Skaters who retired from competition on their own terms | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters who retired from competition on their own terms

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Anissina and Peizerat might not have won many world titles, but had a very great career consisting of European gold (twice!), a GPF win, and have two Olympic medals, retiring after they won the first skating gold for France in 70 years. They set up France as a formidable ice dance country, with Delobel/Schoenfelder and Pechalat/Bourzat directly following them. They had some of the best exhibitions, and their reverse lift was to die for. I'll always think it was very cool how Marina ended up winning in front of L/A as well after Ilia kind of dumped her for Irina (a team which I also ended up loving) as well :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
All the 2006 OGMs save Plushenko...

The first skater I thought of was Jeffrey Buttle. Winning Worlds (unexpectedly) with two flawless performances and then calling it a day because you've achieved all you wanted is textbook "went out on his own terms".

Though he didn't finish on top, I think Brian Joubert went out on his own terms: he wanted a good Olympic experience, and he got it. The placement was secondary to the performance.

And of course, Sarah Meier's Euros win can't be beat: she didn't just go out on her own terms, she had the perfect fairy tale ending, and well deserved too.

noskates

Record Breaker
I've always liked Ryan Bradley. I think he's a great showman and has a captivating personality on the ice. BUT.....I'm not so sure he retired on his own terms as much as he got out at the first time he was on top!!!! He had consistency problems his entire skating career until that one magical night when he won Nationals. Good for him! I only wish, like with so many other skaters, there was more of a professional career to be had. Saw him in Stars on Ice and he was a lot of fun!

Anissina and Peizerat might not have won many world titles, but had a very great career consisting of European gold (twice!), a GPF win, and have two Olympic medals, retiring after they won the first skating gold for France in 70 years. They set up France as a formidable ice dance country, with Delobel/Schoenfelder and Pechalat/Bourzat directly following them. They had some of the best exhibitions, and their reverse lift was to die for. I'll always think it was very cool how Marina ended up winning in front of L/A as well after Ilia kind of dumped her for Irina (a team which I also ended up loving) as well :)

Agreed! At first I didn't like them much, because the judges seemed to play favorites with them over Bourne and Kraatz. Then when I really paid attention to what they were doing, I was thrilled. That ardent Romeo and Juliet, including the reverse lifts used just right to express the emotion, was a knockout. After that, I was a devoted fan. In fact, I preferred their R & J to their 2002 OGM program in terms of music and meaning.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Pechalat and Bourzat.

Hmm, I wonder though because they were so close to winning Worlds (personally I would have picked them as the champions but that's probably my long time sentimental feelings talking, I'm not really knowledgeable about ice dancing), I don't know if they were satisfied with a bronze or wanted more, I really wish they could have won an Olympic medal though

mrrice

Record Breaker
How about Peggy Flemming. National, World, and Olympic Champion. Such a long career which spanned every aspect of skating. And though she didn't always agree, a Beauty !

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As much as some rotten people love to bash/criticize/laugh at her for it, I do respect Suguri for continuing to compete (even if she's obviously past her prime and not even close to how good she once was). Sometimes you just skate for yourself (Sandhu competing at Canadians last year was a good example of it). When Suguri inevitably does retire from amateur competition, she'll certainly be able to say she did it the way she wanted to, and even though it's a bit sad to see her doing poorly, it's still admirable. I mean, she skated a clean SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZbzI_xw28 at the age of 29 (and not many skaters do that)

Meoima

Match Penalty
As much as some rotten people love to bash/criticize/laugh at her for it, I do respect Suguri for continuing to compete (even if she's obviously past her prime and not even close to how good she once was). Sometimes you just skate for yourself (Sandhu competing at Canadians last year was a good example of it). When Suguri inevitably does retire from amateur competition, she'll certainly be able to say she did it the way she wanted to, and even though it's a bit sad to see her doing poorly, it's still admirable.
:love::love::love: great comment!!

lefeury

Rinkside
Also Johnny Weir. Never getting more than a bronze medal in worlds and 3 national championships, He went out on his own terms after the 2nd Olympics he competed in. He skated 2 beautiful clean performances and pleased his fans to no end who always loved his skating but were frustrated at his inconsistency and lack of work ethic early in his career. Although he did attempt a comeback he quickly realized his limitations and withdrew. He managed to get a lot of work commentating and professional shows, especially foreign shows. Must've made an impact somehow.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also Johnny Weir. Never getting more than a bronze medal in worlds and 3 national championships, He went out on his own terms after the 2nd Olympics he competed in. He skated 2 beautiful clean performances and pleased his fans to no end who always loved his skating but were frustrated at his inconsistency and lack of work ethic early in his career. Although he did attempt a comeback he quickly realized his limitations and withdrew. He managed to get a lot of work commentating and professional shows, especially foreign shows. Must've made an impact somehow.

I disagree with this. He originally went out acting and feeling like a victim and a martyr. When he came back, it was to realise very quickly that the new generation of American men were better than he was. So he feigned injury, continued to beg his fans for money, and then quietly let the registration deadline slip by because he did not want to have to suffer the ignominy of being beaten by a bunch of younger skaters.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think the votes for Boitano prove how, well, pointless this so-called fairytale ending is. Like everyone conveniently forgot that he came back in Lillehammer... and got the worst result among the older competitors (him, Kurt, and Viktor), including uncharacteristically mucking up both his triple axels. But now, so many years later, what people remember is him beating his chief rival in 1988, in his rival's home country. It's enough that he had that moment--the fact that he came back and wasn't successful doesn't reflect badly on him.

