Ondrej Nepela Memorial | Golden Skate

Ondrej Nepela Memorial

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
merrywidow said:
I believe that Tristan Cousins is Robin's nephew.

He is indeed. And Robin does his choreography as well. Hopefully we'll get to see him compete on this side of the pond at some point.

What kind of a competition is this? It is sanctioned by the ISU? Is it kind of a memorial in the form of a cheesefest? Oh, I have so many questions.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What kind of a competition is this? It is sanctioned by the ISU? Is it kind of a memorial in the form of a cheesefest? Oh, I have so many questions.

Joe

This is an ISU-sanctioned competition, a minor event on par with the Finlandia Trophy or the Vienna Cup. It's been contested for at least the last several years; my archives on it go back to at least 1996. One reason you may never have heard of it is because the US doesn't often send a team to compete in it. As for it being a cheesefest -- I'd have to know what your criteria for a cheesefest is in order to properly answer THAT one. I personally would not consider it to be a cheesefest, based on MY criteria for one.

JonnyCoop - Thanks for the information on this competition. I was not familiar with it. I'm not familiar with the vienna cup either. However, the Finlandia, and the Nebelhorn are really important events. Sasha Cohen and Johnny Weir come out of Finlandia.

As to cheesefests, I don't know the origin. I just assumed it was an American thing to let the skaters try out their new costumes, choreography, etc. be fore the more serious competitions come into being. The last one, is just to wind up the season.

I'm beginning to think less of the GPevents. There are not too many entries, and the skaters are really more interested in qualifying at their own Nats and winning the Worlds. JMO.

I would suggest that the GPs become a little bigger and let in more 2nd tier skaters who could definitely benefit from them.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I'm not familiar with the vienna cup either. However, the Finlandia, and the Nebelhorn are really important events. Sasha Cohen and Johnny Weir come out of Finlandia.

Joe

Fun Fact:

Sarah Hughes has won only 3 international competitions -- the 2002 Olympics, 2001 Skate Canada -- and the Vienna Cup in 1999 (over Krisztina Csako and Julia Sebestyen).

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What kind of a competition is this? ... Is it kind of a memorial in the form of a cheesefest?

Actually, I think it's a CHEESEFEST in the form of a MEMORIAL. :D :laugh: :D :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Actually, I think it's a CHEESEFEST in the form of a MEMORIAL. :D :laugh: :D :laugh:

I don't think the field here was prestigous enough to qualify as a cheesefest. I would actually put this more under the category of a "rinky-dink"..... :laugh: :laugh:

However, I happen to like "rinky-dinks"; competitions like this offer good medalling and placement opportunities for up-and-comers and lesser-knowns who don't often get a chance in more competitive fields.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Contests like these were what Rudy Galindo called in his autobiography "tier-2". During his bad years, he said he could only dream of being sent to one of these tier-2 events...he went to Nepela before, when it was known as the Prague Skate...before Czech Rep and Slovakia separated.

JonnyCoop said:
However, I happen to like "rinky-dinks"; competitions like this offer good medalling and placement opportunities for up-and-comers and lesser-knowns who don't often get a chance in more competitive fields.

ITA, JohnnyCoop. Not that I object to longevity but with Kwan, Slutskaya, Plush, Weiss, Honda, S&Z, and even Sasha now hanging around, it is nice to see some new faces somewhere in the skating world. These rinkydinks are a good thing and if a skating cable ever comes into existence, I will be watching.

Joe