Lessons/Practices 3/10 - 3/18 | Golden Skate

Lessons/Practices 3/10 - 3/18

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Yesterday I finally had a lesson with my new instructor. I am really going to like her. We are going to concentrate on the pre-bronze moves in the field test. So we are working on basics, stroking,cross overs, edges.

icer

Rinkside
I am just skating once a week now, and not for very long each time (have to race back to work). I've been completely off the ice for a long time, so have lots of remedial work to do. Today was the day, and the best part about it was that just as I was about to leave, some people left the ice so there was room to move FAST. Not pretty, but FAST. And THAT was fun!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I'm off ice for the next week for some badly needed R and R, but with all the job craziness of the last few months, skating has helped me start to feel like "me" again.

I skated in one of our local team ISI competitions yesterday. . I was against in the book in most events--heck, I was the only adult skater!!!!!---but for the first time in about 3 years, skated with minimal nerves and had a great time. I've been taking ice dancing lessons with a great coach to improve my basic skating, and I just love it. I was proud to solo skate the Canasta Tango yesterday against a good buddy who is 15 years old (competing against each other agreed upon by both of us). We have the same coach, and she has been doing dance longer than me and skates freestyle 3 levels above me, but I skated it clean and had a great time. She also did the Cha Cha against the book, beautifully, and I got it into my thick head I could do that dance. The best part of the day? Dance Coach agreed and when I told my 15 year old bud, her response to my commenting I might skate it with her at our home rink comp.in May was to jump up and down and shout "DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!!" That's one of the best compliments "on ice" I've ever experienced.

The other great moment: I skated my ISI FS2 Artistic, the program I skated in the Halloween Classic in October, with a few minor upgrades. A week ago, I was fretting like mad over this program, Yesterday, I was relaxed and I felt great, and as I hit my final two foot spin, I thought, "I did it!!!" and I stuck my left toe pick in for my final pose...

And the doggone pick hit a rut, slid and I promptly stumble danced and laughed my way to a ridiculous finish.

Hubby, who does our music and announcing, watched me skate the program and told me the only thing that exceeded the big smile on my face halfway through the program was the even bigger smile on my freestyle coach's face.

Life is good... :clap: :rock:

icy fresh

On the Ice
On Saturday I had a competition. I did pre-juvenile for the first time and came in sixth with a few 4th place ordinals I might add. I wasn't really happy with how I skated so I knew that I probably could've placed better had I skated better. It was great because I re-connected with one of my best friends and she is doing so great in skating! The competition was a lot of fun and I made a lot of new friends. I was so sad to leave.

So now I'm working on a new program for April and making my spins faster with more revolutions. My spins are my weakest part of skating so they need some work! They're already improving. I got aboue 3 more rotations on the camel tonight and I'm changing positions now in it. Anyway, I'm actually quite frusturated with skating right now. I'm feeling kinda down on it. This is one of those times where motivation comes in hand. I just feel like I have a lot on my plate (2 programs, doubles, moves, dance) and I don't feel like I've had much improvement. But the funny thing is that my mom keeps saying that I've improved immensely and a lot of people have been complimenting my skating lately - people I don't know. So I don't know, I just think that the doubles are really frusturating me and I let them control how I feel about my entire skating. If everything I did in practice was perfect except my doubles were off, I would be upset. So I'm very hard on myself. I'm never satisfied with anything. NEVER.

Since I can't get ice time in everyday because it's not offered, I've now told myself that I must only do schoolwork and off-ice training on the days that I don't skate. So don't expect me to be on here much anymore cause I'll either be running, stretching, doing pilates, crunches, or something that makes my body ache the next morning. Have a good week everyone!

Summerkid

Rinkside
I'm still working the Intermediate Moves test. Ran the test backwards with the coach. It's weird that I dread the power crossover patterns more than the more complex patterns--like back double threes, brackets, etc. I just have to remember to BEND MY KNEES. There's still a few months before the test to build up the old stamina and confidence.

MannyisHOT

Rinkside
Skated 3 times this week. Each time I worked on my Senior Bronze Free Skate elements and the program. It is very painful but I got through all of the elements and keep falling on my double toe. I almost had my program done until I fell on my flip and a half and didn't stand up and there was only like 5 seconds left in my program. My coach is proud of me though since I only started double toes 4 weeks ago.

danamartens

Spectator
MannyisHOT said:
Skated 3 times this week. Each time I worked on my Senior Bronze Free Skate elements and the program. It is very painful but I got through all of the elements and keep falling on my double toe. I almost had my program done until I fell on my flip and a half and didn't stand up and there was only like 5 seconds left in my program. My coach is proud of me though since I only started double toes 4 weeks ago.

Hi MannyisHOT,

I used to skate in Chatham many years ago in my younger years! I Nice to see someone from my home area!

MannyisHOT

Rinkside
that is cool! I actually have never known anyone who used to live in Chatham or Blenheim.... besides Shae Lynn Bourne and he brother, Chris.