What made you a fan? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What made you a fan?

lovespirals

Rinkside
I would watch figure skating off and on but it was the death of Sergei and Katia's book about their love that really hooked me in. :yes:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I started figure skating in Prince George, BC at the age of twelve. After a few lessons, I was hooked on figure skating and skating became my passion. My dad made a small rink for my brother and I to skate on to our hearts desire that winter and my mom had a heck of a time getting me out of my skates at night. As well we trained at the Prince George figure skating club. I also skated in and around Vancouver, at various clubs. It's been a life long love affair with figure skating for me.

Now I am an arm chair expert, although I still love to put my skates on and take a turn or two around the rink. It makes me feel like a kid again. I miss the good old days when I skated. Watching others skate is not quite the same, although I really admire these great skaters and know what they go through to achieve their goals. When I skated figures were still very much a part of the skating world. It was a lot different then.

I once saw the great maestro, Toller Cranston interviewed after he left skating and he stated it best: "what I miss is the freedom skating brings one. The movement across the ice."

That's what I miss, there is nothing like it. It's like flying without wings.

:love:

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
I became a fan at 5 years old when my parents bought me my first pair of skates. Even with my rather debilitating injury, skating is my first love, and I could never give it up. Not being able to do it anymore kills me, and I adore every ability I get to watch others do perfectly what I know I could do if it weren't for the injury. It's all fate, I suppose, and there's something about watching skating, even now, that fills me with more joy than I could ever imagine.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I pretty much doubt anyone has been a fan longer than I. Maybe Dick Button. :rofl: I remember hearing about Sonja Heinie (don't remember how she spells it.) Back then they had news shorts and cartoons before they showed the movie. So, I would see it on the screen and then was able to go to her movies. Was her last gold medal in 1936? I would have been seven. Of course, couldn't see it on tv until much later. We went to a few shows in Wichita back then. I was really glad when we got a vcr and I could tape them. I probably have several thousand tapes. Now, if I just had time to edit them. :p
:scowl: :banging:

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
I became a fan with SLC 2002, before that sometimes I did zapping and I catch some FS but didn't pay attention to the name or anything. Amazingly enough for me (being a Plush fan) I remembered Plush from the 99-00 season when while my sister and I were doing zapping and we ended up watching the last half of his Gypsy dance program (very likely from Euros) and we went :eek: when he did the Biellman. Two years later, NBC had this pre-olys special and I just manage to catch the little special they had on men FS and when Plush appeared I was "that's that guy!!!", then I watched Olys and became a fan of Plush and skating in general.

Ximena

PS: However, before Olys, if you said "Michelle Kwan" I'm 99% certain that I knew who she was regardless of the fact that I knew nothing about figure skating.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Okay, don't throw things at me.....the Kerrigan/Harding scandal brought me into skating.

LOL, I certainly won't. I was 14 at the time and had never been very interested in skating. All of the sudden, I am caught up in this huge national drama! I watched the Lillehammer SPs and was hooked. I saw Chen Lu's brilliance in "Claire de Lune", Baiul's beauty in "Swan Lake", and Kerrigan's dynamic athleticism in the Neil Diamond medley (okay, it was the LP....but to me it was the Gold medal winning LP). I loved it! The next year I started following Michelle's career and that was it for me. The Kerrigan/Harding scandal may have brought my attention to the sport, but Michelle made me stay. Since then, I have learned to enjoy all of the disciplines (including ice dance from 2004 Worlds on) and so many of the skaters.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Skating was always on in my house growing up. During my early early childhood I only have vague memories. Battle of the Brians I was three. I named my first Barbie katarina. How would a 2 1/2 know that name :laugh: 1991 Worlds when I was six and a half. Kristi Yamaguchi won. She immediately became my favorite skater. Tonya finished second. nancy finished third. The 1992 Olympics was what really made me become a fan of the sport. I remember the Skates of Gold show in 1993 and totally being blown away by T/D Bolero. I watched it over and over again. After the 1994 Olympics. I totally loved those weekily pro competitions. In 1996 I was blown away by Michelle Kwan's Salome( I still think it is perhaps the best ladies program I have ever seen). I then became a fan of hers. I co

33leprechaun

Rinkside
Eeyora said:
Skating was always on in my house growing up. During my early early childhood I only have vague memories. Battle of the Brians I was three. I named my first Barbie katarina. How would a 2 1/2 know that name :laugh: 1991 Worlds when I was six and a half. Kristi Yamaguchi won. She immediately became my favorite skater. Tonya finished second. nancy finished third. The 1992 Olympics was what really made me become a fan of the sport. I remember the Skates of Gold show in 1993 and totally being blown away by T/D Bolero. I watched it over and over again. After the 1994 Olympics. I totally loved those weekily pro competitions. In 1996 I was blown away by Michelle Kwan's Salome( I still think it is perhaps the best ladies program I have ever seen). I then became a fan of hers. I co
a Katarina Barbie - that is so cute!

chania36

On the Ice
Hi

I always watched figure skating. Unfortunately, it was when Sergei Grinkov died that I became a uge figure skating fan.

Eliza

Rinkside
I've been watching figure skating as long as I can remember, so I don't really know what made me a fan. My first favorite that I remember is Janet Lynn.

Eliza

Jhar55

Medalist
I became a skating fan the year Peggy won her gold medal. Beg my dad for a pair of skates and started skating on the flooded frozen corn field in Indiana. We didn't have any indoor rinks. And now I live in Kentucky and still no where to skate. It's doesn't stay cold long enough here to freeze any outdoor ponds.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Fan for 11 years and counting!

I was 11 or 12 years old. The Oly's always fall a few days before my birthday.

I had watched a little of it 2 years earlier, but didn't quite understand it, but I loved the shows. And then, the Nancy and Tonya thing happened, so I definiteley wanted to see if Nancy would win. I loved Oksana, Viktor P., and Alexei U. from the start. I remember Oksana and Viktor dancing/skating together to some Elvis song. It was an exciting time! :) I wish I could have been a part of that team. :)

Last edited:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
I have a vague memory of sitting on the floor in front of our black and white television watching Peggy Fleming at the Olympics when I was not quite four years old. After that I have slightly clearer memories of Janet Lynn, and then Dorothy Hamill. By that point, I was pretty much watching the big three (Nationals, Worlds and Olympics) whenever I could. It was sometimes difficult in an apartment with one television and, of course, no VCR (and brothers who wouldn't stand for skating to be on, LOL!). Tai and Randy at Lake Placid Olys in 1980 was my first skating heartbreak. :cry:

Anyway, I watched the coverage available to us at the time through the 80's and, of course, it became easier when VCR's came into existence. By the early 90's I was pretty much starting to lose interest (most times, my favorites didn't win, and I didn't understand why), and the whole Harding debacle was really putting the last nail in the coffin.

That all changed when I first saw Michelle Kwan in 1993/1994. She renewed my interest in figure skating, and she inspired me to educate myself about skating (edges, the differences in jumps, etc.), so I would know what was going on, and not just be an uninformed spectator. As she has matured through the years, besides the jumps, etc., I have been amazed at the flow she has across the ice. In my opinion, she moves so naturally across the ice, it's as though she was born with skates on. She makes it seem so effortless, as though everybody (even me, the world's biggest klutz) could move like that. I consider it a privilege to have been able to watch her skating through the years.

I didn't become a figure skating fan because of Michelle, but I have become a better, more complete skating fan because of her.

76olympics

On the Ice
See my user name!

I was 12 when I saw Dorothy Hamill in Innsbruck and I was glued to the set. I bought "short and sassy" shampoo and the "Seventeen" mag with her on the cover! After that, I watched most of the big comps when they were on network TV with periods that I HAD no TV (mid-80s when I was in college). I really loved the 88 Olympics and became a big fan of Brian B and G and G then.