Also, I think it's crucial to distinguish between the ending we fans want, and the ending the skaters themselves want. Yagudin, Evan, Johnny (very, very arguable, but I'll include him since some mentioned him), and Boitano circa. 1988 got the "fairytale" ending as defined by outsiders. But clearly none of them were satisfied with those endings--Yagudin actually attempted to compete the following season (against his doctor's advice), Evan and Johnny both made a stink about coming back, Boitano actually did come back... On the other hand, I don't think V/M, Plushy, or Yuna regret coming back, even if the result wasn't what fans would've wanted.

I guess, my point is, everybody has their own journey and own ending, and who is to say which ending is better? Many years later it wouldn't matter--those who achieved a lot in the sport or influenced it in some way will be remembered, no matter how their careers ended.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Well, they have the skate of their lives there, And frankly I find their last performance at Worlds 2013 much more memorable and creative than D/W and V/M.

I actually think it was one of their worst programs, the FD anyway, and I'm a big fan. They were really channeling G/P, especially with Shae-Lynn's Pasha hair. The OD was ok, but the music was horrible. I wish they could have won the 2002 Worlds instead.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I disagree with this. He originally went out acting and feeling like a victim and a martyr. When he came back, it was to realise very quickly that the new generation of American men were better than he was. So he feigned injury, continued to beg his fans for money, and then quietly let the registration deadline slip by because he did not want to have to suffer the ignominy of being beaten by a bunch of younger skaters.

I agree with this.. I don't think the opportunities he got had anything to do with his short comeback. That was just a blip on the radar.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yagudin actually attempted to compete the following season (against his doctor's advice)

Yes. This is why I absolutely cannot understand anyone who claims that Yagudin went out on his own terms. I can't imagine that his own terms were to be forced to go over to the referee at the start of your long program, tell them you can't do it, and then go to centre ice to take your bows without the music even starting. In Canada. At a Grand Prix, not Worlds, not the Olympics.

I imagine that Yagudin's "own terms" probably involved continuing the fight with Plushenko all the way to Turin. But his body had its own terms, and it won.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes. This is why I absolutely cannot understand anyone who claims that Yagudin went out on his own terms. I can't imagine that his own terms were to be forced to go over to the referee at the start of your long program, tell them you can't do it, and then go to centre ice to take your bows without the music even starting. In Canada. At a Grand Prix, not Worlds, not the Olympics.

I imagine that Yagudin's "own terms" probably involved continuing the fight with Plushenko all the way to Turin. But his body had its own terms, and it won.
Actually Alexei could have gone against his doctor if he hadn't won the OGM, GPF and World the previous year. We all know who we are talking about. 4 times world champion, OGM, if he hadn't had all those titles, he could have fought all his way to Turin.:)

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't know if I'd count Oksana's as a fairytale ending...... She won OGM and went pro. However, between knee surgery and body changes, her pro career was not as successful. She's certainly had frequent and varied issues since her OGM.

I"d have to say that Nancy Kerrigan ended her amateur career on a somewhat high note. Her final season had her skating more consistently than she had ever in her amateur career. The 1992 Ladies' Olympics saw numerous falls - I think Kristi was the only one who didn't have bruises after her free skate. Compare Nancy's performances in 1992 vs 1994 and it was 2 different skaters. Also, if the winter Olympics had not switched from 1996, to 1994, Nancy probably would've retired in relative obscurity.

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't know if I'd count Oksana's as a fairytale ending...... She won OGM and went pro. However, between knee surgery and body changes, her pro career was not as successful. She's certainly had frequent and varied issues since her OGM.

We're talking about amateur figure skating though.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thanks for your examples - Elizabeth Manley is a great one! another Paul Wylie moment. Or a pre-Paul Wylie moment?

And yes, I had Kim and V/M as not leaving on a high note. My point was exactly to ask why didn't they leave after Vancouver - I'm so glad all three stuck around and an Olympic Gold followed by Silver is pretty stunning especially because Kim and V/M performed amazingly in Sochi.
My point is just that I was dwelling on how improbable it is that you are going to "leave on your own terms" or with a fairy tale ending. More than likely there is going to be a bitter sweet moment and you just have to look at the career as a whole - Kwan, Kim, V/M - maybe they didn't leave on a Yagudin note but they still left as legends.

In my perfect world Yuna would have competed flat out after Vancouver with no breaks and kept dominating and won gold. But she did what was right for her and she remained stunning to watch. For her to pull off two clean Olympics in a row - I am still flabbergasted that she was capable of it. It wasn't good enough for gold but it was good enough for me!

Oops. I meant to say My point WASN'T exactly to ask why they didn't leave after Vancouver, as I am glad they stuck around :)

Oksana and Tara are interesting cases - they definitely left competitive skating on a high note, the highest possible. Yet they were so young that they seemed to have had trouble adjusting to life after competitive skating, especially Oskana. Many have said Tara probably made the right decision as training had taken a toll on her body. She seems to have come through okay. I've enjoyed her return to the scene through commentary.

I think about this every time I see a young skater or any athlete do well at an Olympics - I always think, how wonderful but I hope they are able to adjust to the aftermath. Michelle and Kristi and, I think, Irina, have all done well. And Sarah Hughes too - in the end it was probably the right decision for her to try one more season. That way she probably left knowing it was time and not wondering "what if."