Yuna's 2013 Worlds LP Score | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuna's 2013 Worlds LP Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Michelle once mentioned during an interview that skaters have to do so much more now than they did in the past. That it seems that they are rushing from one element to another because there are so many requirements. If skaters don't have to do all these transitions and level 3/4 step sequences and spins, more of them would probably be attempting 7 triple jumps. Jenny Kirk also jokes that some skaters then used the spins as their rest period and you can't really do that now.

Except that lots are attempting 7 triples. More than did under 6.0.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Her Les Miserables LP is just crossovers plus jumps with extremely well done posing. I think over 145 for that program is quite generous IMHO. The only LP's by Yuna which deserve high scores are her Scheherezade and Gershwin LP

Stay pressed.

Jenny81

Rinkside
Let us just get this out of the way...

All Yuna did well in Worlds 2013 were the jumps and she didn't even do ALL triple jumps. How can somebody be a World champion when she doesn't even attempt a triple loop. She was emotionless, even robotic. All those commentators from different countries that raved about her performance doesn't know anything about artistry if it hit them on the head, there are doubts if they even know anything about figure skating. I'm not even going to talk about how the audience were applauding and on their feet even before she finished. That is not worth mentioning.

The ISU was determined to make Kim Yuna the star of figure skating at the expense of other far worthier skaters. They must have been heavily influenced by the Korean federation. Instead of building skating rinks for their figure skaters or making their program stronger, the federation thought it was better to use that money to influence ISU or the judges for Kim Yuna. ISU also wanted to keep figure skating popular in South Korea. Okay, the South Korean market is actually smaller than Japan or China and South Korean singers/actors/actresses go out of their way to expand to those countries. But does ISU make logical decisions all the time?

I think this pretty much is all the explanation you need for Yuna's score at Worlds 2013 (or at any competition, really) :biggrin:

What the......:rolleye:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Are you being sarcastic?

I thought the LP score is fine, and the SP is underscored.

Yes I am LOL!!! But have heard all of these explanations before to explain Yuna's scores. I think that SP score reflects the fact that she skated to a piece of music that is really a matter of taste and unfamiliar (maybe if she went to more competitions earlier she could have fleshed it out more by the time of Worlds or given the judges/audiences time to warm up to it). She also skated unusually early (because she did not have the standing) and judges seem to be more conservative giving points so early in the competitions.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

All Yuna did well in Worlds 2013 were the jumps and she didn't even do ALL triple jumps. How can somebody be a World champion when she doesn't even attempt a triple loop. She was emotionless, even robotic. All those commentators from different countries that raved about her performance doesn't know anything about artistry if it hit them on the head, there are doubts if they even know anything about figure skating. I'm not even going to talk about how the audience were applauding and on their feet even before she finished. That is not worth mentioning.

The ISU was determined to make Kim Yuna the star of figure skating at the expense of other far worthier skaters. They must have been heavily influenced by the Korean federation. Instead of building skating rinks for their figure skaters or making their program stronger, the federation thought it was better to use that money to influence ISU or the judges for Kim Yuna. ISU also wanted to keep figure skating popular in South Korea. Okay, the South Korean market is actually smaller than Japan or China and South Korean singers/actors/actresses go out of their way to expand to those countries. But does ISU make logical decisions all the time?

I think this pretty much is all the explanation you need for Yuna's score at Worlds 2013 (or at any competition, really) :biggrin:

Don't believe a word of it.

Unless this is sarcastic, I can't really tell, There's not enough of a hint.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yuna got a lip call in her 2013 Worlds SP--just one example of how the tech panel can totally screw people over. She also got the "haven't competed in a while? Low PCS!" treatment (Same as she got in Sochi).

I do consider Send in the Clowns a better program than Kiss of the Vampire, but not by a big margin.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I must admit I am still a little giddy about The Kiss of the Vampire program.

