Skateable, Never-Before-Used Music | Golden Skate

Skateable, Never-Before-Used Music

Layback11

Record Breaker
Have you ever heard a piece of music that (to your knowledge) has never been used in a skating program before, but seems like it would work really well? I'm really curious about this. :)

This is the piece that gave me the idea for this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcihcYEOeic
It's an absolutely gorgeous piece and I think it would make a fantastic SP (probably too repetitive for a FS). Ludovico Einaudi's music is semi-well known in skating, so I'm not sure why it hasn't been used before. If you follow gymnastics, you'll probably know where I found it. ;)

Khoai

Match Penalty
The issue is what is "skatable music"? I have seen skaters use many songs and musical pieces that do not suit their choreography and movements at all. Should I call them "un-skatable"?

tinlizzie

Final Flight
Have you ever heard a piece of music that (to your knowledge) has never been used in a skating program before, but seems like it would work really well? I'm really curious about this. :)

This is the piece that gave me the idea for this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcihcYEOeic
It's an absolutely gorgeous piece and I think it would make a fantastic SP (probably too repetitive for a FS). Ludovico Einaudi's music is semi-well known in skating, so I'm not sure why it hasn't been used before. If you follow gymnastics, you'll probably know where I found it. ;)

That's a beautiful piece of music. It kind of reminds me of Jason Brown's Piano program.

Layback11

Record Breaker
The issue is what is "skatable music"? I have seen skaters use many songs and musical pieces that do not suit their choreography and movements at all. Should I call them "un-skatable"?

Sorry, should've been more specific. I meant "any song that would work well for skating." Very vague, yes, but that's what I was trying to say. :shrug:

Khoai

Match Penalty
Sorry, should've been more specific. I meant "any song that would work well for skating." Very vague, yes, but that's what I was trying to say. :shrug:
Then any song or musical piece could do. As long as the skaters like them.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Still surprised that no one has yet skated to Liberi Fatali, the epic opening to Final Fantasy VIII. Any skater that can portray exotic drama -- say, Hanyu, Davis & White, Uno, Pagorilaya -- would be perfect for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssbvokvc254

Oh, and just as a super, super, SUPER nerdy tidbit, Karina Johnson did skate to the combat music and suite for FFVIII in her short program at 2011 Worlds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1EMsYtuTAg

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
The music of Harry Potter and Star Wars for starters..there's more to John Williams than just Schindler's List you know. Also, where are the Once Upon A December programs??? Not one of my favorite films (Anastasia) but seems like a no-brainer for figure skating, no?

Then there are all the missed opportunities from games like FF (as mentioned) and Kingdom Hearts...and also some anime music from series like Full Metal Alchemist cause like eww...anime and nerd stuffs :scowl: And how the heck is there not a Howl's Moving Castle program from a notable skater yet?

chezzu

On the Ice
I think Evgenia would do well with a Harry Potter program. It would suit her lightness across the ice, and the miming would even help the program :p

yuzushenko

On the Ice
The music of Harry Potter and Star Wars for starters..there's more to John Williams than just Schindler's List you know. Also, where are the Once Upon A December programs??? Not one of my favorite films (Anastasia) but seems like a no-brainer for figure skating, no?

Then there are all the missed opportunities from games like FF (as mentioned) and Kingdom Hearts...and also some anime music from series like Full Metal Alchemist cause like eww...anime and nerd stuffs :scowl: And how the heck is there not a Howl's Moving Castle program from a notable skater yet?

there are a TON of "once upon a december" programs in the lower ranks, i pray to god we never see it in international/elite skating! sooo overdone and cheesy

and im pretty sure someone is skating to that this season (or last season). can't remember if it was a russian or one of the low-tier american ladies. (i keep thinking radionova did it...but i dont think so)

anyways, the thread is "never-before used music" and anastasia music is really overused

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Ditto on everything mentioned here before, John Williams, Japanese RPG video game and anime music, even beyond Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.
What about anything from the amazing Yasunori Mitsuda who really has done far more than that one program by Kevin Reynolds?
Dragon Quest?
Grandia?
Star Ocean?
A Hiroki Kikuta or Hitoshi Sakimoto program?
Or every single gorgeous piece by Masashi Hamauzu?
The possibilities are limitless.
And that's not even counting all the anime music.

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
there are a TON of "once upon a december" programs in the lower ranks, i pray to god we never see it in international/elite skating! sooo overdone and cheesy

and im pretty sure someone is skating to that this season (or last season). can't remember if it was a russian or one of the low-tier american ladies. (i keep thinking radionova did it...but i dont think so)

anyways, the thread is "never-before used music" and anastasia music is really overused

Oh I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing skaters people have actually heard of, not "lower-tier" randoms competing out of Middle Of Nowhere, USA. My bad, but I guess OP wasn't clear enough :rolleye:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
Oh I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing skaters people have actually heard of, not "lower-tier" randoms competing out of Middle Of Nowhere, USA. My bad, but I guess OP wasn't clear enough :rolleye:

top tier skaters have skated to it too, someone just this season skated to it (or perhaps it was last season but pretty sure it was this season). cant remember who though, it was cringey.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist

1) As some of the others I think Harry Potter would be interesting, I'm pretty surprised it is not very popular among skaters.

2) Could you tell where exactly you've found it? I follow gymnastics but not so closely, still I think I've heard this somewhere already and I'm really curious :D

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to see some programs skated to the music from "Seabiscuit" & "War Horse."

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Going to sound like a stuck record suggesting this song yet again (this must be at least the fourth or fifth time I have suggested it), but I really do think it would be perfect for skating to.

There are only LIVE performances on YouTube, so here it is on Sound Cloud:

Paul Casey - "Big World"

And, no, I don't know him. I just like the song so much.

CaroLiza_fan

liv

Record Breaker
I do believe Tara Lipinski skated to Once upon a December for her 1998 olympic short program. You could call her well known...

John Williams music... yes, please! He has done the most famous music in Hollywood, but contained within those scores are beautiful, not as famous, pieces that have not been used. Try Luke and Leia's theme for one.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I never understood why Mirai Nagasu was told the music from Avatar wouldn't be a good fit for figure skating ("it's not iconic" blah blah blah) because I've wanted somebody to use music from that movie for years.

Last edited:

LKGwennire

On the Ice
Country
Brazil
The music of Harry Potter and Star Wars for starters..there's more to John Williams than just Schindler's List you know.
Satoko's skating to Star Wars this season, and it's really, really good music. Suited her well and added to a beautiful program.