Figure Skating Moves That You Like | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Moves That You Like

desertskates

Medalist
A simple camel spin with lots of speed and a wonderful turned out foot. Sasha Cohen did this one best!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aww, thankyou alia jackson :D
This is my first post, and I'm kinda nervous! XD
Since english isn't my first language (even my 2nd and 3rd LOL) please forgive my mistakes :(

We love new members here :ghug:

Post often and post as long as you like. Your English is great !!!!:agree:

Layback11

Record Breaker
My list:

1. Bauers. A loooong Bauer into music with a good position is EVERYTHING.

2. Split jumps/spirals into crescendoes in the music. IMO, the only proper way to crescendo. :biggrin:

3. Laybacks with unique arm variations. I was thinking of Rika's layback in her SP where she crosses her hands (very cool), but I'm sure there are other people who do similar things. It can take a little of the impact away from a bad back/leg position.

4. Axel-loop combos: would a 2A-3Lo not be COMPLETELY EPIC? It most definitely would. :biggrin:

5. Axel throws: they just look cooler than other ones, for some reason.

6. Hyperextended biellmans: give me an Yulia Lipnitskaya or Elizabet Tursynbaeva biellman any day. I don't understand people who don't like biellmans...:sad21: THEY'RE PRETTY AND ALSO VERY FUN TO DO EVEN IF IT TAKES SIX MONTHS TO GET STRETCHY ENOUGH TO DO ONE.

7. Good sit spins: a good sit spin with a completely straight leg is a thing of beauty, but not many people actually do them well.

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
4. Mao's step sequences - I don't think I've seen a step sequence of hers I didn't like. My current favorites are her Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2, Swan Lake, and Fantasy for Violin. I also secretly wish one day she'll turn her Por Una Cabeza exhibition program into a competitive program (she has wonderful exhibition pieces).

That is my wish too!!!! I have a feeling that a Por una cabeza SP would kill!! (I can't even imagine how the StSq would be)

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
1. This has to be my first place - the spirals.

My favourite positions include:
-Arabesque - https://youtu.be/ELFerA2QZX8?t=2m34s (Sasha Cohen)
-Kerrigan,
-FORWARD cross-grab Biellmann (it has to be this very specific position)
-Fan - https://youtu.be/hsCZCM8AKCU?t=2m14s (Mao Asada, with the 2 aforementioned positions)
-Charlotte - https://youtu.be/tWpOfaDZW7M?t=3m50s (Michelle Kwan) / https://youtu.be/GC4MkorU-4w?t=4m32s (Ashley Wagner)

BRING BACK SPIRAL SEQUENCE!!!!!

2. Ina bauer

The best Ina bauer has to be Shizuka Arakawa's in Turandot, in both versions it is well-timed and stunning!

3. Hydroblading and Cantilever

Just like Yuzu's and Shoma's. But Akiko's one in 'Kill Bill' rocks!

4. Layback spin

I wish skaters could just maintain the playback position in a layback spin and just do variations with the arms, because it shows what it means by "simple is beautiful". One of the most impressive layback position: https://youtu.be/WuHu9rwqdrw?t=2m4s (Michelle Kwan)

5. Tano/Rippon

Now, when it comes to tano or Rippon, the arm(s) has/have to be either straight, or curved like a ballet arm. Others, NO.

Rippon - https://youtu.be/scliSDbBaaI?t=3m35s (Yuzuru Hanyu)
Tano - https://youtu.be/HqUe79mpgQ0?t=1m17s (Mao Asada)
The perfect musical tano - https://youtu.be/8zfJHd7woJU?t=3m37s (Mao Asada)

6. Both arms raised during landing

This is a very specific position by Mao and as far as I remember no one else that I have seen did this landing. Is there anyone else who did this position before? https://youtu.be/r6ryDt8ym8I?t=2m14s The move is like a "TA-DA!!!"

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
My list:

1. Bauers. A loooong Bauer into music with a good position is EVERYTHING.

3. Laybacks with unique arm variations. I was thinking of Rika's layback in her SP where she crosses her hands (very cool), but I'm sure there are other people who do similar things. It can take a little of the impact away from a bad back/leg position.

6. Hyperextended biellmans: give me an Yulia Lipnitskaya or Elizabet Tursynbaeva biellman any day. I don't understand people who don't like biellmans...:sad21: THEY'RE PRETTY AND ALSO VERY FUN TO DO EVEN IF IT TAKES SIX MONTHS TO GET STRETCHY ENOUGH TO DO ONE.

7. Good sit spins: a good sit spin with a completely straight leg is a thing of beauty, but not many people actually do them well.

1. I actually really liked Gracie's old entrance into her solo 3Lz where she would hold that ina bauer and then jump and I wish she would do it again, I don't care for that spiral into the 3Lz that she does now

3. I actually have so many arm variations on the layback that I like, Yuna Kim 1, Yuna Kim 2, Mao Asada (especially this one because I love how her arm compliments her free leg) are some of the more recent ones but I remember Lucinda Ruh made a swan with her hands in her Black Swan program and I was blown away, she also did it on a sit spin by bringing her hands up behind her head at the end of the program.

6. I agree, I know a lot of people hate Biellmanns but I love ones that are done right and the hyperextended Biellmann looks really cool to me

7. The straight leg sit spin is called a cannonball, one of my fav names for a figure skating element, I like them too

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, this made me think ... A good thing!

1. Russian splits!:agree: if you want to show me power and flexibility, show me a Rory Flack-Toller Cranston-Jason Brown Russian split. Way more impressive than yanking the foot by or over the head, and shows more flexibility and strength, IMHO. Love 'em. :love: are there any current ladies who do Rory Flack level splits? Might have to watch.

2. Footwork. different steps over all of the ice, timed to the music, making sense of the music, and making you wonder how they do that on skates. Back to my go-to guys, Toller in Graduation Ball and Jason in Riverdance. Or Juke.

3. Scratch spins. Tim Dolensky. That is all.

4. A true Tano or Rippon lutz. Once or twice, dramatically placed for effect. Hopefully done by Boitano or Rippon.

5. The Wagon Wheel. For the youngsters, look it up:biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The only female skater I've seen who comes close to Rory's Russian Split Jump is a young Sasha Cohen. Her jump is HUGE during her SP from 2002 Olympics.

Scratch and all other spins belong to Stephane Lambiel and his Swiss Compatriot Lucinda Ruh.

Sasha's 2002 SP:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWCrlkloPA

Eclair

Medalist
This is an even better idea :) I love a lot of fs moves hahaha

These are my favorite:

Layback Spins - I love the classic position especially Sasha's

Yuna's Bent-leg Layover Camel Spin - a thing of beauty

And not really a move but I love a beautiful running edge after a jump much more than a quick transition. Just linger on that flowing edge. :)

I love Sasha's layback spins too! They still amaze me after all these years. I think what I love is mostly not a definite special move, but more ordinary moves incredibly well exucuted e.g. Sasha's Layback:love: (I wish we would see more of that nowadays), Michelle's backwards spiral, Yuna's camel and jumps, every tiny little move Guillaume Cizeron does, Yagudins step sequences, Patrick's stroking, Gordeeva/Grinkov's synchronity etc. etc.

Off-topic: I just watched Yuna's 2010 olympics EX muted beause of the link in your post and because I had music playing in the background that I was too lazy to turn off, and it's incredible how nuanced her movements were even without music :love:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have a question about Tano's. What are they worth to a skater and how long do you think it will be before we see them become just another jump. I don't know when they started but, I know Maria B used to do Half Loops between her Toe and Sal. The first time I saw her do it, I thought she had tripped. Anyway, I'm trying to say that I don't like half loops.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
1)The simple spiral. Free leg extended and controlled. Not wobbling or shaking, held for at least 30 seconds with a change of edge without dropping the free leg. To me this move is women's figure skating. It's just so breathtaking when done right.

Haha, 30 seconds? I think you meant another number. I'm pretty sure nobody has done a spiral for that long ever. ^_^

Mafke

Medalist
I have a question about Tano's. What are they worth to a skater and how long do you think it will be before we see them become just another jump. I don't know when they started

The Tano is named after Brian Boitano (US 1988 oly gold). For some reason it was easier for him to do the lutz with that hand position. It didn't get extra points (under 6.0) but it didn't hurt him either. I don't know when or how it became a "feature"

Maria B used to do Half Loops between her Toe and Sal. The first time I saw her do it, I thought she had tripped. Anyway, I'm trying to say that I don't like half loops.

That was my reaction to Midori Ito's 2az 1/2 loop 3 sal in 1988, the first time I saw it I thought it was a step out or something "Oooh, too bad, she was doing so well...." I thought. It took me a while to realize that it was intentional. I somehow think adding an extra rotation might make that combo look nicer but I don't know how feasible that is....

Warwick360

Medalist
3) Ina Bauer

Let it go. Reach back and feel the freedom. This move is one of the most expressive movements and especially when held out and the extension of it lends itself to the program. Obviously Yulia is amazing at it and one of the reasons I love her but look at Mao this year for example in her Madame Butterfly. Wow. It is so perfectly timed and executed well. What a move.

Are you sure it is Ina Bauer, and not outside Spread Eagle, what Mao did? When you mentioned she had done Ina Bauer, I was surprised since it wasn't in her repertoire in the past, and when she tried to do it in an Exhibition (I think when Shizuka was there) she almost fell on ice.

I just skimmed through the program and I don't see any Ina Bauer. Maybe I skimmed too fast but by any chance are you referring to this spread eagle? https://youtu.be/hKkXotRqfys?t=4m17s

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I like the repetition of choreography that highlights the music...

David Wilson purposefully used this idea in many of his choreos. to reflect the exact repetitions of a particular music passage (an idea musicians use very often). His vision is to create the exact unison for skating and music. Sometimes, it feels like the music comes directly from skater's blade or body :luv17:
A few examples.
SoYoun/s Rando SP,
Patrick's Chopin SP,
Patrick's Tango ex,
Yuna's Nessun Dorma ex.
And there are many more.