Retirements Going Into 2015-16 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Retirements Going Into 2015-16 Season

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Bwahaha - NO, do not want to see him au natural. Eeeyewww! :shocked: Just ditch the foo foo fluffy ribboned ethereal glitzy beaded sequined material costumes. All black would be perfect and would not be distracting.

Oh, please do not talk about skaters going au naturale! :rolleye:

I know of 3 female skaters that went down that road after they retired (2 German Singles skaters , and a Canadian Pairs skater). And I really wish they hadn't. Because when you are watching old videos of them skating, it is inevitible that it pops into your head. And it does spoil your enjoyment of them skating.

So, in other words, instead of emulating the costumes of one of his idols - Johnny - he should just go for the other idol, and go All Black like Plushy instead?;) So long as he doesn't do the Ultra-C-through as well... We lament those enough on the Plushy fan thread as it is - we don't want another skater joining him! ;)

ETA - Or, wait - do you mean literally all black - like a cat burglar? With no other colour/relief at all? That I could not be in favour of - that would be too.. boring...

I actually like Plushy's black costumes. In fact, the past few days I have been writing a post for the favourite costumes thread, and I have got stuck trying to decide which is my favourite of Plushy's black costumes!

Uploaded just for you, CaroLiza_fan - Anna at TEB last November

Awww, thank you! (And well done for being such a good photographer - I would never have been able to take photos that clear!)

Although I was delighted that Anna got the late call up for the TEB, I was gutted that it was not announced until the last minute. Because, I would definitely have tried to get there!

And now, with the announcement of her retirement, I am even more heartbroken that I didn't get to see her live.

She is way too young to retire... :-/

Can't argue with that! 19 is far too young to retire. But, I suppose it is a good time if you are in higher education, which Anna is.

Hey, did you see the video I made last month for Anna's birthday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEUAg-KgHtM

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
You know how I started this thread to tell you that Eveline Brunner had decided to retire. Well, she is not the only Swiss representative to make this decision

:cry: Anna Ovcharova is also retiring!!!! :cry:

Well, that's a bummer.

Never would have called that, especially with Eveline Brunner retiring. Just bizarre to see the top Swiss skaters all retiring at the same time, while still teenagers.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, that's a bummer.

Never would have called that, especially with Eveline Brunner retiring. Just bizarre to see the top Swiss skaters all retiring at the same time, while still teenagers.

Isn't it just. There may be a vacuum for a while, but I am sure it will get filled in time.

Anyway, I have just been going through the Russian questions that Anna answered yesterday. It was obvious that most of them were old questions that she hadn't answered at the time they were sent. The type of silly questions that people normally ask on ask.fm.

However, one person did ask her why, and she actually went into a very detailed answer.

почему ты больше не катаешься?
Много причин на это.
Я решила сделать паузу от большого спорта. Мое решение связанно с несколькими факторами.
Во первых, жизнь спортсмена не проста- это режим, стресс и постоянные ограничения. Я живу так с 8 лет. И я устала от постоянной боли в теле, усталости и ограничений во многих аспектах своей жизни.
Я так же очень скучаю по своей семье, которая не живет со мной с августа месяца (они вернулись в Россию).
Еще один фактор заключается в том, что мне трудно представлять Швейцарию в сложившейся мировой политической ситуации. Трудно вообще находиться вне родины, и выкладываться социально вне России.

http://ask.fm/littlespartan/answer/128277453964

Which, according to Google Translate, comes out as something like this:

why you do not skate?
Many reasons for this.
I decided to take a break from the big sport. My decision is due to several factors.
First, the athlete's life is not prostatitis treatment, stress and permanent restrictions. I live since 8 years. And I'm tired of the constant body aches, fatigue, and restrictions in many aspects of their lives.
I also miss my family who does not live with me since August (they returned to Russia).
Another factor is that it is difficult to represent Switzerland in the current world political situation. It's hard to even be outside the homeland, and laid out socially outside of Russia.​

Hearing this, I can totally understand her decision.

It is hard enough to cope with all the things that go along with being an elite athlete at such a young age. But to find yourself in the position where your normal support network (your family) is now in a different country. And people in the country you are in are now hostile towards you.

I don't blame Anna one bit to want to call it a day and go home to Russia!

Anna, you don't deserve to go through this. You deserve to be happy in your life. So, I am even more supportive of your decision now that I have heard your reasoning.

I wish that you will have a very happy future

CaroLiza_fan xxx

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm sad to hear Anna Ovcharova is retiring too... But hearing her explanation, I can see why. Best of luck to her in her future endeavours.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
And now, with the announcement of her retirement, I am even more heartbroken that I didn't get to see her live.
I know what you mean. There are several skaters now retired, that I regret not seeing, when I had a chance.

So for the 2013-2014 Olympic season... I made the trip to Skate America 2013 specifically to see Mao Asada and Daisuke Takahashi before they retired, to avoid that disappointment. I'd also planned to see Yuna Kim at TEB 2013, but she withdrew in the end :-/

I've managed to see quite a few of my other favourite skaters by now, so I won't have too many regrets when they retire. (Some of them have indeed aleady retired, like Machida and Suzuki... and there are many others that may not compete for much longer). Lots more I'd still like to see... but there's a limit to how far and how often I can travel to competitions... :-/

Hey, did you see the video I made last month for Anna's birthday?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEUAg-KgHtM
I have now :-D Very good, well done!

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Another retirement has been confirmed. This time, it's Justus Strid.

http://www.justusstrid.com/blog/turn-the-page-no-regrets

Grazie mille to Wolfie at IceSkating&Ritmica for pointing us to the statement yesterday (it was actually released 2 weeks ago, a week after gallavich enquired about his future).

Here is a sample of what Justus said:

This was my last season as a professional figure skater i have done all i could hope for and dreamed off. I am finished! It feels good to end the career on my own terms not because of injury or anyone else but simple because i am satisfied. And i really feel that i am satisfied with my skating i got to do 5 Europeans and 4 worlds and i got to skate in the globe in Sweden i meet a lot of amazing people and my childhood idols. I practiced and competed with the best, i meet many wonderful fans who supported and cheered for me during the years. I can say i did my best and have no regrets and many happy memories =)

He goes on to explain that he is going to continue his studies to become a coach, and is enjoying teaching kids to skate.

All the best for the future Justus!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
So, in other words, instead of emulating the costumes of one of his idols - Johnny - he should just go for the other idol, and go All Black like Plushy instead?;) So long as he doesn't do the Ultra-C-through as well... We lament those enough on the Plushy fan thread as it is - we don't want another skater joining him! ;)

ETA - Or, wait - do you mean literally all black - like a cat burglar? With no other colour/relief at all? That I could not be in favour of - that would be too.. boring...

Johnny could pull off wearing costumes like that. Plushy could pull off wearing costumes like that. Yuzu needs to be more conservative in his costume and let his skating do the talking! (weird analogy but you get the idea)

I don't know half of the people mentioned in this thread that are retiring and here I thought I was an avid skating fan! Can you spell obscure?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know half of the people mentioned in this thread that are retiring and here I thought I was an avid skating fan! Can you spell obscure?

I hope you are not including my Anna in that statement! :shocked:

Nah, it's probably just the effects of the Atlantic Ocean. European skaters being obscure to Americans, and American skaters being obscure to Europeans.

So, can I add a partnership that is obscure to me, but maybe not to others.

The father of American Ice Dance twins Danielle and Alex Gamelin (ISU Bio) has announced their retirement on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152924331884091&set=a.10150108999544091.287209.623774090

And he has made it perfectly clear that this decision is purely down to lack of funding.

It's a shame, given how they have been improving. But unfortunately that's the world we live in.

But, to give a glimmer of hope, Lee Gamelin did say that this retirement may only be a temporary measure.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Shame about Samantha, but...
I will finally say it: loads of people looved her Carmen... but she has had 4 years!!! of Carmens in her career. 2 LP and 2 SP. Why?

caitie

Medalist
Was she really that good in "feeling and performing" to the music? I really don´t recall any of her programs.

I think she was. Her Carmen LP the last two years was really genuinely fantastic and totally memorable to me. If she had more speed and power in her skating, I think she would have received much better PCS.

Poice

Final Flight
I really liked her Carmen's program. Too bad that she had problems with URs. I whis her luck in her future activities!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Was she really that good in "feeling and performing" to the music? I really don´t recall any of her programs.

Maybe I´m in a very bad mood today, but all the skaters compete in the same system, so to heard someone complain about it sounds a little like sour grapes to me.

Anyway, best wishes to her in her future plans.

The exact quote regarding her scores was: "Unfortunately, at times, the new system didn't lend itself to my strong suits and that is something that wasn't always easy to deal with."

The subhead ("Skater cites recurring injures, restrictive judging system in decision") sounded more sour grapes then what was actually said, IMO. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that what judges prefer didn't mesh with one's strengths. Had she competed in 6.0, her clean skates and performance ability probably would have fared better.

Her performance ability couldn't overcome the struggles of injuries that kept her from getting level 4 spins or improving in areas that receive greater reward, i.e. speed, ice coverage.