clean sweep of the podium. And given that Russia is my favourite team, I'm not complaining!

But, how often do all the Russian skaters skate cleanly in both segments? Not very often. There is normally at least one of the girls that makes a hash of one of the segments, and is not able to do well enough in the other to make up for it.

Although Meite has become a serious challenger to the position in the past season or 2, for me Marchei is still the best of the rest in the European field. If one of the Russians does mess up, it should be between these 2 for the final podium position. And, personally, I would go for Marchei.

I would like to point out that even when they skated not clean, 4 Russian ladies got to the GPF last year. Even when they don't skate clean Russian ladies are still at much higher level than Valentina so the chances her beating them is very low...Valentina didn't manage to beat them last season, why should she suddenly start beating them now?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This is weird. I would have thought if anything they might split due to his retiring, due to his upcoming marriage (rumored) to Anna C. It is one reason I guessed her possibly retiring too, especialy after her world title, but figured if only one were to sacrifice and retire to take care of upcoming children, housekeeping, etc...it would be him. I never figured she would be dumping him as a pairs partner, or he would be continuing with another partner though. I figured it would either be them continuing together as a pair, or his retirement. I wonder why she would leave him, or he would prefer to skate with someone else. They really had their best season ever last season, even if it didn't end as strong as it started.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
So if Stefania is not retiring, why is the chance she will partner with Rockne not been raised? I don't see how his new job precludes him from still competing, and he has not formally retired. Sure, the size difference is not ideal, but you have two very accomplished pairs skaters, engaged, suddenly both unpartnered -- why wouldn't they give it a shot?

They're marrying, so citizenship shouldn't be a huge issue for long, the US field is suddenly even more depleted than usual. . . I just don't get why there isn't more speculation (except in that Italian sports newspaper a few months back) that they'd partner up.

pingu

Rinkside
Stefania is 160cm tall and Rockne is about 174cm tall, he's really too short for her (or she is too tall for him, whichever version you may prefer).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Joubert also will skate with Gerboldt it seems for Russia

http://instagram.com/p/qWfE5emSox/

LOL Oh good grief. Let's just bring back the Protopopovs while we are at it and maybe Patrick Chan should team up with Carolina to try to win OGM and Takahashi can skate with Mao Asada as a pairs team for Japan. Heck give poor Fumie Suguri a shot with Plushenko. something must be in the air - people have trouble retiring, chasing after dreams - okay that should be fine but you wonder if the world is out of wack :) I guess as long a s no one gets hurt. Still it seems a llittle strange.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL Oh good grief. Let's just bring back the Protopopovs while we are at it and maybe Patrick Chan should team up with Carolina to try to win OGM and Takahashi can skate with Mao Asada as a pairs team for Japan. Heck give poor Fumie Suguri a shot with Plushenko. something must be in the air - people have trouble retiring, chasing after dreams - okay that should be fine but you wonder if the world is out of wack :) I guess as long a s no one gets hurt. Still it seems a llittle strange.

Yeah it seems a bit sad that these singles skaters who are past their prime don't seem to be able to retire.

anyanka

Record Breaker

I know you're kidding but ... I kinda wanna see this happen.