I never skated (except once or twice when the civic center had a public rink. I stayed upright-that's all I can say..)-as I live in the South-but I have become a bigger and bigger armchair fan as I aged. I have quite the skating library now (also a bookaholic!). I wish all of the older skaters would write autobios..

33leprechaun

Rinkside
I left out Midori in my ramblings! How is that possible? Please forgive me, Midori! Love those jumps, girl! I actually wanted to name my daughter Midori.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I've been a fan since the day I found figure skating on ABC's Wide World of Sports in the early 60's. There were four broadcasts a year with figure skating -- US Nationals, North American Championships, European Championships, and World Championships -- and I sat through car racing, barrel skimming, arm wrestling, football, Acapulco cliff diving, track and field, and any number of other sports to squeeze out the 15-20 minutes of skating scattered through each 1.5 hour broadcast.

I fell head over heels with Peggy Fleming's skating, and as a result of Dick Button's obsession with Harvard athletes, had my first and only skating crush on John Misha Petkovich at age 7. (I think it's because I loved the name "Misha.")

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
I've been a fan since the day I found figure skating on ABC's Wide World of Sports in the early 60's. There were four broadcasts a year with figure skating -- US Nationals, North American Championships, European Championships, and World Championships -- and I sat through car racing, barrel skimming, arm wrestling, football, Acapulco cliff diving, track and field, and any number of other sports to squeeze out the 15-20 minutes of skating scattered through each 1.5 hour broadcast.

LOL hockeyfan, that's a lot of stuff we had to sit through to get to the skating, wasn't it? I guess that's why I erroneously thought Wide World of Sports was on for 3 hours, which I put in a post the other day. :laugh:

OT, I'll be at the home of the NJ Devils tomorrow for COI. :)

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was always a skating fan...I remember vaguely seeing Dorothy Hamill win. I do remember watching Denise Biellmann do her famous spin. Then I remember being heartbroken for Tai and Randy though I don't know if I had ever really seen them before the 1980 Olympics! LOL! I do remember being sad for Linda Fratianne too. By the 1984 Olympics I was so happy for Scott, so sad for Roz. It was between the 1984 Olympics and 1988 Olympics that I began to become a diehard fan. I started watching An Evening of Championship Skating each year where I first saw a young Kristi Yamaguchi in both singles and pairs and immediately loved her.

But it was those 1988 Olympics that hooked me forever. Watching Brian Boitano skate my hands were shaking like a leaf and I was thrilled when he won. I was devasted for Debi Thomas. I knew I was hooked after my emotional roller coaster ride. The next year my girl Kristi made a splash and I discoverd something else new - taping skating! I finally learned to identify the jumps that way (slo mo, etc.) and I learned that I could watch over and over and over again and I did. The next step was seeing skating live and that hooked me further...then came magazine subscriptions and of course, the internet! I'm a lost cause, forever a diehard skating fan! :agree:

pipsqueak

Rinkside
corny but true

Corny but true---I grew up in a cold place on a farm with a pond. Before I was even in school I begged for ice skates because that's what all the cool kids did after church on Sunday on the farm pond--ice skated. Also, from the time I can remember, I knew about the story of Hans Brinker---that's the corny part. So, I thought skating was just a part of everyone's childhood, like getting a bike for Christmas, or sledding on the first snow day. So, when I saw figure skating on a black and white TV for the first time, I was elated to see people doing it to music---and it looked like dancing on ice to me. So, I can't remember the time I WASN'T a fan. I love all winter sports, but figure skating is my "anchor" sport to watch.

lotusland

On the Ice
I became a fan of figure skating through hockey! When I was pre-school age my uncle had to babysit me. He was a hockey player and of course he was stuck with having to drag me to his (in town) games and practices. On most days after his practice the local skating club had the ice and he'd let me stay for a bit and watch the figure skaters doing their "patch" session. I bugged my parents for some time and tey finally agreed to let me give it a try. I skated for several years but family troubles led to money problems and eventually I had to give it up. I've always said, "if anyone can become a lifelong fan of figure skating through watching someone doing "figures" then you know it was meant to be." :laugh: