Virtue and Moir plan return in 16-17 season | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir plan return in 16-17 season

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
Manifesto, which I guess is some kind of Sports PR company, has two pages that seem to imply that Virtue/Moir told them they'd be coming back in time for the 2018 Olympics???

Here:

"Tessa believes that the pair still has the competitive fire and artistic depth to make a return to their third Olympics in Pyeongchang 2018."​

And here:

Targeting: PyeongChang 2018​

Do you think that Virtue/Moir actually told Manifesto that they were planning a comeback? Or do you think that Manifesto is just stretching their interpretation of V/M's already vague statements?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Manifesto, which I guess is some kind of Sports PR company, has two pages that seem to imply that Virtue/Moir told them they'd be coming back in time for the 2018 Olympics???

Here:

"Tessa believes that the pair still has the competitive fire and artistic depth to make a return to their third Olympics in Pyeongchang 2018."​

And here:

Do you think that Virtue/Moir actually told Manifesto that they were planning a comeback? Or do you think that Manifesto is just stretching their interpretation of V/M's already vague statements?

I don't know what their plans are but, I'd be in full favor of seeing them compete again.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
I feel like I should be opposed to this, but I'm not. I think I'd actually look forward to watching them and see how other teams respond.

tulosai

Record Breaker
This would be awesome if true. I imagine if it's true we'll have further confirmation shortly.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
....Do you think that Virtue/Moir actually told Manifesto that they were planning a comeback? Or do you think that Manifesto is just stretching their interpretation of V/M's already vague statements?

Thanks for the links.
I for one am taking them with a grain of salt.

Tessa and Scott have been open that they have not ruled out a comeback.
But that is not the same as saying that they are planning a comeback.

Manifesto is stirring up the pot, but I wonder whether the idea originated with Manifesto executives or with Tessa herself.
I hope Tessa is not uncomfortable with the wording on the Manifesto pages. It's not like her (AFAIK) to play games with the press or with V/M's fans.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
I agree. I think that if they were going to make a comeback announcement, they would publish an official statement, or say it very clearly in an interview. This seems like either a) Manifesto has published this without express permission from Tessa, or b) Manifesto is over-interpreting things.

I would love to see them come back because I think it would light a fire under the butts of other teams, and we would get stronger performances out of everyone (with the bonus of new Virtue/Moir programs). Here's hoping for the Tango Romantica to get pulled for the 2017/2018 SD Compulsory, and killer programs.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I loved loved loved virtue and moir and discovered them before they got famous. I can't believe I'm saying this, but no, I don't look forward to seeing them comeback. I want to see fresh new faces competing against each other. I have my eyes on a very young American ice dancing pair :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This would be awesome if true. I imagine if it's true we'll have further confirmation shortly.

They would, if the international picture is like it is today, have a relatively easy path to Gold. Nobody has claimed to level of excellence they and Davis/White possessed over the past 6 six years.

JMJ2015

Rinkside
I don't know what their plans are but, I'd be in full favor of seeing them compete again.

I actually wouldn't. I didn't realize that until right this minute but I don't want to see them or Davis/White return, despite loving both teams (although D/W are always going to be the ones who made me love skating). If they do ice dance returns to its' former dynamic. If both teams return it is nearly certain to be between them again. If one team returns and the other doesn't the one who returns will dominate and that will be to the detriment of the teams who have worked so hard to become today's top teams. As much as I love D/W and would love to see another one of their intense, technically amazing programs, I think of the Shibutanis who have worked so hard to finally get to be the top team in the US suddenly becoming the 2nd team. I think it is the time for the younger teams to dominate and V/M and D/W to move on.

(Not that I'd not watch happily if they returned but I just think it would change things in a way I'm not sure is good, particularly if only one of the 2 teams returned and the more I've read the less likely think it is that D/W will return; I think they've almost said that but not quite. One team dominating so much would almost be boring I think. Again, not going to not watch and love, but just seems too late to me).

tulosai

Record Breaker
I actually wouldn't. I didn't realize that until right this minute but I don't want to see them or Davis/White return, despite loving both teams (although D/W are always going to be the ones who made me love skating). If they do ice dance returns to its' former dynamic. If both teams return it is nearly certain to be between them again. If one team returns and the other doesn't the one who returns will dominate and that will be to the detriment of the teams who have worked so hard to become today's top teams. As much as I love D/W and would love to see another one of their intense, technically amazing programs, I think of the Shibutanis who have worked so hard to finally get to be the top team in the US suddenly becoming the 2nd team. I think it is the time for the younger teams to dominate and V/M and D/W to move on.

