2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In 2012 the sign for Whole Foods was up, but the store had not been built. It kind of creeped me out to walk past the empty lot with the chain link fence and the Whole Foods sign on the fence :laugh:. One thing I do remember is that California had stopped using plastic bags at stores. When I went to the CVS next the Arena Hotel I had to purchase a cloth bag or just carry the 5 or 6 items I purchased in my hands.

I'm trying to remember where the secondary arena was located. It was far enough that it would have taken a taxi or a couple of bus rides to get there. I went back and read the announcement and the secondary venue is Sharks Ice which is about 3.5 miles from the SAP Center. Here is a link to view the rink (which is bleacher seating): https://www.google.com/maps/@37.319...UHeEPSpzypIAAAQfCOFBPw!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656

When I reread the announcement I realized that it also states that juvenile-junior athletes will compete Dec. 30 - Jan.4 and championship level will compete Jan. 4-7.

Arent those hot tubs great? And you can just sit in them and self medicate. (For me, who has a big breakfast while eventing, a well stocked breakfast buffet is just what I need...no time wasted...just walk in, fill up, off to the arena to watch the gladiators. Wonder where they will stick the novices? The arena is 1200 ft from the hotel, past a whole foods market, which is really nice to have for sundries....cant remember if it has alchohol. Anyone? There is a CVS pharmacy on the other side of the hotel, and a Chipolte Mexican Eatery two blocks west.
noskates is now head of the meet and greet committee.
True story. When I checked in for 2012, the person at the desk asked me if there was an old people's convention in town....
Well,. kinda....

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Will Polina win nationals in San Jose like Rudy galindo did?????? Eerie huh?

And then she'll win bronze at worlds, imagine? Maybe she'll win bronze at the Olympiacs too, you know, just to one up her faithful choreographer. ;)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yes, the Olympic team figure skating event is happening again in 2018, if that was your first question.

The ISU document re the qualification system for 2018 Olympic figure skating was published a while back, and it includes a full discussion of the team figure skating event.
(As did the same document in 2014.)

I don't know the schedule for 2018 team figure skating, but I think you likely are correct that it once again will start before the opening ceremony.

Thanks so much! I had heard rumours a while back that the team event would be a one-time thing but the camaraderie among the team members and the atmosphere in Sochi was festive, great to hear we'll have it again in 2018!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I[/B]

I wonder if there will be a spicy boy by the name Nam cheering on Polina? Mind you I guess it depends how close Canadian nationals are. It might be awkward if Polina goes to worlds and Nam's career is finished but I guess we will see. Young love and lust can be like a reed blowing in the wind.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I[/B]

I wonder if there will be a spicy boy by the name Nam cheering on Polina? Mind you I guess it depends how close Canadian nationals are. It might be awkward if Polina goes to worlds and Nam's career is finished but I guess we will see. Young love and lust can be like a reed blowing in the wind.

IIRC, this year Canadian Nationals and US Nationals were on the same weekend.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Took the plunge and just booked a little cottage thru Airbnb for the Thurs-Sun within walking distance of the SAP Center :) Most hotels are sold out already if you can believe it, including the popular Arena hotel where most of y'all are staying. Never been to San Jose, although I've been to San Francisco.

I'll be skipping Kansas City, but I definitely want to be there for the Olympic Trials - it will be a nail biter!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IIRC, this year Canadian Nationals and US Nationals were on the same weekend.

No spicy boy i guess then. I always wondered how well thought out it was for Nam to go to San Jose to train with the Canadian dollar so low and higher living expenses and really a teenage relationship. Maybe it will inspire him to pull up his socks after last year's disaster. It is always so interesting to see boyfriends and girlfriends cheering on their significant others. It will be a battle in men's and ladies that's for sure. And what a powerhouse dance team - can you imagine if Davis and White return? Wow, USA could sweep - okay probably not as the odds are the French, Virtue and Moir or a Russian team would rise to the occasion and steal one medal. San Jose is really important to establish the no. 1 skater especially in Men's Ladies and Dance.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Most hotels are sold out already if you can believe it, including the popular Arena hotel where most of y'all are staying. !
When I tried to get into the Arena Hotel and others on line, I got the sold out song and dance, when they meant they werent booking that far out on line yet.
If you did call the Arena hotel direct, you might check if there is a waiting list as people cancel due to unforeseen circumstances....I wonder if the other hotels have been
tied up by the LOC to some extent?
Nothing wrong with an Airbnb though....except that most dont have unlimited bacon! :agree: