Yuna's 2013 Worlds LP Score | Golden Skate

Yuna's 2013 Worlds LP Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

blargmonster

Rinkside
I don't know much about figure skating/pretty new to its mechanics and was wondering how her Worlds score with 1 less element/GOE changes(from what I understand decreased from 2010 to now?)/jump layout changes(1 less double axel and no 2a-3T) scored near her Vancouver performance. I was reading through posts and have been noticing/interpreting that when people compare her Vancouver scores with today's performances they see her extra spiral sequence element as a boost and I was thus wondering how she basically scored the same with her Worlds performance. And further, where you would put her Sochi LP in comparison to her Worlds and Vancouver performances.

Last edited:

ahy

Final Flight
I thought her 2013 world's fre skating was even better than 2010 olympic's. I think the score is right. Jmo

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Most of the difference between 2010 and 2013 is made up from the higher PCS awarded to her in 2013. In Vancouver she got 71.76 in the long program, and in 2013 she earned a 73.61. Technically she was 4 points better in Vancouver but, as you said, that was mostly due to the extra element.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
The difference is from PCS, as you said her TES was lower in 2013 due to less element/level/jump. Her PCS was 2 points higher but total score was 2 points lower so it nothing but fair.

Personal I think before question any Yuna's score, we should take a look at some other OGM as well as "second highest total score ever", but remember we already discussed about it around 300 pages so never mind, lol

starlight97

Final Flight
I agree with the explanations above.

As for to put where, I would definitely have 2010 first.
2013 was... well perfect, but for 2010 simply had that extra spark and the technical merit has to count for sth.
Regarding her Adiós Nonio-
I would have LOVED to see that skated like this but in a different invironment.
Musicality and sophistication-wise it was her best and most difficult program ever imo but it kinda got lost in the Sochi thing. If only we could have seen it at the GP or Worlds2014, I always think her expression would have excelled in different surroundings as well

clippers8200

On the Ice
Using the handy, dandy scoring spreadsheet I made, I would have scored her as follows:

http://bit.ly/14UfUmw

I'm biased as a Yuna fan, but her elements were really strong (the opening 3Lz/3T and 3F were the best she's ever done IMO). I came up with 147.68, which is not far off from what her score was.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Using the handy, dandy scoring spreadsheet I made, I would have scored her as follows:

I'm biased as a Yuna fan, but her elements were really strong (the opening 3Lz/3T and 3F were the best she's ever done IMO). I came up with 147.68, which is not far off from what her score was.

There must be a wrong detail in your calculation: after the half of the program a skater do only receive extra points for jumps . The base values for spins and spiral sequences are not increased.

BTw, is there an app for my mobil to calculate points correctly??

jkun

Final Flight
It was just a result of an excellent performance. Her PCS was through the roof and her jumps were definitely on that day. Probably the best jumps she's ever done. I think it was better than her performance at Vancouver although it would have been nice to have her able to do a 2A-3T. But rules are rules I guess. I think it's the best ladies FS program I've ever seen.

I constantly regret deciding not to go to the 2013 worlds. It was only a couple of hours away :drama:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

Oooh, let me score it too so we can have another judge on the panel. Lol I'll post my protocol as well.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I watch this performance frequently. I literally choose different feeds so I can hear commentators fall over themselves in other languages: in addition to CBC, NBC Universal and Ice Network, there are also BBC and UK Eurosport all in English. Then there are the feeds in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Korean, Finnish even Russian and Japanese amongst others. Pretty much every commentator was sitting in quiet, rapt attention and not breathing from the sheer beauty of it. The best comment came from the French, who simply sighed and repeatedly breathlessly, "c'est parfait!"

I'm not an expert on the scoring system but under the old system it would have been 6.0 across the board on both technical and artistry. She was last to go and would have received every single perfect score. I love how when she did her final 2A the audience roared and didn't stop screaming and cheering for the last 30 seconds of her program, and some were already on her feet BEFORE she even finished!! THAT says far more beyond any number posted. Honestly, if she didn't step off the ice, that deliriously rapt crowd would have applauded her all night until the sun came up the next day.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not an expert on the scoring system but under the old system it would have been 6.0 across the board on both technical and artistry. She was last to go and would have received every single perfect score. I love how when she did her final 2A the audience roared and didn't stop screaming and cheering for the last 30 seconds of her program, and some were already on her feet BEFORE she even finished!! THAT says far more beyond any number posted. Honestly, if she didn't step off the ice, that deliriously rapt crowd would have applauded her all night until the sun came up the next day.

6.0 across the board for both tech and presentation? I don't think so! Even assuming her presentation was on a par with Kostner and Asada (I would have to watch it again), I doubt she would have gotten higher than 5.9 on the second mark. 6.0s were not easy to come by at Worlds. And on the first mark--6.0 with only six triples and no 3-loop? Not under the old system. Midori Ito got a few 6.0s (not across the board) for tech for a program with a 3-3 and a 3A. That and 7 triples was what someone probably needed to get a 6.0 in tech under the old system. And no skater ever got 6.0s across the board in tech.