(Not that I'd not watch happily if they returned but I just think it would change things in a way I'm not sure is good, particularly if only one of the 2 teams returned and the more I've read the less likely think it is that D/W will return; I think they've almost said that but not quite. One team dominating so much would almost be boring I think. Again, not going to not watch and love, but just seems too late to me).

It's not their fault if none of the teams who have worked so hard have managed to become good enough to beat them. It's not the fault of the teams who have worked so hard either- as you say, they are working hard, and I mean no disrespect to that- but if a team is the best, they are the best, and if they can compete and win because they are the best, they should be 100% able to do so. I do agree it would make the dynamic a bit less exciting, but I'd be fine with that because I believe we'd be seeing better skating. Moreover, it might inspire some of the teams under them to work even harder to attain a level that could actually compete with V/M. There was a time it seemed like Davis and White wouldn't be able to catch them either, but they ultimately did. I believe someone else could too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I agree. I think that if they were going to make a comeback announcement, they would publish an official statement, or say it very clearly in an interview. This seems like either a) Manifesto has published this without express permission from Tessa, or b) Manifesto is over-interpreting things. ...

Meanwhile, aside from the question of 2018:
I hope Tessa will fire Manifesto :ddevil:. She deserves better representation.

Two examples of terrible :eek: writing, IMO:

(1) A marketing profile of Tessa should not start with a reference to Torvill and Dean. I also do not like that it says that Tessa and Scott were searching for their own Bolero moment.
As great as Torvill and Dean were, Tessa and Scott should be celebrated for being themselves, and should not be framed as being T/D wannabes.​

(2) Saying that Tessa and Scott "settled for silver" is no way to promote them.
Tessa and Scott are very proud of their silver (although of course they would have preferred gold).
"Settled for silver" is something that a third-party journalist would write.
Someone on Team Tessa should not be using that phrase.​

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't think of a reason that they'd want to compete again. They are already World and Olympic Champions and have been to the top of the heap. If anything, I'd love to see them go into Coaching like Brian Orser. At this point, they'd be displacing a young up and coming team and that would be sad.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Apparently, in an interview at Canadian Nationals, Tessa hadn't heard of their comeback rumor and said that the state of Canadian ice dance was in good hands.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I can't think of a reason that they'd want to compete again. They are already World and Olympic Champions and have been to the top of the heap. If anything, I'd love to see them go into Coaching like Brian Orser. At this point, they'd be displacing a young up and coming team and that would be sad.

I can. They made no secret they want a second Olympic medal.

They don't have it.

They may still want it. That would be a reason.

As for displacing teams, again, that's not their fault. If the other teams want to beat them, I'm sorry, but the other teams have to get better.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can. They made no secret they want a second Olympic medal.

They don't have it.

They may still want it. That would be a reason.

As for displacing teams, again, that's not their fault. If the other teams want to beat them, I'm sorry, but the other teams have to get better.

Well, that makes sense. Has their been a 2 time Olympic Champion? I wish I knew more about the event but, isn't Ice Dance relatively new to the Olympics?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Well, that makes sense. Has their been a 2 time Olympic Champion? I wish I knew more about the event but, isn't Ice Dance relatively new to the Olympics?

Oksana Grishuk/Evgeni Platov are the only two time Olympic Champions. It became an Olympic sport in 1976.

Manifesto, which I guess is some kind of Sports PR company,…

Say no more. It is their job to keep their clients' names in the public awareness.

Two examples of terrible :eek: writing, IMO:

(1) A marketing profile of Tessa should not start with a reference to Torvill and Dean. I also do not like that it says that Tessa and Scott were searching for their own Bolero moment.

:laugh: Seriously. The thrust of the article is, Virtue and Moir are OK, but TORVILL AND DEAN!!! -- who could possibly hope to match them.

Last edited:

kresslia

Medalist
This seems to be the rumour those in the know have been spewing. TSL mentioned it, and the commentators at Canadian Nationals mentioned they've heard rumblings that they could be coming back (Tracy Wilson in particular). They asked V/M about it and they just kinda said "the focus should be on the skaters here".

RABID

Final Flight
Apparently, in an interview at Canadian Nationals, Tessa hadn't heard of their comeback rumor.

I'm kind of torn about this. I liked Yuna's reasons for returning. This however seems a little opportunistic to me and unworthy of them. On the other hand Tessa :love: , the drama and last but not least, their skating. :love::points::love:

Last edited: