Performances worthy of 10 in components | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Performances worthy of 10 in components

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
waaaa.. nobody mentioned Patrick's TEB 2013 : both Elegy and Vivaldi were stunning in all aspects... not only PCS but TES as well...
:points:

Heero Yui

Rinkside
Tatsuki Machida's 2014 Worlds SP
Daisuke Takahashi's 2008 4CC SP

and my all-time favorite... Shizuka Arakawa's 2004 Worlds LP!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao's 2014 worlds SP (just the perfection )
Yuna' s danse macabre at worlds (choregraphy and performance)
Yuzuru's ballade at GPF (this program has everything )
Daisuke Takahashi's in the garden of souls (this program is a lesson in interpretation)
Akiko Suzuki's O (chorégraphy and interpretation)
Carolina Kostner's Awe Maria (just a beauty)
Marin Honda's FS at junior worlds (performance)
Shoma Uno's FS this season (chorégraphy)

Warwick360

Medalist
For me, nothing stands out more than Yuna's Danse Macabre as that moment when everything falls in place and you're witnessing a moment of magic. There is nothing I could find fault with that program. To quote Eurosport guys "If we were in the old scoring system, it'd be rows of 6s". But in the new (inflated) scoring system, definitely a worthy 10.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown's Riverdance at Nationals. I think most of you know me well enough to know that I am not a Jason uber at all, but other than reasons of reputation/TES cannot see how that program doesn't deserve a 10 in performance.

And what about 6.0 programs you would give a 10 in P/E? Shen/Zhou Turandot!

I would give a 10 to programs that received a 6.0--and some that should have. I can't remember if S&Z's did. It should have.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I honestly never thought of programs that deserve a 10, so I was surprised when there were more than I expected on my list. Here they are:

Yuzuru Hanyu's "Ballade No. 1":
One word: WOW :bow: Smart music choice, insanely good transitions, nice choreography (maybe except for the random arms on the 3A but whatever), and he sold it so well every time. Piano music (and some classical music in general) is actually very difficult to create choreography with because they usually don't have a particular story - especially if the title itself doesn't help anything. So it's up to the skater and choreographer to somehow interpret the program even without a story. And this is one of the times when that was done perfectly.

Mao Asada's "Nocturne No. 2":
Easily one of the best programs ever. I liked her 2006-2007 one, but the 2013-2014 was a masterpiece - no doubt about it. Again, you can't think of choreography easily with piano music, but the choreography here perfectly matches the music. My favourite parts are the 3F and the step sequence. :love:

Yuna Kim's "Danse Macabre":
I think this is Yuna's best program ever. The choreography was brilliant, and her great speed went along well with the music. Along with the one above, I say this one also deserves a spot on the best programs list.

Carolina Kostner's "Ave Maria":
No words needed for this heavenly program. I'll just leave here that my favourite parts are all of the glides and step sequence. The rest is obvious! :thumbsup:

Shoma Uno's "Buenos Aires Hora Cero" (I think that's the name?):
This is my favourite program this season. Now, being a fan of Shoma, that may have affected how his program made this list...:biggrin: But in all seriousness, this program is simply amazing. While I don't like the music in the second half, you can't deny that the choreography really does go well with the music. And the beginning is just amazing (the foot stomp right after the initial pose :love:).

However there is one program that, for me, narrowly beats all the ones that I listed above. yume has already mentioned this one a few posts above, and it is...

Akiko Suzuki's "O":
It saddens me that Akiko never received the credit she deserved. Mao, Carolina, and Yuna were the top 3 in terms of PCS at her time, but I say Akiko deserved to be in that group as well.

This program is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. The stellar interpretation of a bird, the combination spin matching the breeze noise in the music, the step sequence, the choreo sequence, the flow of the program...everything just fits so well like a puzzle. I will never forgive the fact that the highest PCS this ever received was ONLY A 67.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How about Yuna's 2007 Worlds SP to Roxanne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh-850kqJoE

I also agree with Randomfan

Akiko Suzuki's "O":
It saddens me that Akiko never received the credit she deserved. Mao, Carolina, and Yuna were the top 3 in terms of PCS at her time, but I say Akiko deserved to be in that group as well.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Satoko Miyahara's Miss Saigon and The Planets are worth 10s for choreography for me. And a 10 in performance at the 2016 Grand Prix Final.

TheCzar

On the Ice
How about Yuna's 2007 Worlds SP to Roxanne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh-850kqJoE

I also agree with Randomfan

Akiko Suzuki's "O":

You know, I always liked the program itself, and I think I would have watched it more. I just couldn't stand the music cut. Can't be helped I suppose. If she skated to it with the lyrics and the cuts were better, I would put it up there.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Dai's In The Garden of Souls in NHK
Yuna's Send In The Clowns in Sochi
Patrick's Elegy in TEB
Yuzuru's Seimei in Barcelona
Carolina's Ave Maria in Saitama
Mao's Chopin 2.0 in Saitama
Javi's Malaguena 1.0 in Boston
Sui/Han's Spanish Romance in Boston
Stol/Klim's Man and Shadow in Barcelona
Kav/Smir's Manfred Symphony in COC

narcissa

Record Breaker
Yuzuru has received a 10 in Performance/Execution for his Chopin SP in GPF 2015.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gpf1516/gpf1516_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

It's probably the one category where it's easiest to justify a 10 given a perfectly clean performance.

I will never understand why this program DOESN'T deserve a 10 in Choreography/PE/Interpretation :biggrin: I've never seen a program in which the skater BECOMES the music as much as Yuzuru does. Definitely his most underrated program.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
For me, nothing stands out more than Yuna's Danse Macabre as that moment when everything falls in place and you're witnessing a moment of magic. There is nothing I could find fault with that program. To quote Eurosport guys "If we were in the old scoring system, it'd be rows of 6s". But in the new (inflated) scoring system, definitely a worthy 10.
I agree with you so much. To continue what Chris Howarth said it is 'a masterpiece of a program, performed exquisitely'. And after her score came out 'that's a row of 6s'. :) Danse Macabre and Send in the Clowns are my favourite Yuna short programs which deserve row of 10s in presentation.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I agree with you so much. To continue what Chris Howarth said it is 'a masterpiece of a program, performed exquisitely'. And after her score came out 'that's a row of 6s'. :) Danse Macabre and Send in the Clowns are my favourite Yuna short programs which deserve row of 10s in presentation.

One have too keep in my mind that back in 00s in early COP times judges were much more stingy with their marks. For your information Sasha Cohen in Torino Olympics 2006 stunning SP barely reached 8.00 in two components (IN 8.07 & PE 8.00) - total PCS 31.40.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Tatsuki Machida's 2014 Worlds SP
Daisuke Takahashi's 2008 4CC SP

and my all-time favorite... Shizuka Arakawa's 2004 Worlds LP!

Shizuka Arakawa's 2004 Worlds LP was still judged in 6.0 system even though COP was in place in GP.