Music suggestions for 2022-23 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Music suggestions for 2022-23

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to seem more skates to video game soundtracks. We had at least four Gladiator programs this season, Schindler's List, Star Wars; other skaters select more obscure movie soundtracks but for some reason I don't think I have seen many game soundtrack programs, ever.

I would love to see someone skate to something from Final Fantasy...doesn't really matter which one, 1 to 10 all have fantastic soundtracks, although Aerith's theme or One Winged Angel from 7 would be great. Or Waltz for the Moon from 8 for ID...Or anything from Witcher 3.
Jimmy Ma would be great.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
McCoy Tyner jazz piano

When Sunny Gets Blue

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Sweet Jezebel - Mean Mary

This would suit ice dancers but would take a bit of doing.. I can see it for Hubbell/Donahue.. they have the high skill and maturity to pull it off.. would be smashing in a show!

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I would like to seem more skates to video game soundtracks. We had at least four Gladiator programs this season, Schindler's List, Star Wars; other skaters select more obscure movie soundtracks but for some reason I don't think I have seen many game soundtrack programs, ever.

I would love to see someone skate to something from Final Fantasy...doesn't really matter which one, 1 to 10 all have fantastic soundtracks, although Aerith's theme or One Winged Angel from 7 would be great. Or Waltz for the Moon from 8 for ID...Or anything from Witcher 3.
There is music and there are skaters who love gaming. All that we need is someone who would put these together and start a trend :)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
*More skaters should use the version of the Queen song Love of My Life that Nina petrokina used this season! It's great for skating, it builds so well.
* The Mummy Returns soundtrack
*War and Peace main title by Jan A.P. Kaczmerek
*Rebirth by Hi-Finesse [bradie tennell used this music before but that shouldn't stop anyone from taking a stab at this epic-sounding music]

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having watched the brilliant Arcade Fire set at Coachella, will someone please skate to My Body is a Cage? Their version or Peter Gabriel's.
Lambiel skated to it a decade ago in shows so not far fetched.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Two very famous pieces of music I would be interested to hear in figure skating are:

Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee," which is about a young tsarevich who's been magically transformed into a bumblebee and smuggled onto a ship so he could meet his father, the tsar, for the first time; I think this would be a great musical choice for a young/junior skater's SP, most obviously a boy, though I'd be even more interested in seeing a girl's take on it. Someone like Petr Gumennik or Sena Miyake, who have both worn very princely costumes in the past, would have a field day with the sartorial prompt: a little tsarevich in black and gold! It would be a physically demanding musical piece, for obvious reasons, so he skater has to be someone with very good skating skills, in addition to the youthfulness required by the premise.

Camille Saint-Saëns's "La Danse Macabre." Again, the premise behind the piece lends itself well to figure skating IMO. You can easily put together a character-driven FS about Death leading the dead in a merry dance if you're not afraid to get theatrical and spooky with it. And the costume could be amazing.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Camille Saint-Saëns's "La Danse Macabre." Again, the premise behind the piece lends itself well to figure skating IMO. You can easily put together a character-driven FS about Death leading the dead in a merry dance if you're not afraid to get theatrical and spooky with it. And the costume could be amazing.
It's been done multiple times. Most noted: Cappellini and Lanotte: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsTGQMLqg1g

lappo

Final Flight

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It would be interesting to see Isabeau Levito do something like Winter by Vivaldi. It is a fast and energetic song, and the music has its change of tone throughout it (or whatever you may call it) as it tones down for some time, and then builds up throughout the piece. It would be another great way to show her nice, beautiful, and balletic feel for the music, but also for some work on speed throughout her program. She is progressing very well, and I am really impressed by her skating as this season comes to a close. Just thought it would be a nice idea that goes in the realm of her skating, and could show some great energy and maturity as she develops into a Senior skater.

farornaskonung

Rinkside
Looking at how well the music from the Lion King have been used this season without a tacky result, I think there is potential for a program to the soundtrack from Tarzan with similar result. It is too good to not use! I know there have been exhibitions using the music, but I think it could be suitable for competitive programs too. Just have the costume designer get inspired by something else than loincloths and it could be truly magnificent!
I vote for the non-radio version of Two Worlds :)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Reviving this thread ;) early to point out that the Interview with the Vampire TV soundtrack is now available to stream and there are some excellent tracks I'd love to see used in skating in upcoming seasons. As you may have guessed from my current avatar, I'm a fan :biggrin: Dance or pairs team as Louis & Claudia, or Lestat & Claudia? Singles skaters as Lestat, Louis or Claudia?

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Good to see this thread back. I used to look it up for interesting pieces for my playlist 😁

Shouldn't it be renamed as 2023-24 music suggestions though?... In either case, I'd prefer this thread to continue rather than having a completely new thread instead. It is interesting to browse what has been suggested already. And many suggestions remain still unused so they can be delegated to the following season, right? :biggrin:

FaustinaF

Rinkside
Hi! I think Anna K. you're completly right 😉
I really enjoyed many of the musical choices of the past year! And I always have a lot of music in my mind to use for skating!... But there is one I really liked because it reminds me Evgenia Medvedeva's Anna Karenina style someway. It is a music from the Polish movie "Trędowata" and its famous waltz has been used years ago in skating programs. This is a song based on one of Polish poet Mickiewicz's poem. It would be nice to see a skating program with this music or a part of it!
here It Is:
And then there is another really nice, from the same movie:

What do you think? 😁