Virtue and Moir vs. The World | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir vs. The World

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I wished they had gone back to Igor actually. The monotony of D/L is scaring me. But lets hope for the best. They did give us the Smart and Diaz SD
That SD was choreographed by Antonio Najarro. But their 'Picasso' FD was done by David Wilson who apparently is going to help Virtue/Moir with their programs. At least hopefully their collaboration was not limited only to the exhibition that he choreographed for them. But I think Dubreuil/Lauzon let Virtue/Moir collaborate with Wilson also for their competitive programs if they are smart enough to understand that V/M need to differentiate themselves from D/L's other top team - Papadakis/Cizeron.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I really doubt OP's question of "the hottest ice dance queen" is meant to imply who is more attractive or more hoochie or less hoochie or beautiful. I was under the impression it more about ice dance queen diva quality, with "hottest" being a fun adjective not intended for us to actually evaluate their looks.

Chock is queen ice dance diva, IMO. (Or maybe Guillaume or Nikita ;)).

:thumbsup:
It was never my intention to rile up people on who's more attractive/hoochie/ugly/whatever. It's just for plain amusement. I'll probably adjust the question to be a bit clearer.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Anyone know how the Shibs will stack against their former rinkmates? I'm pretty sure the Shibs' main advantage are the twizzles but can their massive improvement on their presentation and their technical skills match V/M's? The Shibs are also quite consistent too so that may add to this question...:think:

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
To me the Shibutanis are as smooth as butter but all I can see with them is their amazing twizzles .I still think they skate small and I find them boring to watch.IMO C/B will be right at their heels this season and could retain number one USA .Judges like C/B so with better programmes and less mistakes S/S better watch out.C/B are definitely more interesting.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
To me the Shibutanis are as smooth as butter but all I can see with them is their amazing twizzles .I still think they skate small and I find them boring to watch.
Yes, I have the same issue with their skating, they need more power and speed. When you focus on their feet, they regularly do little hops to catch up speed, I remember esp. noticing it in their SD. They also still lack amplitude of movement for me.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Yes, I have the same issue with their skating, they need more power and speed. When you focus on their feet, they regularly do little hops to catch up speed, I remember esp. noticing it in their SD. They also still lack amplitude of movement for me.

It's an Igor trick. V/M are one of his only teams/former teams that don't it that often.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
What will they be skating to?
We don't know yet. They have not announced their music. Also, if you want to know what someone's programs are, just see the first post of the '2016-2017 Programs by Discipline' thread. It is constantly updated with skater's music choices as soon as they become known.

Matt K

On the Ice
I believe that Davis/White are preparing a return to competition since V/M's announcement in February, and it would not surprise me if D/W and Zoueva are secretly working on their 2018 Olympic programs already. D/W will not skate in 2016-2017, but it would not surprise me if they and Marina Zoueva are already preparing Olympic material 2 years ahead to 2018.

I cannot imagine D/W not wanting to return after hearing of V/M's announcement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cannot imagine why D/W would consider a return. They both have very busy lives outside competitive skating, and they did leave on the highest note possible. They tour in shows, and Charlie, in particular, is very active in the world of figure skating, doing choreography for skaters in many disciplines. I don't see how they would have time to practice and don't see how they could do that "in secret" with a coach who works with so many other teams.

V/M are returning because they want that second gold medal, always a risky proposition after being away for so long. I just don't see the same urge for more and more glory in D/W.

Sorry, but NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

What would be cool is if Zoueva could whip up the Shibutanis to have a shot at the 2018 Olympic championship. That would give her three in a row. :rock:

Or … maybe Dubrielle and Lauzon's teams will go 1-2 in Pyeongchang.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
I cannot imagine why D/W would consider a return. They both have very busy lives outside competitive skating, and they did leave on the highest note possible. They tour in shows, and Charlie, in particular, is very active in the world of figure skating, doing choreography for skaters in many disciplines. I don't see how they would have time to practice and don't see how they could do that "in secret" with a coach who works with so many other teams.

Completely agree. D/W ended their career on a high note. No point coming back and soiling their reputation. V/M are taking a risk coming back after two years to a field that's deepened since they've left. They still have something to prove, D/W don't.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think V/M have anything to prove, and I'd bet most of their fans would agree, but I guess they think they do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What would be cool is if Zoueva could whip up the Shibutanis to have a shot at the 2018 Olympic championship. That would give her three in a row. :rock:

Or … maybe Dubrielle and Lauzon's teams will go 1-2 in Pyeongchang.

Dubrielle? that's a pretty name but i have never heard it :) #Dubreuil

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think they have anything to prove either... I think they are just coming back because they love competing.... And they are pretty aware they have no idea where they will place in the standings...
I don't think V/M have anything to prove, and I'd bet most of their fans would agree, but I guess they think they do.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Tessa and Scott are in agreement with you that they do not have anything to prove :).
(As am I.)

Tessa's own words in Jun 2016 (emphasis added):

The road back to the ice hasn’t come easy for the skating champions. Just because you have a few medals to your name, doesn’t make a return to the top a walk in the park. “The biggest lesson has been that there are no shortcuts. It’s just a lot of hard work and a lot of sacrifice to get what you want,”; Virtue says. “That’s a powerful message – and I hope I can take that into whatever I end up doing post skating. But for now, we just want to create art. We don’t really have anything to prove and that’s very refreshing.”
http://etcanada.com/news/48547/ice-...alance-on-the-long-road-back-to-the-olympics/

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think they do. They clearly thought they should have been gold in Sochi and they did not feel silver acceptable. With Scott Moir it is about winning about the medals because they could be making artistic programs as pros much more easily and without the stress of doing crazy lifts and high speed twizzles. Many top ice skaters feel it is about the medals in so called eligible skating where everyone is pushing every envelope to the max.

They always felt and implied they were the best and I think it is too bad they don't see that esp in ice dance because it is still so subjective. There was not a best in Sochi. It is what the judges preferred. But if they get another podium finish that makes them one up on Davis and White. This team will compete in some way until both retire completely. You could see Meryl's face in 2010. She thought their Bollywood was better and she felt she was Golden. Charlie is more laid back.

What I would love to see is what Scott Moir could accomplish with Meryl Davis- two driven people- one better technically and other better artistically. I do think we will see the same style that Virtue Moir are famous for and do best if they hang until 2018 and go to Olympics. They will not win- that I would bet money on. Maybe bronze.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm curious. Who do you think will beat them besides Papadakis and Cizeron?

McNamara and Carpenter :biggrin:

(Totally joking, in case the emoticon didn't imply it. The idea is interesting to consider, though-will any of the current juniors get off to that strong of a start in the Olympic year?)

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice

I agree with you, I should have worded it better. I love watching them and no matter what happens in this comeback they're always going to be one of my favorite teams. I think you're exactly right and they feel they have something to prove, and want that second Oly Gold.