I once wrote a tongue and cheek post on on her fan forum coming up with ideas for her new season program. I mentioned wanting her to try out a Vampire supernatural character like in the film Underworld Kate Backinsale character, aka dark Yuna mode aka Danse Macabre mode (bear in mind, it was after her surviving WC2011, self imposed exile from figure skating world for 1 year+) and then they announced she is going to do Kiss of the Vampire. I was like ...OKAY...cool! :think:

... but what I am really thinking is....why oh why of all vampire movies, David has to pick the WORST soundtrack from a film that no one has ever heard of, let alone watched?!! From a British B movie hammer horror of the 60s cold war periods. The sound track is practically unskatable, the film unwatchable, the acting was terrible and scarier than any actual fangs in my neck. Musically it is as unlyrical, unpleasant and unsoothing as you can possibly imagine in a winning ladies program. It is more sound effects than music. Is this the anti Chopin program or what?! Talk about alienating the audience and the judges. Why is she the victim and not the fierce and more instantly attractive vampire?! Talk about the opposite way to pursuing a 'winning' COP formula. I was even wondering if David is secretly torturing her fans for their devotion and patience as a cruel joke As well as torture Yuna by giving her the hardest most unattractive package to pull it off and see if she can some how survive it all? After all, after everything, she doesn't need to skate for points, might as well have a little fun, and transform all that angst at the time into her work,

Later at an ATS show press conference in Korea David confessed he has always wanted Yuna to try out a vampire character, and the fact he read this idea on her fan forum (!!) that year further helped him to make his decision. I was like :eek: Gee great thanks David, I hope I won't get blamed for this if this if this ends up bad. If I remember correctly, many people simply did not like that program at its first debut in NRW trophy (some still don't?) many however loved Les Mis right at the start.

Personally for me, it turned out MUCH better than I anticipated (cross/bless self). I find it to be this surprising endearing darkly little gem that uncannily mirrored her career/personal life at the time. The theme of Kiss of the Vampire: victim, escape, dark fantasy and rebirth as a superntural, contrast with the theme of Les Mis well - survival, overcoming, seek redemption, sacrifice, justice, heroism, humanity, peace. The bridging concepts from one of repression, liberation and then utter freedom in physicality and spirituality. Her Les Mis is one of EPIC Mission, as she skate away any regrets, self doubts, overcomes struggles to attain higher purpose. Sought peace and acceptance to deliver the recurring theme and characters of Jean Vajean, Fontine in Les Mis. As best artists do, they take what is there and make it their own. Both of her programs, in inception, direction, interpretation, realisation makes them uniquely and poignantly Yuna Kim programs, perfect for her at that period of her career and personal journey, and therefore they are successful artistic endeavours. In contemporary art, there's this thing about 'found object', and contextual setting makes them valuable art, even it may be a toilet (think Duchamp's urinal fountain) or a piece of brick. This is as closely to what I can imagine to a 'found object' program might look like. To find the most obscure music/sound effects from Videostore 1cent dust bin, totally devoid of any built-in credibility/quality/legitimacy/cultural values and see if they can transform it into a worthy and memorable cultural artefacts that is worth 2nd look.

Superficially, I do love her gorgeous costumes (A top 3 costume) and thought it paid tribute to the retro kitschy b movie roots well. That blue hue colour and dark morose red conveyed the vintage posters of horror/sci-fi b genre eerily as it should. Yuna was the exotic glammed up b movie scream queen on ice. V may be for Vampire, but for me V is for Victory, and V is for Vendetta :p

Last edited:

nguyenghita

On the Ice

So true!!!!! Love you :agree:

You said it better than all the haters, great job for a very well summary, hahaha :laugh2:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She also skated unusually early (because she did not have the standing) and judges seem to be more conservative giving points so early in the competitions.

I think this hurt Yuna in the SP both in 2013 and 2014. Leaving the Adelina comparisons out of it, Caro outscored Yuna by a decent margin in the Sochi SP PCS, while Yuna beat Caro by a decent margin in the LP PCS. Skating before the top competitors is always a disadvantage. Another example would be Yuna vs Mao; Mao skated later in the SP and finished 2 points behind Yuna in PCS. The PCS difference was more than double the SP (almost 5 points) in the LP, and we can all agree Mao's LP was far better than her SP.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I think this hurt Yuna in the SP both in 2013 and 2014. Leaving the Adelina comparisons out of it, Caro outscored Yuna by a decent margin in the Sochi SP PCS, while Yuna beat Caro by a decent margin in the LP PCS. Skating before the top competitors is always a disadvantage. Another example would be Yuna vs Mao; Mao skated later in the SP and finished 2 points behind Yuna in PCS. The PCS difference was more than double the SP (almost 5 points) in the LP, and we can all agree Mao's LP was far better than her SP.

