2010 Olympics - Official Logo - Ugh!!!!! | Golden Skate

2010 Olympics - Official Logo - Ugh!!!!!

Aloft04

On the Ice
At least the mascot will be easy. They can rent those rock monster suits from "Galaxy Quest" !.... or if the Michelin Man doesn't mind spray paint and doesn't already have a gig......maybe BOTH for the opening ceremony.

I kind of like the design really. It should at least be a distinctive graphic on all the crap they'll be selling. And I mean that in the nicest possible way....

jan

On the Ice
I have to say that I think the logo is fantastic. The Innuit symbol the inookshook is very meaningful to the innuit and to most Canadians. Therefore it will have more of a lasting effect on those that buy or obtain souveneirs of the Olympics!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
It does lack a bit lf flair compared to the last several, but the symbolism is beautiful.

I like totem poles. However, I hope they pose this in different ways such as a camel spin (for figure skating) with 2 poles (for skiing) with sitting in a sled (bobsled), etc.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
jan said:
I have to say that I think the logo is fantastic. The Innuit symbol the inookshook is very meaningful to the innuit and to most Canadians. Therefore it will have more of a lasting effect on those that buy or obtain souveneirs of the Olympics!!!

Interestingly enough, a whopping 84% British Columbians polled - said they hate it; 7% said they love it; and a mere 9% said they could learn to love it. It really has not much symbolic meaning for our region nor the rest of Canada. The Innuit people live in the NorthWest Territories and are not part of BC. We have a couple of their statues here and there and the artist who hails from Mexico - which really is a long way from BC - saw the stautes and decided - "hey this is really a Canadian image." Too bad she did not ask the rest of us who were born and raised here. Oh well. Maybe we will get used to it. It sort of looks like a hockey goalie - THAT IS CANADIAN!!!

Arsenette

On the Ice
LOL at least it doesn't promote "skiny toothpick" athletes :rofl: Seriously I don't see anything wrong with it I've seen worse stuff.

Jill

On the Ice
I like it! I mean, what could be worse than "Izzy" the "Whatizit" from a few years back??? I think that was one of ours, from the Atlanta games of 96. What an embarassment that was!

I love Vancouver, and I know they are going to do a bang up job for these Olympics. :clap:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Lad, I don't understand your antipathy to the Inuits. You don't like them because they live far away from British Columbia? Because they are not "real Canadians?" Would you have been better pleased if they had based the logo on British Columbian art?

http://www.units.muohio.edu/dragonfly/plants/tot1.jpeg

OOPS!!! I don't dislike the Innuit people; I just thought it strange that an emblem that has not much meaning to the rest of the country would be chosen. It's also such a strange looking emblem; I don't think the artist rendered the statue any justice. It does not have any relation to sports or the Olympics and is cartoonish. Even our local first nations peoples are upset by this choice and feel insulted. Not many Canadians even know what the Inukshuk represents. We inherited them during Expo and some ended up in Stanley Park. It's more of a Cultural thing for the Innuits.

The emblem (created) is just - in one word - ugly. After all the big pitch to sell us on the Olympics it's kind of disappointing to be stuck with an ugly Olympic emblem before the darn thing even starts! A simple Maple Leaf with five Olympic Rings around it would have sufficed. Anyway, I won't be able to afford to head up to Whistler for the Games, so what do I care?

"Let the Games begin" aIlanaaq (el la nawk), and all.

Last edited: