Who has the best chemistry in Ice Dance? | Golden Skate

Who has the best chemistry in Ice Dance?

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
With the discipline becoming more and more competitive, it's really interesting to see which dance teams are able to have the perfect combination of great technical ability and wonderful emotional depth. Personally, I would say Virtue/Moir and Hubbell/Donohue have the most organic and natural chemistry. Having said that, I know people have their own preferences and there are so many more ice dance teams out there that have great connection... So, feel free to share your opinions! ❤️

Last edited:

olayolay

On the Ice
I agree with Virtue/Moir and Hubbell/Donohue, but I also think both teams need to be careful because sometimes if they try too hard, it can come off forced. For example, Tessa/Scott in their Seasons FD or Madi and Zach in certain performances of their FD this year. They should work on bringing out more shades in their chemistry, instead of just trying to make it "bigger".

maddiesparks

Rinkside
If I had to pick just one couple, it would be Tessa and Scott. They've always had great, natural chemistry... whether that translated itself into something sexy and dynamic like Carmen, or sweeping and romantic like Mahler, or cute and quirky like Funny Face. I think their versatility as a team is one of their strongest assets.

Honorable mention goes to Papadakis/Cizeron. They chemistry to me is more artistic (as opposed to, say, romantic), yet remains just as captivating. They move together as one, with an ease and tranquil that just looks dreamy. Their aesthetic is very cohesive, too. They just fit.

Manitou

Medalist
I really like the connection between Weaver and Poje. They may not medal at OG, but I still love to watch them dance. They need and complement each other. They are one unit.
I also love the way Cizeron reaches to Gabriela Papadakis. He is a true artist. A true artistry is a connection between the artist and the viewer. And the way Guillaume connects with Gabriela transmits to the connection between them and me.
I also think there is a growing relationship between Sinitsina and Katsalapov and it shows more and more in their dance.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
I really like the connection between Weaver and Poje. They may not medal at OG, but I still love to watch them dance. They need and complement each other. They are one unit. I also think there is a growing relationship between Sinitsina and Katsalapov and it shows more and more in their dance.

I love watching Weaver and Poje too! As far as S/K goes, I might get a lot of hate for saying this but I liked Ilinykh and Katsalapov better. S/K are aesthetically pleasing, but other than that, I don't see any potential, to be completely honest...😁

Manitou

Medalist
I love watching Weaver and Poje too! As far as S/K goes, I might get a lot of hate for saying this but I liked Ilinykh and Katsalapov better. S/K are aesthetically pleasing, but other than that, I don't see any potential, to be completely honest...😁

I used to like Elena when she was with Nikita, but now she is just completely off for me. She appears to be disconnected, self-centered and sloppy, rather than trying to connect with Ruslan. I kind of wrote that team off.

P.S. I forgot to mention one team, which is very quickly growing on me, mostly for their apparent chemistry: Hawayek/Baker. I am really looking forward to watch them develop.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
again, for me it's all about how we look at it...

As for so-called 'romantic' chemistry, I'd say that Tessa and Scott, Madison and Zach and Kaitlyn and Andrew are the best for me. It's this intimacy, deep connection and interaction between them that seems so natural and organic. This chemistry is visible not only in gestures, it's far beyond that - it is in holds, in the way of partnering, in the way they care about each other while performing, the way they look at each other. Of course, there are some cases of other duos where I felt this kind of chemistry too, but in these 3 duos I feel it every time, regardless of their program/music chosen. Watching them - apart of levels, technical specifics, if I like the program or not - I see that spark, being complimentary to themselves, making that impact, interaction that transfers onto audience, and it feels real, authentic, believable. It really helps to understand and relate to stuff presented I'd say.

Another thing is to have/feel a great, non-romantic kind of chemistry - the relationship equally strong, but based more on mutual commitment and understanding of each other on and off ice. I feel it like being a kind of continuation of one another on ice, having a strong and defined connection which elevates presentation and interpretation. For me, Maia and Alex and Anna and Luca have this kind of great chemistry between them - there is this natural feel about their relationship, their presence on ice, that flow of skating and expressing. In my opinion they are able to achieve being equal and elevate one another at the same time, because their experience, so many years of being together really enables them to show off the best of the partner. Due to this chemistry, I feel a deeper understanding and connection to them, to their skating.

There is also a case of very explosive chemistry which was Elena and Nikita partnership - it was for me definitely on 'romantic' chemistry side, but much more intensive, unpredictable. There was this sense of battle of their personalities, two strong characters, very dominative presence of both and it worked wonders in dramatic programs, hence so much success of 'Swan Lake' FD. I've always felt agitated watching them, waiting for something to happen, it was this sense of unbalanced relationship, non-compromising, so very strong to the point of being destructive I feel. Saying that, they always caught my attention by that tension, despite of their mostly crappy programs, the chemistry was definitely there, just maybe too strong one and wrongly channelled.

A duo to watch in terms of chemistry is for me Piper and Paul - they seem to be very comfortable with each other and I see this spark between them of commitment, unity, passion for skating, for performing. They are getting more and more complimentary each season and expressive. Their connection - not only with stuff presented, music, costumes etc. - but also between them is really believable for me. This year's tango FD is their best work in terms of chemistry, no doubt, they keep me at the edge of my seat every time, it's the way they look at each other, the way they move, it creates so much intimacy.

Overall, I'd say that Tessa and Scott chemistry is my favourite, because it reaches far beyond particular program, move or gesture they do - it is that mature understanding of each other, carrying manner about them, the way they present each other, the specific intimate 'aura' they create while stepping on ice. They are exceptional performers and adding that flow in their relationship, sass and interaction it makes always a pleasure to watch them, it makes it exciting, entertaining and authentic - regardless of program, make-up, costume they really connect with each other deeper I feel.

madison

Record Breaker
For me, something magic that attracts, and this goes beyond how they look together on ice, had Ilinykh/Katsalapov (fire and ice, tension and sexual attraction) and now Papadakis/Cizeron (perfect harmony between them and with the music).

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I agree with most of the posts so far except of Sinitsina / Katsalapov. And, yes I know they're a couple off the ice.

I would add Pogrebinsky / Benoit and Agafanova / Ucar to that list.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
There is also a case of very explosive chemistry which was Elena and Nikita partnership - it was for me definitely on 'romantic' chemistry side, but much more intensive, unpredictable. There was this sense of battle of their personalities, two strong characters, very dominative presence of both and it worked wonders in dramatic programs, hence so much success of 'Swan Lake' FD.
Overall, I'd say that Tessa and Scott chemistry is my favourite, because it reaches far beyond particular program, move or gesture they do - it is that mature understanding of each other, carrying manner about them, the way they present each other, the specific intimate 'aura' they create while stepping on ice. They are exceptional performers and adding that flow in their relationship, sass and interaction it makes always a pleasure to watch them, it makes it exciting, entertaining and authentic - regardless of program, make-up, costume they really connect with each other deeper I feel.

Elena and Nikita definitely had an explosive chemistry. As a viewer and as a fan of the sport, I was devastated when I heard about the split. It's actually sad what's happening to them right now...😁 Not doing well with their current partners after winning Olympic medals with each other. Everytime I watch their Swan Lake FD, I see so much potential in them, but what happened, happened. As for Tessa and Scott, I agree with you. I think that their chemistry right now is a result of this genuinely deep partnership that they have... After almost 20 years of skating together, it's safe to say that there is love between these two and they are very pleasing to watch.

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
I think "romantic" on-ice chemistry is overrated. Too often teams rely on that instead of actually giving a meaning to their programs. Look at Kaitlin and Andrew for example: after the success of "Je suis Malade" and "Yo soy Maria" they have had an endless amount of programs that make little sense and only showcase their "chemistry", while programs like "42 street" and "The sound of music" still show their great connection but are also 1. less generic 2.more suitable to show their personalities 3.still make their connection shine through without being thrown in your face for no reason.
Zach and Madi are another example: last season I think they struggled to make their FD work, but in the end it was probably their best program ever so OF COURSE instead of continuing on that path, this year they are doing a supposedly sexy hip-hop SD that is a hot mess, and the most boring schmaltzy FD ever, which is continuing this trend of not taking risks and not even making any effort to try something different.
Even Tessa and Scott have often stagnated because it was easy to just take the romantic route: some of their lovey dovey programs are gorgeous Mahler, Umbrellas of Cherbourg), but some were totally uninspired and done due to lack of better ideas (Seasons, Funny face, The waltz goes on). Programs like this year's SD or their Pink Floyd FD are just so much more organic: you can see a concept and a choreography to match plus their chemistry, and that takes their performances on a different level.
I think the connection and complicity between the partners is an important aspect of their skating, I only wish it wasn't the centre of the performance all the time. I love the way Anna and Luca or Piper and Paul act and interact on the ice, and the supportive "we are family" vibe that the Shibs and the Parsons can bring, as much as the insane chemistry the Tessa and Scott of this world can have.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
I think "romantic" on-ice chemistry is overrated. Too often teams rely on that instead of actually giving a meaning to their programs. Look at Kaitlin and Andrew for example: after the success of "Je suis Malade" and "Yo soy Maria" they have had an endless amount of programs that make little sense and only showcase their "chemistry", while programs like "42 street" and "The sound of music" still show their great connection but are also 1. less generic 2.more suitable to show their personalities 3.still make their connection shine through without being thrown in your face for no reason.
Even Tessa and Scott have often stagnated because it was easy to just take the romantic route: some of their lovey dovey programs are gorgeous Mahler, Umbrellas of Cherbourg), but some were totally uninspired and done due to lack of better ideas (Seasons, Funny face, The waltz goes on). Programs like this year's SD or their Pink Floyd FD are just so much more organic: you can see a concept and a choreography to match plus their chemistry, and that takes their performances on a different level.
I think the connection and complicity between the partners is an important aspect of their skating, I only wish it wasn't the centre of the performance all the time. I love the way Anna and Luca or Piper and Paul act and interact on the ice, and the supportive "we are family" vibe that the Shibs and the Parsons can bring, as much as the insane chemistry the Tessa and Scott of this world can have.

I think different people look at things differently. I, for one, am a huge fan of H/D and V/M's romantic lyrical programs. Their FDs this season really accentuate their chemistry. If we're talking about non-romantic chemistry, I would say Anna and Luca have great chemistry.

Last edited:
The Shibs. Being a brother and sister team, they genuinely love each other and do not have to play-act.

Alex always seems like he's saying, "This is my sister! Just look at her!!!"