Virtue and Moir vs. The World | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir vs. The World

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
LOL at the bait title but it does concern their comeback. Also, I created the thread to create some attention for the ice dance kingdom. I'm not super in-depth with ice dance but there's been a lot of singles thread lately so I decided to make one about it.

Some questions for start:

Other than the French, who else should they be concerned of? And have those competitors caught up to their calibre yet? What are Tessa and Scott's weaknesses that will prevent them from winning? What are their advantages?

Fun questions :)laugh: feel free to explain!)
Will Tessa regain her title as hottest ice dance diva queen of the ice from Elena I.?
Who's the better hip-hop dancer: Tessa or Guillame? :laugh2:
Will we get more fun interviews from Scott that will fire up the GS forums? :devil:
Will their comeback incite Meryl and Charlie to do so as well?
Are you excited for the upcoming seasons in preparation of the 2018 Games?

Feel free to come up more serious and fun questions if you have any!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol i will just answer a couple questions for fun ;)

tessa never stopped being the hottest ice dance queen ;)

Guillaume is the best at hip hop... he is truly amazing... Patrick is not bad either ;)

Meryl and Charlie are done. If they were to come back... Madison would have a fit ;)

i am super excited ;)

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Excellent bait, as an ice dance fan, I totally fell for it :agree:
I agree with @4everchan's comments esp. about Guillaume's hip hop abilities. I'm under the impression though Gadbois is going for a comprehensive approach to the SD rythms, including, swing, hip hop and lindy hop to link it with blues, which could be amazing.
As for tessa and scott, I don't think they should be worried of anyone else but themselves. They clearly stated they wanted to explore a new side to their skating and interpretation, so they're under pressure to renew themselves which is never easy esp. after working for so long in a certain way with the same coach. They also can't copy what P/C are doing, it would be a wrong strategy imo.
Weaknesses, advantages, we can't know before seeing them, two years off can play tricks on skaters, but they could also be as good as ever esp. training alongside the world champions. Huge motivator, but the reverse is true for P/C being inspired by Tessa and Scott.
I think the Shibs will keep pushing and be fierce competitors now they overcame so much last season, but they need more power and speed. I also think Alex needs to deepen his interpretation even more so since Maia has opened up a lot last season. I don't think W/P will manage to bounce back though. Their skating for me has stagnated, I don't think they have this extra something which makes one mesmerized and their technique, though quite good, isn't excellent enough to compensate for it.
In the end, the male skaters better bring it on, Cizeron and Scott are charismatic talented male partners which truly sets those teams apart as I don't feel this is the case to that extent in any other top teams. Plus, they're blessed with amazing partners, Gaby and Tessa to make a killer combo.

Thanks for opening a thread about ice dance.

Madison Chock is no slouch in the hottest ice dance queen contest.

Davis and White have no incentive to come back to competition. They are off and running in their real lives.

Will Virtue and Moir be able to pick up where they left off, or will it be a case of "that was then, this is now"?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well honestly, it's not like ice dance has evolved to the point that they cannot get back to where they were.... seriously, it's not like men... where in 18 months, people learned a whole bunch of new quads and to be competitive, former world champion Patrick needs to pick up new jumps... In ice dance, well, they change the rules every year but the content is always similar... it is then a question of fitness and dedication....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LOL at the bait title but it does concern their comeback. ...

Are you excited for the upcoming seasons in preparation of the 2018 Games?...

I am very excited for the upcoming season :dance2:.

But ... I consider one of your other questions downright despicable :dev2: for trying to elicit pot-shots [or worse] against Tessa/Scott.
Not funny. Shame on you :roll5:. (I took the "bait." Happy now?)

... They clearly stated they wanted to explore a new side to their skating and interpretation, so they're under pressure to renew themselves which is never easy esp. after working for so long in a certain way with the same coach. ...

It will not be easy, and Tessa/Scott know it.
I'm thrilled that they have left MZ.

Go :yay:, Tessa :luv17: and Scott :luv17:.

... In the end, the male skaters better bring it on, Cizeron and Scott are charismatic talented male partners which truly sets those teams apart as I don't feel this is the case to that extent in any other top teams. Plus, they're blessed with amazing partners, Gaby and Tessa to make a killer combo. ...

:agree:
And I hope that Maia :luv17: and Alex :luv17: will be on the world podium with these two couples.

Last edited:

matcha

Medalist
If you wanna make an Ice Dancing topic à la 2016-17 State of [discipline], perhaps it'd be wiser to title it as such? 👀👀

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Since we are all interested in Tessa and Scott who are these two dating if anyone. Will they ever admit they cannot live without each other? I think Scott has loved her for a thousand years.

slider11

Medalist
Virtue and Moir's return makes for great ice dance drama. Good to keep the ratings up in the sport. Maybe ice dance will get better media coverage with the GPs and Worlds. I still prefer Papadakis/Cizeron, Shibs and Weaver/Poje.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

Davis and White have no incentive to come back to competition. They are off and running in their real lives.

Will Virtue and Moir be able to pick up where they left off, or will it be a case of "that was then, this is now"?

I think it all depends on the judges and also how well they are received by audiences. For me personally, I want to see new blood, younger dancers :)

Botan

Rinkside
Will we get more fun interviews from Scott that will fire up the GS forums? :devil:

They will be fired up no matter what he says simply because they want to be fired up. None of his comments in the past deserved the hatred that they got, Scott has always been pretty harmless.
The demonization of Scott has reached ridiculous levels within the skating fandom. All the while they were completely ignoring the actual problematic things some of his competitors have said.
No, Scott won't say anything outrageous but that won't stop a certain section of people to act like he's the anti christ.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't care who the skaters are, it IS very difficult to come back to competition when you've been away from it for awhile. This will be interesting.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Madison Chock is very gorgeous, but her partner Evan doesn't stand out. It is like Klimov whose presence is almost forgotten and dim on the ice because of his too conspicuous partner.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Madison Chock is very gorgeous, but her partner Evan doesn't stand out. It is like Klimov whose presence is almost forgotten and dim on the ice because of his too conspicuous partner.

I think Evan knows he doesn't need to consciously outshine his partner: he is, remarkably, a confident man. He reminds me of the quiet and gentle Sergei Grinkov.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think Evan knows he doesn't need to consciously outshine his partner: he is, remarkably, a confident man. He reminds me of the quiet and gentle Sergei Grinkov.

I want "two dancers" to shine together on the ice, not just one partner to outshine the other. I don't relate Evan to Grinkov at all because Sergei was quite but charismatic partner to support his beautiful and young partner Gordeeva. I'm sure Evan is confident in himself so as are the other top skaters. However his such quality is not remarkably evident on the ice to my eyes.