Skaters' personality and fandom | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Skaters' personality and fandom

You're kind of mixing everything together in your post.

BJK was a very important activist in women tennis. Her sexual orientation had nothing to do with anything. She did an enormous job for women tennis. WTA's popularity and mainstream presence today is mainly her work. This is exactly what I am talking about. Nothing else. That figure skating needs a person (or an organization) like that. People with marketing visions.

My late addition to the post was only a post scriptum reply to somebody promoting pushing the boundary between femininity/masculinity. It had nothing to do with the point above.

I am just wondering how close the parallel is is, after all. Billie Jean King built on the already extant popularity of men's tennis and campaigned based on the premise that women deserve a piece of the pie. The comparison might be to Scott Hamilton. Figure skating was a popular women's sport. Ice Capades didn't want to hire Scott because, who wants to see a man skate? So Scott started his own show, Stars on Ice, largely to prove that there is a place for men's skating despite the prevailing view to the contrary.

The problem that figure skating faces is quite of different nature, IMHO. Traditionally, to the ticket-buying public, figure skating was pretty girls in short skirts. We want to change that to, talented athletes displaying amazing technical skills. Will this wash?

I think it is a tough sell, in part because there are already many, many other sports to watch in which talented athletes display amazing technical skills. But then again, look at the movie industry. We used to expect female movie stars to be glamorous and beautiful. Now we don't care about that any more -- we want movie stars who can act. Meryl Streep, not Marilyn Monroe.

Last edited:

aqua70

Rinkside
I think there really isn't anyone like a Billy Jean King or Scott Hamilton (whether we like him or not) in skating right now. There really isn't anyone with an x-factor who's a good skater & who wants to be the sport's ambassador on a global level. There's lots of skaters that I like, root for, & follow (e.g. Hanyu, Fernandez, Amodio), but the current trend of localization frustrates me. Especially with a sport that desperately someone to be an international representative.

I love watching the ice shows & stars in East Asia, Russia, & Europe. But it's hard to get to know someone's personality when your main sources of info are translations or someone's fan cam or a show's behind the scene footage--not their skating, which is really necessary because the skating--for the most part--has been blah

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
Ashley Wagner has loads of personality, and she's shown the ability to evade the USFS muzzle. But she doesn't have the results to make her a star.

Kim YuNa has star quality , and results- but she was never marketed internationally.

Lysacek had results but zero personality.

A number of the US men have great personalities, but they don't have the results and they are muzzled.

Gracie has potential.

A skater's twitter or instagram or other social media site is a great way to learn about skaters.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^Some actors don't have SNA at all but they are extremely popular. So I don't think it's the SNA that matters. It's more like exposure, personality and great results combine, and yes we need more drama.

What if Yulia, Elena Radionova, Liza Tuk, Plushenko, Yuzuru Hanyu, Javi, Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada, Yuna Kim... Were all Americans? They all have some stories behind and could be great for marketing. They all the the looks, the up and down moments, the drama, the come back, medals...

I still doubt that FS could ever be main stream, but if all of the above stars were American, I am sure that would make a huge difference.

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
I thought Jason Brown did amazingly well last year in terms of popularity and going viral. He slowed down this season, but I imagine it will pick up again.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I believe only those athletes will be great stars who have personality , specific style, personal attractiveness and outstanding results. If something is missing won't be great star...
And that is the difference between the Russian and the American skaters the Russian coaches not only train skaters, but raise personalities, too.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I believe only those athletes will be great stars who have personality , specific style, personal attractiveness and outstanding results. If something is missing won't be great star...
And that is the difference between the Russian and the American skaters the Russian coachesnot only train skaters, but raise personalities, too.

Do they? Or, do they simply transfer their own perswonalities to skaters? ;)

I used to think that Plushy's style came from his personality until other Mishin's trainees started to look pretty much the same way. So, what has been going on here all the time?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Do they? Or, do they simply transfer their own perswonalities to skaters? ;)

I used to think that Plushy's style came from his personality until other Mishin's trainees started to look pretty much the same way. So, what has been going on here all the time?

This is my experience and probably their coaches have influence on them. The Russian skaters had great, different personalities in the past and they have in the present. So many divas among the women and many interesting men!

I never see similarities between Plushy and Gachinsky's style.. And I don't see similarities between Plush and Petrov... I see similarities in the jump technic

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This is my experience and probably their coaches have influence on them. The Russian skaters had great, different personalities in the past and they have in the present. So many divas among the women and many interesting men!

I never see similarities between Plushy and Gachinsky's style.. And I don't see similarities between Plush and Petrov... I see similarities in the jump technic

Now, I have to check which one was Gachinsky and which one was Petrov. My bad :)