CarneAsada

Medalist
At 2004 Worlds, Arakawa got ONE 6.0 in tech. For a 7-triple program that included a 3Lz-3T-2Lo and a 3S-3T. Yeah no, 2013 Worlds or even 2010 Vancouver Yuna wouldn't get close to straight 6.0s in tech unless she were skating in Korea. That said it was still an incredible skate so I could see 6.0s happening in presentation, especially since she was the last to go.

clippers8200

On the Ice
There must be a wrong detail in your calculation: after the half of the program a skater do only receive extra points for jumps . The base values for spins and spiral sequences are not increased.

BTw, is there an app for my mobil to calculate points correctly??

Ah, of course. I got too x happy after the step sequence! This lowers my scoring of her to 146.92, which isn't a huge difference. Happy to find a way to share my spreadsheet so we can form a Goldenskate judging panel :laugh:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
At 2004 Worlds, Arakawa got ONE 6.0 in tech. For a 7-triple program that included a 3Lz-3T-2Lo and a 3S-3T. Yeah no, 2013 Worlds or even 2010 Vancouver Yuna wouldn't get close to straight 6.0s in tech unless she were skating in Korea. That said it was still an incredible skate so I could see 6.0s happening in presentation, especially since she was the last to go.

Arakawas's FS at 2004 Worlds is one for the ages,
But imp Kim is a superior all around skater,
Besides, do we know if Arakawa's jumps would've met
The requirements of edge and rotation of 2013?
I mean, if we're gonna be comparing...

I still think if Cohen had gone clean in 2004 FS the judges would've given it to her on overall quality,
Would've been pretty close though ;)

blargmonster

Rinkside
Most of the difference between 2010 and 2013 is made up from the higher PCS awarded to her in 2013. In Vancouver she got 71.76 in the long program, and in 2013 she earned a 73.61. Technically she was 4 points better in Vancouver but, as you said, that was mostly due to the extra element.

Oh I see I wasn't aware of PC changes...I don't really understand how PCs work though, I can understand Kostner, Asada and Yuna scoring high but I don't understand how Adelina managed a 74.41 at Sochi which is higher than Yuna's Worlds & Vancouver performance and anything Kostner and Asada has done (from what I know).

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Yeah...alot of people don't understand either.

I agree with the explanations above.

As for to put where, I would definitely have 2010 first.
2013 was... well perfect, but for 2010 simply had that extra spark and the technical merit has to count for sth.
Regarding her Adiós Nonio-
I would have LOVED to see that skated like this but in a different invironment.
Musicality and sophistication-wise it was her best and most difficult program ever imo but it kinda got lost in the Sochi thing. If only we could have seen it at the GP or Worlds2014, I always think her expression would have excelled in different surroundings as well

I do think Adios Nonino was a rather "intellectual" program. I wish she had a better performance of it. While the Sochi performance was clean, it seemed like she was moving through the steps (beautifully though) and thinking through them all, rather than inhibiting the moves.

iceberg

On the Ice
I knew this thread was coming. :laugh:

But to answer the question I would put her 2013 Worlds on top of all her LP. It's my most favorite program of hers.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
PCS have become inflated over the years--for everybody. There's no way to compare 2013 PCS to 2010 PCS (and 2010 PCS to 2006 PCS). The overall scores in the women's field haven't risen the way the men have because certain other rules lowered the scores (most notably the GOE factoring).

Arakawas's FS at 2004 Worlds is one for the ages,
But imp Kim is a superior all around skater,
Besides, do we know if Arakawa's jumps would've met
The requirements of edge and rotation of 2013?
I mean, if we're gonna be comparing...

I still think if Cohen had gone clean in 2004 FS the judges would've given it to her on overall quality,
Would've been pretty close though ;)
Both of Shizuka's 3-3s looked UR to me. That being said, it didn't matter much under 6.0. 7 triples with two 3-3s (one 3-3-2), even UR'ed, would beat a 6-triple FS with one 3-3 and no loop (on the first mark--Yuna would beat Shizuka on the second mark). I think the judges would've given the title to Sasha had she skated clean, on the basis of the second mark... heck, I think the judges would've given the LP to Michelle if she hadn't doubled that last lutz.

Judges hardly ever handed out 6.0s on the first mark, and never across the board. Yuna would've gotten many 6.0s... but for presentation, not technical merit. For an example of a COP program could get 6.0 in tech, I'd look at Mao's Sochi LP: 8 triples, one of every kind including the axel, plus 3F-3Lo and 2A-3T.

port79

Spectator
^Yeah...alot of people don't understand either.

I do think Adios Nonino was a rather "intellectual" program. I wish she had a better performance of it. While the Sochi performance was clean, it seemed like she was moving through the steps (beautifully though) and thinking through them all, rather than inhibiting the moves.

To me, it was abundantly clear from the oddly long warm-up, which was filled with vuvuzela noise etc., that it was going to be almost humanly impossible for her to "inhibit the moves." I guess she, just like any other skaters in that situation, couldn't help but feed off of enormous amount of hostile vibe from the crowd. The overwhelming pressure as the final skater of the event didn't help her either, but that vibe was the stark contrast with the 2013 Worlds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.