Breakout Stars of the 2015-16 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Breakout Stars of the 2015-16 Season

Rissa

Record Breaker
Rika.

It's not like she sprung out of nowhere, because hey GPF last season, but this season she's different, most likely due to two really good programs.

kalee

On the Ice
For junior ladies, what about Yuna Shiraiwa? She was truly out of nowhere this season and probably has even surprised her own fed with her JGP performance.

At the senior level, let's give some love for Elizabet Tursynbaeva too. She has been posting TES to compete with the top of them even though her presentation has yet to catch up.

Rissa

Record Breaker
At the senior level, let's give some love for Elizabet Tursynbaeva too. She has been posting TES to compete with the top of them even though her presentation has yet to catch up.

I'm a fan of Elizabet but she's far from a breakout star yet. Too messy. Once she catches up on presentation and cleans up her act, then she may break out.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Rika Hongo. She's breaking out this year. Last year was an introduction. This year, she's blossoming.
I like to watch skaters who are happy to be there. Watching them make me happy. Rika is doing that.

Warwick360

Medalist
For me, it has to be Boyang. If you say his name repeatedly and fast enough, it would probably create the image of his entire program. :p

For me, I still wouldn't call this Breakout year, since she already burst into the spotlight with a GP win. But then again, if she somehow manages to medal at GPF and World's, I might actually change my mind.

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
For me, it has to be Boyang. If you say his surname repeatedly and fast enough, it would probably create the image of his entire program. :p

I am guessing you're referring to the sound of saying "Boyang" repeatedly? But his surname is actually "Jin" :D

FlattFan

Match Penalty
https://youtu.be/sxAA3-3iV24?t=58

A little clip of Shizuka being paraded around after she won the gold medal in 2006. And look who's sitting in the car next to Shizuka. So cute!
Anyway, Rika is really lucky to be able to get all the one-on-one session with Akiko. No wonder she was able to improve her performance so much within a short time. Girls who are flailing should contact Akiko for some sessions.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Only two, in my opinion:

Ladies: Hongo
Men: Uno

I don´t see Jin as a break-out star, break-out jumper would be a more appropriate title at this point...

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
https://youtu.be/sxAA3-3iV24?t=58

A little clip of Shizuka being paraded around after she won the gold medal in 2006. And look who's sitting in the car next to Shizuka. So cute!
Anyway, Rika is really lucky to be able to get all the one-on-one session with Akiko. No wonder she was able to improve her performance so much within a short time. Girls who are flailing should contact Akiko for some sessions.

Thanks for sharing (love Japanese FS TV!!!)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I actually think Tobias and Tkachenko might podium at Euros this quad if they keep on at this rate...

I highly doubt that, they're not on that level yet, but maybe after Cappellini/Lanotte will retire it will be possible.

I think they'll be top 5 this year already, and top 10 at Worlds. They're really good and the field is so open right now.

Yeah, my feeling right now is seriously, who is likely to beat them at Euros? Cappellini and Lannote, but these two unfortunately fall in and out of favor with the judges- this appears to be shaping into a good one for them, but who knows what next year will bring.... and then the Russians, all of whom look good, but none of whom are looking all that super exceptionally awesome themselves. In fact I would not be shocked if they manage to beat at least one of the Russian teams, though I will admit that if they managed to beat all of them I might faint from shock.

Papadakis/Cizeron, Cappellini/Lanotte, Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Bobrova/Soloviev, Coomes/Buckland, Sinitsina/Katsalapov (likely), Guignard/Fabbri (likely), Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen (probably) come to mind immediately. Probably someone else. Same for Worlds, add here two or even three US and two Canadian teams, maybe someone else. I'm all in for them being in top 10, but I doubt this will happen this season. Time will tell, I guess. Maybe I'm wrong :)

Time will tell indeed, but I see them ahead of the 2nd-ranked Italians and the Danish team already, and who knows what the Russians will do on any given day. I also sense Gilles/Poirier falling out of favor a bit, and they are vulnerable to a more classical team. I think T/T are very much in the mix.

I bookmarked this thread just in case. :) It'll be interesting to see the outcome.
They have tons of work to do. I mean TONS. But potential is there, definitely.

I forgot about P/C since we haven't seen them yet this year, you are right about that. Co/Bu could beat them but I don't view it as certain. I don't think G/F will beat them, especially with the current programs, or that FB/S will either. I could of course also be wrong- time will tell :)

LOL I also bookmarked it just for fun :cheer:

I think it's time to come back to our little discussion. Hate to say this, but I told you so.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Juniors - Daniel Samohin, obviously, along with Dmitri, Deniss Vasiljevs, Alisa, Marin Honda, Petr Gumennik (no medals on the JGP, but he just won 2 other events back to back, and he's only 13). Boyang & Evgenia for seniors.

These were my predictions in November. Petr didn't get to go to JW, but I think I did pretty good apart from that :)

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Dennis Vasiliev. Absolutely loved his SD.

Well he is not exactly in Ice Dancing but his performance was indeed like a dancing extravaganza, wasn't it. I absolutely LOVE this boy, I have since last season!!!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well he is not exactly in Ice Dancing but his performance was indeed like a dancing extravaganza, wasn't it. I absolutely LOVE this boy, I have since last season!!!

Absolutely gorgeous. He moves like a great ice dancer and does the jumps. One of the highlights of these world championships for sure :) :love:

whatif

Medalist
I am not sure most of the names mentioned here exactly qualify as break outs. However I am surprised nobody mentioned Mikhail Kolyada. Now here is the real break out star. From literally a nobody until this Fall to getting into the last group at Worlds in the Spring. Like, hello!!!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am not sure most of the names mentioned here exactly qualify as break outs. However I am surprised nobody mentioned Mikhail Kolyada. Now here is the real break out star. From literally a nobody until this Fall to getting into the last group at Worlds in the Spring. Like, hello!!!!

Probably because the thread is from the fall when he was still a "nobody" (to those who don't follow Russian skating, at least). Rostelecom Cup was his first major senior competition.

Weathergal

Medalist

Funny you say that because Kolyada is the first person I thought of, but then he totally captured my interest at CoR! I thought he would do well at Worlds but honestly didn't think he'd place as high as he did. Very happy for him and look forward to seeing where he goes from here.

Other breakout stars of the season for me:
Boyang Jin - not a huge fan of his skating but certainly have respect for his unbelievable jumping prowess
Evgenia Medvedeva - has won almost everything her first year in seniors

bramweld

Record Breaker
Sui/Han SP yesterday blew me away. I've watched that over and over. None of the SD' that we saw a few days ago interested me as much.

Perdita

Final Flight

If you take a look at a similar thread called New Discoveries of the Season which was started after COR, quite a lot of people did mention Kolyada. But I don't think any of them thought at that moment he would go as high as 4th place finish at the World...!!!

Last edited: