Figure Skating Moves That You Like | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Moves That You Like

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The other thread about everything that people don't like makes me sad to see. I'd like to hear what you like to see and maybe even why.

I'm not too hard to please myself and I'll have to live with that but I think most moves/elements that skaters do can and are mostly done really well. He's a few things I like.

1) Tanos :drama:

I think skating needs more interesting positions in jumping and I'd even support moves like double jumps with interesting boot/blade grabs or stylistic alternatives scoring equal to triple jumps with no added features. :drama: I know that makes heads explode but creativity and artistry has a place in a sport that in theory rewards it. Even on the jumps. Why on earth people want everyone jumping the exact same for six out of seven jumping passes boggles my mind.

Too bad Serafima jumped so poorly this year. Her Rippon jumps were stunning IMO!

2) Flexible Spins

Sure not everyone can or could do them but those that can should. Push the limits and do things that others can't. They should be rewarded better but at least even without the appropriate rewards some skaters are pushing the boundaries and finding new ways to skate.

3) Ina Bauer

Let it go. Reach back and feel the freedom. This move is one of the most expressive movements and especially when held out and the extension of it lends itself to the program. Obviously Yulia is amazing at it and one of the reasons I love her but look at Mao this year for example in her Madame Butterfly. Wow. It is so perfectly timed and executed well. What a move.

4) Jump Combos

Favorite is 2a-3t-2t. The flow is great often and when executed with speed it's nice to see the second jump as a highlight. When this is done well it is one of the best elements in terms of how it fits into a program in my opinion.

5) Solo Jumps

Salchow. It kind of reminds me of an Axel but it just sort of stands out and has a cool look to it. Loops and Salchows still sometimes confuse me but I prefer a Salchow.

I'll give special mention to the 3a too because it is a golden standard for the men and even some women have made it their own ;) I'm looking right at you Mao :eek::

6). Layback Spin

Underscored always and it sucks that the great ones compared to the crappy ones don't get the respect they deserve but there is something about a layback that has the power to hush an arena full of thousands of amped up spectators to complete silence. This is my favorite move and I just love it more than anything.

Favorite Ladies Move: Layback

Favorite Men's Move: 3a

Favorite Pairs Move: Salchow Throws

Favorite Dance Move: Twizzles

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I think this thread is a great idea.:)

1)The simple spiral. Free leg extended and controlled. Not wobbling or shaking, held for at least 30 seconds with a change of edge without dropping the free leg. To me this move is women's figure skating. It's just so breathtaking when done right.

2)The classic layback. The ballerina in the jewelry box. A beautiful and timeless move.

3)The Ina Bauer. Just so gorgeous. Brings so much to a program.

4)The triple axel, especially the entrance into it. It is a big jump and when landed it has a huge wow factor for me.

5)The spread eagle, if held for at least 10 - 15 seconds is so stunning.

6)A good scratch spin. Brilliant way to end a program.

7)The flip. A difficult jump and gorgeous to see.

There are more of course, but this is it for now.

Last edited:

kiches

Final Flight
How about Hanyu's 3a-1lo-3s. YESS!!!!

Seconded, I love the way Yuzuru does 1/2 loop combos.

Things I like:

1. Transitions/steps directly into jumps - Long jump setups take me out of the moment so I love it when jumps blend seamlessly into the program. Yuzuru's entries into nearly all his jumps in this year's Seimei program (the 3F and entry into the 3A-1L-3S in particular), spread eagle-jump-spread eagle, and his back counter 3A from his Parisienne Walkways SP are some of my favorites. Satoko's wally jump and when Mao used to do brackets into her 3A was really impressive.

2. Big jumps with nice tight air position and flow on the landing - This is obvious of course, I like jumps "from the legs" vs arms.

3. Twizzles!

4. Mao's step sequences - I don't think I've seen a step sequence of hers I didn't like. My current favorites are her Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2, Swan Lake, and Fantasy for Violin. I also secretly wish one day she'll turn her Por Una Cabeza exhibition program into a competitive program (she has wonderful exhibition pieces).

Also, this isn't a move but I love when you can see the joy exuding from a skater as they skate, the first example I can think of was when Akiko Suzuki finished her free skate at 2013 Japanese Nationals.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki, Mao Asada, and Satoko Miyahara's spirals are all so exquisite and beautiful. The two best things about them are that they look absolutely effortless and that the skater usually has this big smile on their face during the move. :)

Edit: Oh and also, Polina Edmunds has fantastic twizzles. And one more: not a particular move, but that knee bend when Jin Seo Kim lands his jumps is awesome. :love:

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I quite like unusual or eye catching moves like Shoma Uno's cantilever glide, Arakawa's Ina Bauer was second to none and I also loved Michelle Kwan's Charlotte. They are all moves that are impressive when performed well so I guess who is doing them and at what level counts towards the enjoyment factor!

Whereas I agree with the OP about the tano position in jumps, that it can be a fantastic move, my only problem is the overuse of the position within a programme when it becomes gimmicky or a little sloppy looking and loses its impact (no names mentioned as the main culprit has beautiful skating outside of this - just wish that wasn't a feature of their programmes!). I'd also offer kudos to skaters making the jumps interesting with transitions both in and out of the jump.

Perdita

Final Flight
I like the repetition of choreography that highlights the music... like this one or this one.
I don't know that many programmes under 6.0 system, but I feel there were more of these kind of repetitive choreography in the 6.0 era (Yagudin's Winter and G/P's Memorial came to my mind) than under COP and I don't get why! They’re so effective and captivating when it’s choreographed and performed well.

Also, I love Kaetlyn’s spread eagle 2A. That landing :love: She even got better after the injury.

ETA: I later realised that Mao Ex, Yagudin's Winter and G/P's Memorial are all choreographed by Tat. So maybe it's a Tat thing rather than scoring system :laugh:

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Jumps: Triple loop, there's nothing prettier than a triple loop timed well to the music, also unusual jump combinations (like the one-foot axel-salchow) I also liked the double-triple combinations that no one seems to do anymore...., secure jumps that have nice flow out of them. Also inside axels and anything kind of out of the ordinary

Spins: Centered and fast, nice positions that highlight the lines of the human body, flexibility for the sake of flexibility is usually just grotesque

footwork: individualized to the music and what it seems to call for rather than the crazy quilt turns currently required.

free skating moves: cantilevers! barrel rolls! russian splits! split falling leafs!

In short: I like moves that come out of the skates and edges (rather than against or in spite of them) and moves that highlight the grace and strength of the human body (rather than flexibility for its own sake).

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
This is an even better idea :) I love a lot of fs moves hahaha

These are my favorite:

Jumps in general but my favorite are 3F-3T (especially those done by Yuna, which I think is more balance looking than a 3Lz-3T), Yuna's 3Lz-3T, Mao's 3S, and Hanyu's 3A and 3A combos

Layback Spins - I love the classic position especially Sasha's

Arm variation in Layback Spins - I would say I like this even more so than a good arch on the back that has no arm variation. Without arm variations, layback spins would look stiff IMO. (don't shoot me haha). One of the things I like about Yuna's spins is the arm variation she does to compensate for her leg position.

Layback Ina Bauer and Ina Bauer in general

Yuna's Bent-leg Layover Camel Spin - a thing of beauty

Spread eagle/Ina Bauer to 2A

Twizzles with arm held up like this ( I actually don't know what it's called. I'm just inventing terms here. hahahaha)

And not really a move but I love a beautiful running edge after a jump much more than a quick transition. Just linger on that flowing edge. :)

Last edited:

elinoo93

Spectator
Satoko's and Mao's spiral! So beautiful :)
I love Yuzu's lunge in PW too! It really fit in the program and his NHK Seimei 3a + 2t! So effortless!