Figure Skating Moves That You Like | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Moves That You Like

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Since people seem to dislike half-loop combos, I'm gonna post my favourite one :biggrin: Super cool :love:
https://youtu.be/bDNgFGdrxYk?t=191

Well to be fair, Kurt's half loop(s) is completely in control, and not the fumbly stumbly types that competitive skaters do nowadays.

One of my favorite moves is Jason Brown's cross grab layback spin. Not sure if that's what the spin is called really, but I wish he'd hold that position for more revolution because it's simply breathtaking!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Haha, 30 seconds? I think you meant another number. I'm pretty sure nobody has done a spiral for that long ever. ^_^
Ok, lol maybe that is a little long.
After watching some spirals I think a skater would run out of speed after awhile .(Even Michelle looks as if she wants to keep going but alas she runs out of speed and has to stop)
I have this one clocked at 14 seconds and it seems longer than most.
https://youtu.be/hQP38OWpiJk?t=2m50s

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Here are some of my favorite things

1. Ina Bower into the 3Sal, done by Shizuka. Now, that is one of the most impressive entrance into the jump by a lady by a mile. Smooth as butter.
2. Y-spiral by Shizuka. The speed and the smoothness was extraordinary.
3. Some of the well-timed with the music spirals by Michelle and Sasha.
4. Long glide and effortless triple lutz. Those huge triple lutzes by Carolina just give me high every time.
5. Some of the steps/spread eagle into the 2As by Mao Asada
6. Yuna's 3F-3T
7. Midori Ito's jumps

gkelly

Record Breaker
Haha, 30 seconds? I think you meant another number. I'm pretty sure nobody has done a spiral for that long ever. ^_^

Ok, lol maybe that is a little long.
I have this one clocked at 14 seconds and it seems longer than most.
https://youtu.be/hQP38OWpiJk?t=2m50s

I get 18 seconds for this spiral.

Maybe that could be an element competition: who can hold a single spiral the longest. Must stay on the same edge throughout and timing starts when the free foot reaches hip height, ends when it drops below?

noskates

Record Breaker
Since people seem to dislike half-loop combos, I'm gonna post my favourite one :biggrin: Super cool :love:

Oh my. That just cost me an hour in YouTube land revisiting Kurt's performances. He always skated with such joy. There is NO ONE out there now that has his presentation and musical interpretation....from his facial expressions to the use of his arms, not to mention his speed and his jumps. He did some pretty fair splits in That's Entertainment....

I have always thought, and still do, that Michelle Kwan had the most beautiful spiral.

So many of my favorite moments in figure skating come from those skaters who are just naturally gifted.....versus those who have learned through practice. I don't know if that makes sense but it's the difference between some who has "it" and someone who learns "it!"

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker

Ok Dancers.....It's question time. "Half Loops" look like "Chaines" from dance class. is that what they are?? After watching that video of Kurt it basically looks like he's doing "Chaines" across the floor. Except on the ice. I need clarification....:think:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ok Dancers.....It's question time. "Half Loops" look like "Chaines" from dance class. is that what they are?? After watching that video of Kurt it basically looks like he's doing "Chaines" across the floor. Except on the ice. I need clarification....:think:

Hmm. I'm unfamilar with chaines, but a half loop is really closer to a full loop, except that you land on the opposite foot and on an inside edge.

noskates

Record Breaker
I was surprised that Chaines is pronounced "shaynees." That's how much I know about it. :confused2: But I thought they were fast turns on the balls of your feet.

melmel

On the Ice
The Hanyu (spreadeagle-3A/quad-spreadeagle) (yes I'm calling it the Hanyu, I don't care :p)

one-handed Bielman spins, well rounded donuts spin, flexible spins in general

3A/2A-1Lo-3S/F jump combo (and three jumps combo with the second one as a 1Lo in general. I made such a happy noise when I discovered that skaters were doing it instead of the 3-2-2)

Layback Ina Bauer

and I actually like the A-spin, especially Shoma's variation of it.

Also creative sit spins (Yuzu was the first to sell me on sit spins, and Deniss pretty much killed me with his)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought I understood that certain viewers enjoyed Max's butt spins because of, ahem, his...assets.

(Alas, not me. Sorry SnuggleBat, not even you!)

melmel

On the Ice
I thought I understood that certain viewers enjoyed Max's butt spins because of, ahem, his...assets.

(Alas, not me. Sorry SnuggleBat, not even you!)

Haha I don't like butt spins for the butts actually. I don't know, I find the position interesting and different. I was surprised to see that everyone hated it.

petitebrie

On the Ice
Mirai does the haircutter with a deeper back arch, rather than wrenching her foot up. IMO that’s a much more elegant and less forced position. In general, centered and effortless laybacks with a nice arch in the back and beautiful arm positions is a always a highlight for me. And layback Ina Bauers, where an extreme back position isn’t even needed for it to look beautiful.

But I think my favourite moves aren’t really "moves" that show off skating skills or physical ability or whatnot, but those little moments skaters take with the music; a beautiful hand or arm movement, a well-timed transition, spin positions changing with the music and with positions reflecting the appropriate intensity, etc., which adds to the choreography and helps connect the skater to the music. (I suppose it does require a certain level of skill to, in the middle of a physically demanding programme, have the presence of mind to actually listen to and feel your music.)

Sam L

Medalist
Spins: I like illusion spins.
Spirals: I like charlottes.
Jumps: I also like entries into axels from spread eagles or ina bauers. I also like the turns to entry into salchows. I think that's my favourite jump, the salchow.