Another blade question | Golden Skate

Another blade question

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think my current skates are 8-10 years old. It's time to replace them.

When I bought those skates I was focusing on freestyle, consistently doing single jumps up to flip and hoping to attempt axels again. I'm a heavier adult, so I got strong boots and blades.

Now, because of aging and injuries, I don't do freestyle any more. I'm working on dances from the US pre-silver dance test and some of the moves from pre-juvenile through intermediate MITF tests, and I do entertainment programs with whatever footwork/gliding/simple spinning skills I can still do well or improve.

I've ordered new boots a step down in stiffness from what I had before.

So what kind of blades should I get? I think shorter blades would help with cross-behinds and outside mohawks for the ice dancing. But I'm afraid that dance blades would be too short for me to feel comfortable with other moves, especially backward three turns.

My dance coach has suggested synchro blades.

Any suggestions?

treesprite

Final Flight
If you want to at least try dance blades and can fit a blade size 9 1/3, I have a pair I don't use which I could loan to you for a good while. The model is no longer made, but I'm assuming they are pretty much the same as MK Dance, since they are an MK brand dance blade.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think my current skates are 8-10 years old. It's time to replace them.

When I bought those skates I was focusing on freestyle, consistently doing single jumps up to flip and hoping to attempt axels again. I'm a heavier adult, so I got strong boots and blades.

Now, because of aging and injuries, I don't do freestyle any more. I'm working on dances from the US pre-silver dance test and some of the moves from pre-juvenile through intermediate MITF tests, and I do entertainment programs with whatever footwork/gliding/simple spinning skills I can still do well or improve.

I've ordered new boots a step down in stiffness from what I had before.

So what kind of blades should I get? I think shorter blades would help with cross-behinds and outside mohawks for the ice dancing. But I'm afraid that dance blades would be too short for me to feel comfortable with other moves, especially backward three turns.

My dance coach has suggested synchro blades.

Any suggestions?

With a synchro blade it's something like the Ultima Finesse blade, you're getting an 8' rocker on that compared to all the dance blades that have the 7' rocker and it still has a profile that accommodates jumps (if you'd still like to do those) and has the short heel you're looking for. Dance blades (MK dance, Wilson Coronation Dance, Ultima Dance, and Eclipse Dance) all have the 7' rocker and won't accommodate the tricks/jumps you'd like to do in shows and might be too short for you (as you've contemplated).

For what you have stated I would go with the synchro blade or at least try out a lower dance blade and see if you like it. Good luck! :)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just some general comments:

Back in the day I used to have a pair of skates for freestyle and a pair for ice dancing. If you're used to freestyle blades be careful if you switch to dance blades with that shorter back.
Yes, it will be easier to get those tighter mohawks, cross-behinds and other tight dance moves. But it's very easy to fall backwards because the rest of the blade that you're used to having isn't there. Then you're arms start flailing as you try to correct yourself as to not flyover backwards.

Consider keeping your old pair for moves and general skating, and use the new boots / blades combo for dancing.

jf12

Final Flight
Depending on what model it is, I don't think synchro blades generally have a longer tail than dance blades. I believe the difference is mainly that the toepicks are a little more pronounced.

I started doing the dances this year and I'm working on the similar ones as you - since I mainly do freestyle I've been doing them in freestyle boots and blades. I don't have an issue with the outside mohawks or anything, but if you're stepping on your blades that is certainly a reason to get shorter blades. You would probably get used to the shorter tail in the back 3's, while a stepping blades problem seems more of a concern.