Anyone changing their username? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anyone changing their username?

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mine is from a very old nickname of my dad's for me. It's Princess Red in Spanish, and I'm a redhead, so there you go. Wound up being my very first email address when I was a preteen, but I didn't like it for a long time, so it fell into disuse. It's a nice username though. I'm mildly debating whether to change it to something else, but it works well for here, so... :shrug:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I almost always use my real name on the internet. It gives me that pause before posting to rethink any immoderate thing I might have typed.

It is also true that anyone who really wants to can always find out who you really are on the internet and the assumption of anonymity is a delusion.

Plus I can remember it!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
...elbkup has been with me a long time. My IT superviser actually gave it to me many moons ago to remind me to back up reports I edited...(remember to "back it up" dwoorlink!). ..."el" are the first two letters in my first name. It stuck, I like it, not gonna change it.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I almost always use my real name on the internet. It gives me that pause before posting to rethink any immoderate thing I might have typed.

It is also true that anyone who really wants to can always find out who you really are on the internet and the assumption of anonymity is a delusion.

That is not a bad idea. And it is a good thing for us to keep in mind. Like, I am always VERY careful about what I post to Facebook in case it comes back on me. To the extent that I post hardly anything to Facebook - I only really use it for posting fan art that I want to show on here!

Plus I can remember it!

And that is the most important thing about a username! ;) :biggrin:

...elbkup has been with me a long time. My IT superviser actually gave it to me many moons ago to remind me to back up reports I edited...(remember to "back it up" dwoorlink!). ..."el" are the first two letters in my first name. It stuck, I like it, not gonna change it.

You know, your username is one that has always intrigued me. And I think it was because I was because I was splitting it between the "b" and the "k". And I could never work out what an "elb-kup" was. :laugh:

But, now that you have told us where the spaces are actually supposed to be, it totally makes sense. "E. L. Backup"

A nice reference to a story.

By the way, I have an e-mail address using a nickname which my P6 teacher gave me. He was the best teacher I had at primary school, but he died relatively young about 10 years ago. So, it has kinda become a tribute to him.

Mine is from a very old nickname of my dad's for me. It's Princess Red in Spanish, and I'm a redhead, so there you go. Wound up being my very first email address when I was a preteen, but I didn't like it for a long time, so it fell into disuse. It's a nice username though. I'm mildly debating whether to change it to something else, but it works well for here, so... :shrug:

You know, because of your username, I always assumed you were Spanish, or at least from somewhere that spoke Spanish. But, when I looked up "Roja" a few weeks ago to check, all the results were Indian!

You know, when you mentioned that you were a redhead, all these pictures of stereotypical Irish girls started popping into my head (including some people I know!)

Then I thought of Peppermint Patty. And of the story where she was a figure skater being coached by Snoopy. It took me a while to find it, but here are the strips:

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/91d250c0fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

3[SUP]rd[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/923df700fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/92b003d0fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

5[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/9320e810fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

6[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/938f3cc0fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

7[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/93fb9240fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

9[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/95785990fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

10[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/95ed7d10fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

11[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/9661ba10fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

12[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/96d1b9d0fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

13[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1978
http://assets.amuniversal.com/973c1e10fb8801301747001dd8b71c47

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I haven't decided yet. I don't know what I'd change it to...

Personally, I quite like your username. It is simple, yet clever at the same time. So, if it were me, I would leave it as it is.

But, if you did feel the need to change, there is always your FSU username. The bonus is that it is sufficiently similar to your current GS username that everybody would know it was you.

Although, the downside is that it would mean more button pressing when you are signing in! :laugh:

I'm thinking about it :eek:: Something more Sotnikova related.

Oh no! It is always nice seeing usernames that make reference to "old school" skaters. (It really pains me to use that phrase to describe somebody that is 11 months younger than me! But, that's what he is!)

Plus, bearing in mind that you have been a member since 2005, a lot of people will look at your username and assume that you have been a fan of Adelina's since then.

And you have to ask yourself: do you want to give people the impression that you have been following a girl since she was 9? It looks really dodgy, doesn't it?!

So, maybe better to stick with Sergei, or at least somebody that was not pre-teen in 2005!

CaroLiza_fan

Layback11

Record Breaker
When I joined, I had no intention of posting at the time, so I didn't care too much about my username. I picked Layback11 because I like layback spins, it's skating-related, and I like to put a repeating 2-digit number at the end of things for some reason.

If I changed it, it would probably be a skating pun (RavensburgerKing) or related to my non-skating interests (Shark Whisperer). Or something of the sort.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I chose as my username the main character of "Life a User's Manual" by French novelist Georges Perec. Bartlebooth is an eccentric English billionaire who devotes his life to solving jigsaw puzzles: I'm not English nor a billionaire, but I happen to like jigsaw puzzles. I chose this username because:
- I think that in figure skating a program should be more than a simple sum of elements, just like a jigsaw puzzle;
- I tend to root for French skaters.

I like my username and I won't change it, but still I'd like to thank the administrators for this opportunity!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Crazy to change my username, bellflower was something too simple. Plus, nobody knows me here.

Just saw your post in the new name request thread, and that new name you have come up with is absolute genius! :clap: :points:

I remembered that you were from Brazil. So, when I put your requested name into Google, everything made sense!

Although, when doing the search, I did notice that you can actually spell it with one "s".

