Women's Olympic Gymnastics News | Golden Skate

Women's Olympic Gymnastics News

QMATTERS

Rinkside
The team competition is going to be different in Rio this different. First, USA are the heavy favorites to defend for the team gold. Second, the are two countries that have qualified as a full team for the first time at the Olympics. They are the Netherlands and Belgium. The following teams that are going to Rio are:

USA
China
Great Britain
Russia
Italy
Japan
Canada
Netherlands
Brazil
Germany
Belgium
and France

The biggest shocker not going is Romania. They competed last week to try to qualify, and finished 7th out of the eight teams trying to qualify. It will be sad to not see them since it was 40 years ago when Nadia put that country on the sports map. Marta Karolyi currently has made the USA a powerhouse team.

I will be watching this summer nevertheless.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I have been following gymnastics this season in an attempt to get somewhat knowledgeable before the Olympics (it is so much more enjoyable to watch when you know what is happening!). My knowledge is still mostly restricted to the American gymnasts because, as an American, they're the ones you can find information on the most easily (USA Gymnastics' YouTube channel streams everything in the US for free...USFSA, please take a page from that book!), but I'm trying to find some international gymnasts to follow. So far I like Tabea Alt, who does not seem to be particularly competitive, but I love her extension and lines, and her beam is great. :)

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
I wish they give gold to Komova this time. Im sorry to say this, but american gymnasts muscles can't be "only training". If you compare them to Rou, Rus, Chinese or other countries, you think it is quite strange how big their musculature is compared to gymnasts from other countries.
As for americans, i prefer Gabby to Simone

thoakun

Final Flight
I have been following gymnastics this season in an attempt to get somewhat knowledgeable before the Olympics (it is so much more enjoyable to watch when you know what is happening!). My knowledge is still mostly restricted to the American gymnasts because, as an American, they're the ones you can find information on the most easily (USA Gymnastics' YouTube channel streams everything in the US for free...USFSA, please take a page from that book!), but I'm trying to find some international gymnasts to follow. So far I like Tabea Alt, who does not seem to be particularly competitive, but I love her extension and lines, and her beam is great. :)

You made me realize that I'm just a once-every-year gymnastics fan (better than once-every-four-years but not enough to engage in conversations with the hardcore gym fans) :biggrin:. But then I'm more biased about Russian gymnasts and Chinese and Japanese ones to some extent.

Last edited: