Greatest skaters not to win?? | Golden Skate

Greatest skaters not to win??

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Who, in your opinion are the best skaters, who have never won a major title? (internationally)

Mine:

Nancy Kerrigan
Surya Bonaly (I know she won many Euor's, but I still think she should have won Worlds)
Tonya Harding
Rahkamo/Kokko

Any others???

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen - no need to dissect, we all know the issues

Ilya Klimkin - he has it all - artistry, athleticism - just needs to bring up his consistency and "step it up a notch"

Janet Lynn - she didn't win an international title, did she? She's supposed to be one of the best free skaters, but the big titles were out of reach

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Alexander Abt & Philippe Candeloro, right off the top of my head--most of my other faves still have a shot at it:)

Sarah

Sarah, what a striking picture of Sasha you have for your avatar. Can you give me a link to a big version?

Mathman

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Thanks

I'm glad someone noticed that:) Here's the link; I was just browsing through the screencaptures at sashafans.com and I actually saw another that is gorgeous from the Sears Canadian Open 2002, the first on this page:

http://www.sashafans.com/media/screencaptures/2002sears/index.php

(isn't that special? :) )

but it's not as unique as this picture (first pic under the "Long Program" heading), in which she truly looks shocked (probably due to my bold resolution to get tickets to Torino:laugh: )

http://www.sashafans.com/media/screencaptures/2003abcchallenge/index.php

Cheers,
Sarah

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, Sarah. My faves: From the first link, LP, catch-foot spiral. I am usually suspicious of catch-foot moves, because it seems to me that if you are really about anything you should be able to get that leg up there without using your hands. But this one, wow, look at that stretch!

Also, SP, second picture, spiral. That's about as close to 180 degrees as anyone is ever going to get. SP, third picture, Charlotte. And that's more that 180 degrees.

Second link, first picture. What a beauty!

Mathman

PS. The way the board is presently configured, only moderators can delete posts. You can, of course, edit the contents of a post to leave it blank.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I am usually suspicious of catch-foot moves, because it seems to me that if you are really about anything you should be able to get that leg up there without using your hands.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks for deleting my post; some of her spirals in the Romeo & Juliet program with the costume I actually liked (2003 Nats-positively breathtaking blue dress--I like blue:) ) were also exquisite, and ITA about that catch-foot; it looks like it could pull her arm out of the socket, the leg gets so much stretch on its own:)

Sarah

p.s. OK, back on this topic, I think Fumie's another one who, though still eligible, has fewer and fewer chances of winning a 'big one' as the years go by and the competition gets stiffer--sadly enough, I think she's gotten into her groove and is skating the best at a time when everyone else seems to be as well.

floskate

On the Ice
Definately Janet Lynn
Lynn Nightingale was a terrific free skater who never got anywhere really on the international scene. She won Skate Canada but other than that??
Fumio Igarashi and Emi Watanabe from Japan mainly due to awful figures.
I guess those are a bit obscure, but to me they were really great skaters.
ooh - Paul Wylie - never won a national, world or olympic title but is truly an awesome skater.
I'm sure there are loads though.....

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sarahmistral said:
Alexander Abt & Philippe Candeloro, right off the top of my head--most of my other faves still have a shot at it:)Sarah
Sarah, didn't Phillippe get the Olympic bronze in 94 & 98?

Dee

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Greatest skaters and teams never to win an Olympic medal:
Todd Eldredge USA
Bourne & Kraatz CAN
Underhill & Martini CAN
Yuka Sato JPN
Tanja Szewczenko GER (I always rooted for her! She really
seemed like such a genuinely sweet person.)
Tonya Harding USA
Nicole Bobek USA (She could have been legendary had she
chosen not just to train for Nationals!)

Greatest Gold medal favorites never to win the Olympic title:
Michelle Kwan USA
Kurt Browning CAN
Elvis Stojko CAN
Babilonia & Gardner USA
Irina Slutskaya RUS
Midori Ito JPN

thvudragon

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
Greatest skaters and teams never to win an Olympic medal:
Todd Eldredge USA
Bourne & Kraatz CAN
Underhill & Martini CAN
Yuka Sato JPN
Tanja Szewczenko GER (I always rooted for her! She really
seemed like such a genuinely sweet person.)
Tonya Harding USA
Nicole Bobek USA (She could have been legendary had she
chosen not just to train for Nationals!)

Greatest Gold medal favorites never to win the Olympic title:
Michelle Kwan USA
Kurt Browning CAN
Elvis Stojko CAN
Babilonia & Gardner USA
Irina Slutskaya RUS
Midori Ito JPN
You should also add Usova and Zhulin to the list.

TV

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Good call, Thvudragon. I've never been a huge ice dance fan but Usova & Zhulin were one of my favorites. They were great. I wish they would have gone with something like they did in Prague for their Free Dance in Lillehammer, but what they did was still wonderful.

Ximena

Final Flight
I think Lambiel, he has the jumps, he has the spins and he has the artistry. He is quite young so he has time to polish all that and become a very good skater.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Greatest Skaters not to win an Olympic medal (of any color)

Todd & Kurt! :cry:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Greatest skaters not to win

As far as greatest skaters not to win an Olympic Medal, Denise Biellmann would definitely be on my list. Her SP and LP in Lake Placid, from all accounts, blew away the field (many argue she should have won the SP). Not only did she have a triple lutz -- unheard of among women in the late 70s -- she had great flexibility and was one of the finest spinners in the history of the sport to boot. Her downfall: like Watanabe and Lynn, she was buried by school figures. It was great that she came back and won '81 Worlds, though.

Kurt Browning would be another. He was unquestionably the "complete package." A great jumper, footwork technician and performer. It was extremely sad what happened to him in '92 and '94. I can't think of any other 4-time World Champions who never won an Olympic medal. Casablanca remains a classic of men's LPs.

I will also say Angela Nikodinov. That may sound strange, but Angela has all the qualities to be a fantastic skater -- high, gorgeous jumps, excellent line and posture, good choreography and very strong basic skating skills. Unfortunately, she has little fortitude as a competitor.

I would like to add Tiffany Chin, but I'm not sure if I can since she burned out and didn't even compete in 1988, which potentially could have been her star making moment.

Last edited:

floskate

On the Ice
ITA about Biellmann. She was light years ahead of anyone at the Olympics. :D I wish she'd stuck around for '84. She retired at 18? 19? I think she could have done a lot more in amateur skating and if she had stayed in the history books would look a lot different thats for sure!

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Yes I'd agree with Usova/Zhulin. OK, they won worlds 1993, but I thought they were unlucky at both Albertville and Lillehammer (esp. Lilliehammer!!) Always loved this team! :love:

I also remembered Drobizako/Vanagas. I don't know if they actually deserved to ever win (tbh I can't really call between the top 5/6 dance couples, its my weakest event!) But I always enjoyed them more than anyone.