So, if you want it to look even more like Mao Asada's name, you'd better get in quick before the change is made!

CaroLiza_fan

MalAssada

Medalist
Just saw your post in the new name request thread, and that new name you have come up with is absolute genius! :clap: :points:

I remembered that you were from Brazil. So, when I put your requested name into Google, everything made sense!

Although, when doing the search, I did notice that you can actually spell it with one "s".

So, if you want it to look even more like Mao Asada's name, you'd better get in quick before the change is made!

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks! I was afraid it would sound rude, because well, it may for some, but the first time I heard Mao's name, it was all I could think about. We use Assada in Brazil, at least in the Southeast, so that's ok. Thanks for searching, though!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks! I was afraid it would sound rude, because well, it may for some, but the first time I heard Mao's name, it was all I could think about. We use Assada in Brazil, at least in the Southeast, so that's ok. Thanks for searching, though!

I have to be honest, the fact that it looked rude is the reason why I did the search. Because I thought "bellflower seems like too nice a person to choose something rude. So, it must actually mean something..."

But, that is a great story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! :clap:

So now we have learnt something. That a certain Japanese skater makes people that speak Portuguese think of food.

It is finding out wee gems of information like this that make being on an international forum so enjoyable!

Thank you again for the story, and I hope you continue to enjoy the forum for many years to come as MalAssada.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I thought about changing my nick, but I actually only a few months ago clued in to the fact that my nickname has a double meaning.

Did anyone here think Winnie referred to Winnie the Pooh?

Because it doesn't. In fact, I dislike Winnie the Pooh. Always have, always will. Just because I like Yuzuru Hanyu doesn't make me like the bear. I just never even gave it a thought when I chose the nickname. Winnie, in fact, is the name of a palomino Welsh pony I used to admire from afar at the riding school. (I never even rode her.) I wanted a nick that was as far removed from my other (not-sports-related) internet nicks as possible. *shrug*

I'm almost tempted to get another nick now because I guess people associate the name with the pooh bear. But I don't, so I guess I'll just leave it this way, and if people want to think I chose it because I like Yuzuru Hanyu, oh well, that's okay then. :laugh:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I have to be honest, the fact that it looked rude is the reason why I did the search. Because I thought "bellflower seems like too nice a person to choose something rude. So, it must actually mean something..."

But, that is a great story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! :clap:

So now we have learnt something. That a certain Japanese skater makes people that speak Portuguese think of food.

It is finding out wee gems of information like this that make being on an international forum so enjoyable!

Thank you again for the story, and I hope you continue to enjoy the forum for many years to come as MalAssada.

CaroLiza_fan

When I first heard about her at Sochi, all I could think about was meat! :laugh: It made me think of carne asada (a type of Mexican beef that's used in burritos, tacos, carne asada fries, etc. :biggrin:)

MalAssada

Medalist
When I first heard about her at Sochi, all I could think about was meat! :laugh: It made me think of carne asada (a type of Mexican beef that's used in burritos, tacos, carne asada fries, etc. :biggrin:)

LOL, I thought about a rare steak :p

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I don't know if you have come across them, but there is actually a member on here that has the username "CarneAsada".

So, you and bellflower are clearly not the only ones that think about food when watching Mao! ;) :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I thought about changing my nick, but I actually only a few months ago clued in to the fact that my nickname has a double meaning.

Did anyone here think Winnie referred to Winnie the Pooh?

Erm, I actually thought it was your real name... :slink:

Because it doesn't. In fact, I dislike Winnie the Pooh. Always have, always will. Just because I like Yuzuru Hanyu doesn't make me like the bear. I just never even gave it a thought when I chose the nickname. Winnie, in fact, is the name of a palomino Welsh pony I used to admire from afar at the riding school. (I never even rode her.) I wanted a nick that was as far removed from my other (not-sports-related) internet nicks as possible. *shrug*

Whilst I can't understand you not liking Winnie the Pooh, I can understand from your story why the name "Winnie" means so much to you.

I'm almost tempted to get another nick now because I guess people associate the name with the pooh bear. But I don't, so I guess I'll just leave it this way, and if people want to think I chose it because I like Yuzuru Hanyu, oh well, that's okay then. :laugh:

Well, if you don't associate it with the bear, then don't worry about what anybody else thinks. That horse clearly meant a lot to you, so if you want to pay tribute to her, then that is all that matters.

And thank you for sharing this story with us.

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
What a fun idea for a thread! It is interesting to hear the stories behind the usernames.

I'm slightly obsessed with the weather, and I'm female so...that's where my username comes from. I first used it when I had to create a Mii character to play Wii console games with my son several years ago. My son and husband always tease me about my love for the weather so that popped into my head. It's now become a favorite name--and a nod to my family as well as weather--and I've used it in one form or another in different settings.

On unintended consequence is that I've had people ask me if I'm a weather forecaster--some even think I'm a TV "weathergal." But truth be told, if I were on TV, the nerd in me would want to be a real meteorologist reporting from The Weather Channel. But...since I'm not that glamorous, and I only took one meteorology course as one of my science requirements in college, neither scenario is too likely! :laugh:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I wanted to, I even posted it in the requesting thread. But then decided against it and deleted the post :biggrin:

peg

Medalist
Peg is short for pegasus. Plus, it means people (correctly) assume I'm female