I think the fact that Yuna only performed her programs once in major international competition also hurt her.

I remember watching her Sochi programs at the Olympics and thinking they were dull, boring, and uninspired. However, watching them over and over again I've come to love them.

The majority of the time, it takes months to season a program and get the audience behind it. Yuna really only had 1 chance to show those programs for people who weren't her ubers and weren't watching it non-stop in the little competitions she did in the fall before Worlds/Sochi.

Unless you're skating to music that is extremely well-known like Les Mis, you're not going to have that magical moment that silences critics. Send in the Clowns and Adios Nonino are well known, but those arrangements aren't going to impress people who aren't exactly Yuna ubers on first appearance.

I know she had her injury and couldn't do anything in the fall, but not competing a full season before Sochi is what let Yuna down in the end.

Critical things being said, I would rank her 2 Sochi programs as some of the best of the quad. ;)

kiara_bleu

On the Ice

In my opinion, Mao was also greatly affected by all the weirdness in Sochi. She deserved far higher scores than she got in the LP. But considering that she skated well before Julia Lipinskaia and Adelina Sotnikova, and there was probably a motivation to have those two skaters be in medal contention, Mao was scored conservatively in case Julia or Adelina do not have good LP skates. The three big threats for those medals were Yuna, Mao, and Carolina (along with the two Russians) after all.

Junstella

Rinkside
I think points were taken off for the hideous music. :)

Horror music isn't something that ladies are supposed to try, because it's difficult to interpret...
Very rare thing. It is 'shocking' rather than 'hideous'.

Last edited:

Junstella

Rinkside
All Yuna did well in Worlds 2013 were the jumps and she didn't even do ALL triple jumps. How can somebody be a World champion when she doesn't even attempt a triple loop.

:sarcasm:Flutz/3F which is more like 3L/3L which is more like 3S/Toe axel
Most of ladies have at least one of these errors, except Yuna/Caro/Tuk/Gold/Park...
By the way, since when did 3L become the hardest jump? Who said so? Oh, Yuna haters?:laugh:

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Medalist

Sochi was a surrealistic affair. I won't discuss Adelina's PCS scores. Enough to say that they made me go head scratching. I think most of us do agree that in the SP, Yuna and Caro were definitely way ahead of the pack after Mao's meltdown. I personally didn't think Yuna was marked down for skating earlier. Her PCS was in the ~35 range which was within what I would have expected for her performance. She even got better SS scores than Caro and TR scores were only slightly lower IIRC, even though Kostner clearly had the best transitions that night. Where Caro clearly outperformed her was in the PE/IN/CR - these three components are largely subjective but I do personally think Caro's Ave Maria was easier on the eye and more emotionally poignant. For some reason, Yuna's send in the clown left me out cold. It just didn't give the sort of feel unlike her Bond Medley SP in 2010 in Vancouver and her PCS in Vancouver was not even as elevated. In contrast in the LP, I did prefer Yuna's PE/IN than Bolero, so I am ok with the better PCS of Yuna.

What was so weird in Sochi was how Adelina could suddenly get PCS in the Yuna range and even outscore Caro in PCS in the LP. I guess being at home with all the excitement and support from the audience, judges unconsciously boosted her components seeing how wild the crowds were over her?

JayW

Final Flight
In my opinion, Mao was also greatly affected by all the weirdness in Sochi. She deserved far higher scores than she got in the LP. But considering that she skated well before Julia Lipinskaia and Adelina Sotnikova, and there was probably a motivation to have those two skaters be in medal contention, Mao was scored conservatively in case Julia or Adelina do not have good LP skates. The three big threats for those medals were Yuna, Mao, and Carolina (along with the two Russians) after all.

Yes, totally agree. I was so angry with Mao's LP score! She deserved at least 5 points higher, my heart is still bleeding for Mao to this day.

JayW

Final Flight
What was so weird in Sochi was how Adelina could suddenly get PCS in the Yuna range and even outscore Caro in PCS in the LP. I guess being at home with all the excitement and support from the audience, judges unconsciously boosted her components seeing how wild the crowds were over her?

Please leave Adelina out from this conversation, we had that discussion enough. Let's talk about Yuna.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.