2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes skating is expensive in general: Lori Nichol for example was charging around 15,000.00 for a LP last I knew.

If she charged Max even half that much for that junk Carmen FS he should have asked for a refund...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Does anyone have a handy link to the Google sheet with all the programs from this coming season? I've forgotten to bookmark it and would appreciate it.

Edit: Found it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone have a handy link to the Google sheet with all the programs from this coming season? I've forgotten to bookmark it and would appreciate it.

Edit: Found it.

The programs are also listed on the first few posts of this thread. It's up to date.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
:laugh2:

How could you forget Poto?? :laugh:

edit: oops, found it ...:slink:

I would never forget POTO! Never.

I've been suggested to add Danse Macabre and/or Masquerade. Agreed? This would give us at least one more current Bingo stamp. :biggrin: What could I replace for one or both of them? Puccini, maybe.

Ender

Match Penalty
If she charged Max even half that much for that junk Carmen FS he should have asked for a refund...
No, payment is decided by the time the choreographer works with the skater. If Aaron only got choreography in several hours or one day, there would be no way he would have to pay several thousands.
Richer skaters can pay more ice time and more choreography time to refine their movements. But mostly it depends on the time the choreographer stays on the ice for the skater.

Eclair

Medalist
I would never forget POTO! Never.

I've been suggested to add Danse Macabre and/or Masquerade. Agreed? This would give us at least one more current Bingo stamp. :biggrin: What could I replace for one or both of them? Puccini, maybe.

I'd like to suggest 'Feeling good' (or simply a Michael Bublé category would to it, too) or Papa can you hear me or Miss Saigon ;) :biggrin: Technically Papa can you hear me may not be a 'real' warhorse, but it's definitely one of the most overused music and I have never ever seen a great program to it... I don't understand why skaters use it again and again.... :confused:

As of now, I'm honestly looking forward to see Zijun's East of Eden and Wakaba's Skyfall, as well as Ashley's La La Land and Bradie Tennell's 'Taegukgi'. I have no idea what that music is about, but I applaud her for this original choice.
As much as I like Kaetlyn's skating, I just can't motivate myself to look forward to flappy swan movements. And even though Evgenia has potential, I expect her LP next season to be literally exactly the same as this and last season, just to different music. All the other programs, I've already seen or feel like I've already seen them .. :hopelessness:

Btw I'm still waiting for all the Kpop programs to be announced! Radionova, Kovtun, Misha? :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, payment is decided by the time the choreographer works with the skater. If Aaron only got choreography in several hours or one day, there would be no way he would have to pay several thousands.
Richer skaters can pay more ice time and more choreography time to refine their movements. But mostly it depends on the time the choreographer stays on the ice for the skater.

This isn't always true.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Radionova brought back her last seasons sp and I'm wondering about her fs.
On her interview with golden skate, she says that she is going to change her fs music a little bit. She is used to having emotional music

Ender

Match Penalty
This isn't always true.
That's what I have always seen here.
Anyway, I don't think most skaters are willing to pay like 10.000 USD for choreography in a package like some people have claimed. Logical, if you were them, would you pay?
Paying by the hours on ice is still more reasonable.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's what I have always seen here.
Anyway, I don't think most skaters are willing to pay like 10.000 USD for choreography in a package like some people have claimed. Logical, if you were them, would you pay?
Paying by the hours on ice is still more reasonable.

Well, what you've seen there is not the case most of the time in a majority of the skating world. When one is elite, you do what you have to do, so yes I've had to pay several thousands of dollars multiple times for some of the best choreography, that's how it works. YMMV.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'm sure individual choreographers do all sorts of different things with different skaters. X Skater will only be in town for a few days, so they pay $10,000 straight up for an LP to be worked on by the choreographer for those few days. Y Skater trains all season at the rink with the choreographer, so they pay $50 an hour over the course of months. Z Skater only has $2000 but desperately wants a program from this choreographer, so they negotiate and Z Skater get visibly less expensive choreography. B Skater only has $2000 but the choreographer absolutely adores working with them so they get great choreography for that price.

(I'm just making those numbers up - have no idea what is typical).

Then there are arrangements like Lori Nichol has with China. Is the Chinese federation paying $15,000 for Sui/Han's programs and then paying $15,000 for Li Zijun's programs too? I doubt it. I'm sure they have some sort of arrangement where Lori gets a lump sum of some kind and then skaters are prioritized based on who Chinese fed cares about most.

Choreographers are freelancers who can do whatever they want regarding payment.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Flappy movements in Kaetlyn's FS? But who's seen all of it? I didn't see any flaps in the video... :slink:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was Moris' the original?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9pYDu9_RXs

(The second part of the program.) At least a) it's a bloke, and b) doesn't sound romantic.:)

Verrry interesting; thx for posting.

Moris is not skating to Screamin' Jay, but he is skating to someone who is adopting the intent and mood and phrasing of the original, which as you point out, is not romantic. Good for Moris!:clap:

Like the version Moris uses, Screamin' Jay wants to actually put a spell on you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwXai-sgM-s

The version of 16 Tons Moris uses is not Tennessee Ernie Ford either, but I think Tennessee Ernie had the hit, and someone else had the original. So I'll forgive him.;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Word of the street that Takahito Mura skated to his short program to Alex Clare's Too Close during a recent show. https://youtu.be/zP50Ewh31E4

Very good choice for him. Modern and powerful, should suit his staking style nicely! Also a welcome reprieves from all the warhorses of team Japan.

There should be a video for all of us to watch soon!

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This is great. Still, while I do understand why you added flamenco and Rachmaninoff, technically neither all flamenco music, nor every piece by Rachmaninoff can't be a warhorse in itself. It has to be specific flamenco music that has been used a lot or a specific Rachmaninoff piece, also used a lot, as there is a lot of flamenco music and a lot of pieces that Rachmaninoff composed. Theoretically, someone could choose a not so well known flamenco piece that has not been used in figure skating before, or a previously unused or little used Rachmaninoff piece. And then we would not be able to truly say that it's a warhorse, as flamenco music is just one of the music genres, just like pop, rock, blues, jazz or classical music (in a wider sense), and not all Rachmaninoff is the same. But, again, I understand why you did what you did here. A lot of skaters use flamenco music, and, I suppose, to many people it does sound all the same or at least very similar, and usually it makes for programs that are very similar in style + often those skaters/ their choreographers/coaches choose several flamenco pieces for their program, so it's difficult to say which particular piece is the main flamenco warhorse. As for Rachmaninoff, unfortunately there are just a couple of pieces that skaters usually use, but to name "all" two or three of them would take up too space.