200+ hours of skating on NBC channels! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

200+ hours of skating on NBC channels!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have often wondered why we don't get coverage of the Japanese Nationals in America. Figure skating is huge over there and fans in America who follow figure skating enough to actively seek it out would definitely watch. Why would it be so much harder to tape than the European Championships? I'm lost and also bitter. I love the Japanese ladies.

I understand what you are saying, but we hardly get coverage of skating overall in the US and that's of our own events, so getting coverage of Japanese Nationals is a stretch.

b-man

Final Flight
Did you look for Olympic Channel? It's an NBC channel, but not listed with NBC in its name. And with most providers, it's a high number (624 for my provider, DirecTV), not in the 200s like most sports channels.

OK, I found it. A message says, to receive this channel, call this listed number. I guess that's where the extra fee comes in.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
OK, I found it. A message says, to receive this channel, call this listed number. I guess that's where the extra fee comes in.

As someone else said in this thread (and as happened with me), you might be able to get it added without the overall bill being higher. In my case, I had previously started with a lower tier & later added on with a mini package that included the Big 10 conference. I was able to replace that with a higher tier that included both Olympic Channel and Big 10, at the exact same monthly cost.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I understand what you are saying, but we hardly get coverage of skating overall in the US and that's of our own events, so getting coverage of Japanese Nationals is a stretch.

In the U.S., we can get live coverage of every skater at every level at Nationals, the Classic in Salt Lake and Skate America, plus live or on-demand for every skater in sectionals and regionals. And even live streams of some club competitions. What U.S. event is not covered?

corinthia

Rinkside
Spectrum, formerly called Time Warner.

Me too, TWC now spectrum, do NOT have Olympic channel (could upgrade cable pkg to get it, haven't done so)

Good news is that live stuff aired on olympic channel is also available live and replayed on nbcsprts.com/live with TWC id/pw. They don't seem to care whether I have olympic channel specifically to watch their stuff. Try it!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In the U.S., we can get live coverage of every skater at every level at Nationals, the Classic in Salt Lake and Skate America, plus live or on-demand for every skater in sectionals and regionals. And even live streams of some club competitions. What U.S. event is not covered?

What I am saying is TV coverage is not what it used to be in say the 90's. There aren't as many events or opportunities for skaters esp Pro and US events are not getting attendance like they used to.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What I am saying is TV coverage is not what it used to be in say the 90's. There aren't as many events or opportunities for skaters esp Pro and US events are not getting attendance like they used to.

I agree but, I don't blame it all on the viewers. I remember the days when I'd see commercials for skating events during football games on TV. Look at this clip which features a VERY young Dick Button and hear him talk about skating decades after his competitive days. All featured on ABC's "Wide World Of Sports" They promoted this event for weeks before it happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxh8AQbXN9o

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree but, I don't blame it all on the viewers. I remember the days when I'd see commercials for skating events during football games on TV. Look at this clip which features a VERY young Dick Button and hear him talk about skating decades after his competitive days. All featured on ABC's "Wide World Of Sports" They promoted this event for weeks before it happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxh8AQbXN9o
I never said it was the viewers fault and I'm well aware of how things worked and Wide World of Sports coverage.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I never said it was the viewers fault and I'm well aware of how things worked and Wide World of Sports coverage.

I'm not trying to assign blame to anyone. I think it's a matter of money more than anything else. Skaters used to be in TV Commercials all the time. I haven't seen a skater as the face of any product like I used to. Peggy with Trident, Janet Lynn with Kodak, and I want to say that there were skaters who used to been in commercials for Campbell's Soup. When Evan won in 2010 I was expecting to see his face everywhere and that didn't really happen the way it did for Scott. However, I don't think anyone got as much publicity as Peggy did. She was also the Leggs panty hose spokeswoman.

What I'm trying to say is that I never had to "Search" for skating events like I have to now. No matter which sport was playing on ABC, a commercial would come on during the broadcast and they'd tell me.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not trying to assign blame to anyone. I think it's a matter of money more than anything else. Skaters used to be in TV Commercials all the time. I haven't seen a skater as the face of any product like I used to. Peggy with Trident, Janet Lynn with Kodak, and I want to say that there were skaters who used to been in commercials for Campbell's Soup. When Evan won in 2010 I was expecting to see his face everywhere and that didn't really happen the way it did for Scott. However, I don't think anyone got as much publicity as Peggy did. She was also the Leggs panty hose spokeswoman.

What are you talking about?!! Evan was in Coca-Cola commercials leading up to at least the Sochi games, he was one of the four winter olympian faces they used, his silhouette was on the Coke cans. He was also on Cereal boxes after his win (IDR if it was Wheaties or Corn Flakes) either way he was. He was also the face of Ralph Lauren along with Davis/White and others. There are commercials that have been showing leading up to the last 3 winter games with skaters in them. If you don't see them it doesn't mean they don't exist.

This conversation started with me saying there isn't TV coverage like there used to be and I stand by my statement. YMMV. I'm out.

Evan's Coca-Cola print ads
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2012/08/11/39/54/cokeolympics_387983a_1.jpg
http://www.coca-colacompany.com/sto...h-olympic-champion-figure-skater-evan-lysacek
Cans:
https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/System/6/C/5/7/6C57057C69A341759498ED03260B3297/2010-Cans.jpg

P&G ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=420p7kb0Y78

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

I guess we are just remembering differently. In the 90s, yes, on "regular" TV we did get a bunch of "manufactured" events that featured certain well-known Pro stars. But for U.S. events such as Nationals, we often didn't see even the final flight of Seniors. Just 3-4 skaters; often tape-delayed. Rarely even a glimpse of the Junior & Novice champions.

I would never trade those days for all the viewing opportunities we have now.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's almost all on the Olympic channel which on Charter is the gold tier. We have the silver tier. My roommate is not going to want to move tiers for one channel.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uncle Dick is adorable in this, and I LOVE Rudy Galindo. Still gives me goosebumps.

andromache

Record Breaker
Friendly reminder to my fellow millenials: use your parents cable/satellite info to log into NBC. Might not work all the time (like idk about all these hours of older skating coverage), but should definitely work for 2018 Olympic content, along with any live/semi-live content that NBC covers and IceNetwork bails on.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Links to Rostelecom videos on nbcsports.com are below. (No password or log-in required.)

I have watched all but Hanyu's SP, and these videos -- ETA: in the first batch -- are commentary-free.

And I imagine that nbcsports.com will be adding a few Rostelecom FS/FD videos after the NBC telecast tomorrow.

ETA:

As expected, nbcsports.com has added a second batch of Rostelecom videos.

The second batch (unlike the first) does have Gannon/Weir/Lipinski commentary.

Nathan Chen SP (3:34; again, this second version has commentary)

Misha Ge FS (5:41)

Mikhail Kolyada FS (5:27)

Yuzuru Hanyu FS (7:39)

Shibutanis FD (4:55)

Elena Radionova FS (5:06)

Evgenia Medvedeva FS (5:06)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Links to Skate Canada International videos on nbcsports.com are below. (No password or log-in required.)

They have commentary from Ryan Bradley and Andrea Joyce (from Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA).

I imagine that nbcsports.com will be adding more Skate Canada videos as the event proceeds.

Karen Chen SP (3:29)

Ashley Wagner SP (1:59, not the full program)

Kaetlyn Osmond SP (7:01)​

ETA:

More Skate Canada International videos on nbcsports.com:

Virtue/Moir SD (6:48) with commentary from Ben Agosto + A. Joyce

Jason Brown SP (3:18) w Bradley/Joyce commentary

Shoma Uno SP (7:21) w Bradley/Joyce commentary​

ETA:

Even more Skate Canada International videos on nbcsports.com:

Ashley Wagner FS (7:51) commentary-free

Karen Chen FS (7:42) commentary-free

Kaetlyn Osmond FS (8:06) commentary-free

Hubbell/Donohue FD (6:01) with commentary from Ben Agosto + A. Joyce

Virtue/Moir FD (5:59) with Agosto/Joyce commentary​

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Olympic channel isn't available from all cable companies. I have no way to get it because mine doesn't carry it. It looks to be mainly an NBC/Comcast thing.

IF you are desperate you can get Hulu with Live TV for 39.99 a month. That will get you the Olympic Channel plus a bunch of other channels and cloud DVR storage. I'm pretty desperate but only signed up for the week free trial. Don't know what I will do after that.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IF you are desperate you can get Hulu with Live TV for 39.99 a month. That will get you the Olympic Channel plus a bunch of other channels and cloud DVR storage. I'm pretty desperate but only signed up for the week free trial. Don't know what I will do after that.

I'm not that desperate. I am already paying for cable. Apparently, my cable company gets the Olympic channel in SD (according to their channel lineup). Not sure what it would look like but am thinking about getting it for around $10.00 a month extra.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not that desperate. I am already paying for cable. Apparently, my cable company gets the Olympic channel in SD (according to their channel lineup). Not sure what it would look like but am thinking about getting it for around $10.00 a month extra.

My roommate is really not going to like moving up another tier. But it's cheaper than 39.99. HULU is probably a good deal if you don't have cable. And if I moved up another tier I'd get Nebraska gymnastics, which I follow because of Chris Brooks, and UCLA gymnastics, which I follow because i love their dance. We already get the SEC Network. I'm just trying to think up a good argument.