180° Camel Spin? | Golden Skate

180° Camel Spin?

Petrushko Sashenko

Spectator
Is it physically possible to perform a camel spin way beyond the 90 degrees of amplitude?

I'd been thinking about it, and why no skater (that I've ever seen) has ever gone to the extreme of a 180 degrees camel spin. Even skaters famed for their groin flexibility such as Sasha Cohen or Yulia Lipnitskaya didn't pass beyond 90 degrees.

I know some rhythmic gymnastics' pivots are performed in what mimics an arabesque penché position, even though they're held for a couple of seconds max. But is it translatable to ice?

A 180° camel spin. Is it scientifically possible or mere science fiction and such a spin will only be performed on ones imagination?

odinv

Rinkside
Not quite sure I understand what you are talking about here. Do you mean something like an inverted biellmann (i.e. head to floor)?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think what they mean is taking my profile pic and put my free leg up to 180 degrees and start spinning. Is that correct?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Last edited:
I think that figure skaters, whatever their flexibility, are not going to be able to do what rhythmic gymnasts and acrobatic dancers do. I would think that wearing heavy skates alone would be a factor.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I suspect the issue with spinning in this position in skates would be less about the weight of the skates or about flexibility per se and more about being able to balance over the sweet spot of the blade.

Although a wider range of flexibility would allow for a wider choice of free leg positions to negotiate the balance point.

We do sometimes see 180-degree splits, or close to it, briefly obtained in illusion spins.

And in pair spins, which can be more forgiving because there are two bodies that can counterbalance each other rather than the same skater needing to get both free leg and upper body working against each other to balance out the position.

Petrushko Sashenko

Spectator
I suspect the issue with spinning in this position in skates would be less about the weight of the skates or about flexibility per se and more about being able to balance over the sweet spot of the blade.

Although a wider range of flexibility would allow for a wider choice of free leg positions to negotiate the balance point.

We do sometimes see 180-degree splits, or close to it, briefly obtained in illusion spins.

And in pair spins, which can be more forgiving because there are two bodies that can counterbalance each other rather than the same skater needing to get both free leg and upper body working against each other to balance out the position.
Yes, the Mishkutenok / Dmitriev Spin, in which she performs an "inverted I-Spin" with his assistance.