Brian Orser: I wouldn't have become a coach if I had won the Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Orser: I wouldn't have become a coach if I had won the Olympics

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Mostly playful of you all I'm sure, but I can tell this is already another case of hyping a young Canadian man to win that elusive Olympic gold.
Nah, I've long given up on that. I said before, USA will win pairs before Canada wins men. The more realistic version will go like this:

2018: Patrick crashes out of the free skate and winds up with no medal (since he already got the requisite two silvers) and Nam Zayaks down to second place.

2022: Nam skates well, but a la Orser/Boitano, a new kid with even more technical content comes along and surpasses him.

2026: Stephen Gogolev switches allegiances to Russia as he grows aware of the Canadian curse. He indeed goes on to win the Olympics, and to add insult to injury, he does so while sporting Yagudin's "giant mask" shirt, Urmanov's ruffled sleeves, Plushenko's mullet, and giraffe print trousers inspired by Kulik.

peg

Medalist
And to add insult to injury, he does so while sporting Yagudin's "giant mask" shirt, Urmanov's ruffled sleeves, Plushenko's mullet, and giraffe print trousers inspired by Kulik.
OMG!!! You're killing me! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Meoima

Match Penalty
2026: Stephen Gogolev switches allegiances to Russia as he grows aware of the Canadian curse. He indeed goes on to win the Olympics, and to add insult to injury, he does so while sporting Yagudin's "giant mask" shirt, Urmanov's ruffled sleeves, Plushenko's mullet, and giraffe print trousers inspired by Kulik.
I surely will stick around till that time for this! :drama:

BlackPack

Medalist
Oh, it will be SWEET if a Canadian man of Russian descent dresses like Olympic Kulik, Urmanov, and Lambiel whilst skating to Carmen and Swan Lake and finally wins the gold for Canada!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Oh, it will be SWEET if a Canadian man of Russian descent dresses like Olympic Kulik, Urmanov, and Lambiel whilst skating to Carmen and Swan Lake and finally wins the gold for Canada!

No not Swan Lake, more like POTO! Then he will have committed all of figure skating's ultimate no no's

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah poor choice of words "silver lining" lol. Poor Brian the Susan Lucci of figure skating. Then outed; I am so glad he is having success as a coach. It was kind of sad to see him with no OGM considering his talent.

I think it's sadder if he considers himself a failure (the interviewer's word, not Brian's).

Alba

Record Breaker
I think it's sadder if he considers himself a failure (the interviewer's word, not Brian's).

The interviewer didn't call him a failure. It was a reference to losing the gold in the Olympics. They are more direct when they speak, and lets not forget that this is an interview given in english, written in russian, then translated in english again. :biggrin:

anyanka

Record Breaker

A couple of things:
- you're assuming that the winter Olympics actually take place because there is some interest in still hosting it!
- if this costume is real I WANT IT

BlackPack

Medalist
No not Swan Lake, more like POTO! Then he will have committed all of figure skating's ultimate no no's

6 music edits into one program: POTO, Swan Lake, Les Mis, Carmen, Malaguena, Bolero - now that's a program no one has done!:biggrin:

anyanka

Record Breaker

The final 30 seconds of that program will be to the conclusion of Stravinsky's Firebird, of course. The ultimate cliched mish-mash of skating. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go shopping for sequined fishnet gloves.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A couple of things:
- you're assuming that the winter Olympics actually take place because there is some interest in still hosting it!
- if this costume is real I WANT IT
If this costume becomes real in 2026, I'm suing, 'cause y'all heard it here first!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
WOW.... a 10-year old landing a 3A. That's crazy impressive. And with Brian's tutelage, he'll develop his overall skating quite nicely, too, not just the jumps.

blue_ice

On the Ice
Well, he's the 2015 Pre-Novice Canadian Champion and according to Orser he has a Canadian passport... as far as I know, you can't get a Canadian passport without Canadian citizenship. :think: So if Orser is correct about the passport, perhaps one of his parents is a Canadian citizen?

Both his parents are Russian, his father works in Russia. They can have two passports, Russian and Canadian. Both countries allow it.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
6 music edits into one program: POTO, Swan Lake, Les Mis, Carmen, Malaguena, Bolero - now that's a program no one has done!:biggrin:

Only if the Les Mis edit is I Dreamed a Dream!

The final 30 seconds of that program will be to the conclusion of Stravinsky's Firebird, of course. The ultimate cliched mish-mash of skating. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go shopping for sequined fishnet gloves.

Ah yes how could I forget? The perfect music for some flappy arms:clap: