Russian figure skater Nicole Gosviani to represent Italy? | Golden Skate

Russian figure skater Nicole Gosviani to represent Italy?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
What's the age to marry in Italy? He is only 17, and in some places, you need to turn 18 to get married.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Italian site talking about Gosviani could compete for Italy

Yep, just saw them talking about it in her thread on the IceSkating&Ritmica Forum (conversation starts here)

Here is the story that prompted the conversation:

http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...discrezioni-di-fine-primavera-e-inizio-estate

But, the important thing to note is that this page on Neve Italia is entitled "Notizie e indiscrezioni di fine primavera e inizio estate", i.e. "News and RUMOURS of Late Spring and Early Summer".

And the bit about Nikol is talking about "una concreta possibilità", or "a real possibility", of her skating for Italy.

So, make of that what you may.

I'm waiting for something more concrete than just "a possibility" before being sure it's happening. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Most probably yes.

In Italy is 18 but why are you talking about marriage? Did they say they're getting married?

The poster above said they were engaged. Unless engagement means something totally different in Italy, or they plan on getting married many years down the road.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The poster above said they were engaged. Unless engagement means something totally different in Italy, or they plan on getting married many years down the road.

Put it like this. The relationship status on both their Facebook profiles say that they are engaged to each other.

And given all the photos of her on his Instagram page (I'm not posting a link to it, due to the address he has chosen, but AlexRus has posted it in this comment), I have no reason to doubt that it is true.

So, if they do get married, it will probably be sometime down the road.

As part of a comment on the Italian forum, I wrote the following:

CaroLiza_fan said:
It is very irresponsible that Neve Italia has mixed in rumours with genuine news stories on the same page. They should have 2 separate pages!

CaroLiza_fan

http://skating-ritmica.forumfree.it/?t=50349448&st=15#entry577841796

To which I got the following reply from one of the Moderators:

Wolfie said:
Our forum takes distances from this so called "journalist", he is the one that spread the rumor of Berton/Hotarek split up last year theorizing Cappellini/Lanotte's retirement because Anna was engaged to Ondrej -.-". Than he deleted the article, so probably this thing about Nikol will disappear soon from his site.

I hoped he had different sources than facebook.

I am extremely sorry for this as Italian, I swear you not all information sites about figure skating are like that.

http://skating-ritmica.forumfree.it/?t=50349448&st=15#entry577844667

So, although there might be something in it, it is looking like we have a journalist who likes putting two and two together, and doesn't worry if the answer is correct or not.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I always thought she was a lovely skater but never really a contender other her breakthrough at Euros. Hopefully in Italy with less pressure she'll have a more successful career (if that in fact is what she's doing, competing for Italy).

noidont

Final Flight
Nikol and her fiance should be a dance/pairs team. Although I doubt either of them is training at all.

I'm a fan of her skating. I still think her short program the season she went to Europeans is a rare artistic masterpiece.

Alba

Record Breaker

It's not something fixed nowadays. It can have different meanings. In Italy the boyfriend is called fiancé or they say we're engaged (impegnati) but they might have no plans to marry. Not in a near future anyway. I'm "engaged" and live with my partner for 7 years now, for example. It means you take your relationship very seriously, not necessarily that you're making plans to marry. I don't know about these two though, maybe they're, that's why I asked.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
As part of a comment on the Italian forum, I wrote the following:

Originally Posted by Wolfie
Our forum takes distances from this so called "journalist", he is the one that spread the rumor of Berton/Hotarek split up last year theorizing Cappellini/Lanotte's retirement because Anna was engaged to Ondrej -.-". Than he deleted the article, so probably this thing about Nikol will disappear soon from his site.

I hoped he had different sources than facebook.

I am extremely sorry for this as Italian, I swear you not all information sites about figure skating are like that.

http://skating-ritmica.forumfree.it/?t=50349448&st=15#entry577841796

To which I got the following reply from one of the Moderators:

http://skating-ritmica.forumfree.it/?t=50349448&st=15#entry577844667

So, although there might be something in it, it is looking like we have a journalist who likes putting two and two together, and doesn't worry if the answer is correct or not.

CaroLiza_fan

That's nonsense (I'm referring to the comment from skating-ritmica). That journalist is Massimiliano Ambesi, Eurosport Ita commentator, and he is one of the best journalist - if not the best - for winter sports in general and Figure Skating in particular. A) He did not "spread any "rumor" about Berton&Ondrej. The story was true, right? He is in very friendly relationship with Berton's family and they were the source. He deleted the article as a favor towards them because they asked not to publish it before the news was made official. I guess they wanted Ondrej's team to make it official.
Anna&Luca retirement was considered indeed therefore theorizing was correct. So no, we don't have "a journalist who likes to put two and two together, and doesn't worry if the answer is correct or not." He's very well informed. As for the news on Gosviani, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for the article, there is nothing wrong to put one article about "News and Rumours" as the title clearly says. The title and the informations in it are not misleading. There is nothing irresponsible about it.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That's nonsense (I'm referring to the comment from skating-ritmica). That journalist is Massimiliano Ambesi, Eurosport Ita commentator, and he is one of the best journalist - if not the best - for winter sports in general and Figure Skating in particular. A) He did not "spread any "rumor" about Berton&Ondrej. The story was true, right? He is in very friendly relationship with Berton's family and they were the source. He deleted the article as a favor towards them because they asked not to publish it before the news was made official. I guess they wanted Ondrej's team to make it official.
Anna&Luca retirement was considered indeed therefore theorizing was correct. So no, we don't have "a journalist who likes to put two and two together, and doesn't worry if the answer is correct or not." He's very well informed. As for the news on Gosviani, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thank you for the extra info, Alba. As I am not in Italy and don't speak Italian, I just have to go with what I am told by people that are there / do speak it.

So, it looks like it's the same as with anybody. Some people like him, and some don't!

I will bear that in mind when I read future posts.

As for the article, there is nothing wrong to put one article about "News and Rumours" as the title clearly says. The title and the informations in it are not misleading. There is nothing irresponsible about it.

I have to disagree. Yes, the title of the page makes it clear that the article contains both. But, it doesn't make it clear which of these categories each story falls into. It would be better if the news and the rumours were separated out, or there was some sort of code (e.g. colour coding; an "N" for news and "I" for rumours in brackets at the start of each story; etc.) to distinguish them.

Thank you for posting in this thread, Alba. Having the opinions of people who are actually in Italy is really giving us an extra insight into what the situation may be (or may not be!)

CaroLiza_fan

Wolfie

Spectator
Hi everyone, I'm Wolfie from IceSkating&Ritmica forum, I thank CaroLiza_fan for quoting me but I would like to explain the situation by myself:

The news about Nikol Gosviani competing for Italy is said to be a rumor by the author himself, it could be true or not, all we know is that there is nothing official about that. The source remain unknown.

The things posted by Sforza brothers (they compete for Italy together as Ice Dance team) on Facebook and Instagram are quite distracting: first of all "fidanzamento" in italian could be translated with "engagement" but it has a different meaning, we said two people are "fidanzati" when they start a stable relationship, not when they plan to get married. Of course there is the photo of Nikol with a ring in her left hand, but from what I know doesen't necessarily mean they are planning their wedding, I saw many girls wear a ring without having plans for marriage on their minds. I personally don't think they are going to get married soon, but it is my opinion.

And even if they are really going to marry that doesen't mean Gosviani will compete for Italy.

The first time I've read the article I thought Nikol has somehow italian origins like Righini but the Gosviani did not really sound an italian surname even if it ends with an “I”. It's Georgian like someone said, but it doesn't mean anything.

For what concern the thing I've written about B/H and C/L it comes from last year, that site made the scoop and then the link to the original article disappeared, here is a quote from that article before it was deleted, I can't put the link because this is my firts message here but it is on page 13 of Berton/Hotarek's thread on skating-ritmica forum.
It announced a rumor of a possible B/H split up, and this actually happened, but then it speculates on a Hotarek's retirement because the engagement with Anna Cappellini! I'm sorry, I remembered something concerning a speculation about a possible C/L's retirement as well but I can't check because the original article doesen't exhist any more, maybe I'm wrong. So there was somthing true about this news but not everithing.

Personally I do not consider Neveitalia as the best Italian information site about figure skating, and this reporter as commentor is maybe the less worst (talking about Italian broadcasting) but not the best. I used to like him once, but there where some things that changed my mind. Just my opinion.

Conclusion: it may be something true in it but by now it's just a rumor. I will consider a proper news when will be official statements by Gosviani herself or by the federetions, like in B/H's case.

Last edited: