2013 Junior Worlds Ladies FS | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Ladies FS

We definitely need split judging panels for TES and PCS. And a better PCS marking methodology developed.

Just watched MIYAHARA's FS and not sure why some thought her program is lovely. Same here as before, she barely has any facial expression on her face (much worse than Julia)

Because she used her whole body to interpret the music, her movements were soft and their range, speed and character reflected the character of the music very well. Everything looked neat and polished and there was a lot of upper body movement throughout.

LOL Nationals judging. :p

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Maybe she is so tiny that I didn't catch those movements (if I use Mao's upper body movement as textbook example, I mean as my understanding of good upper body movement, head and neck included).
Maybe just to me, her landing is not good looking at all, no matter it is technically good or not.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
And thanks to that funny judging I think the US Junior Ladies loses a few JGP spots this fall. Bleh. As if we needed fewer spots for the junior ladies in the U.S.
Don't Russia, USA and Canada all get 14 JGP spots for finishing as the top 3 countries?

I wonder if Daleman and Chartrand will skate JGP or senior next season?

gold12345

Medalist
She barely gets off the ice and her knee bend is so deep on the landings, I'm almost expecting her to hit the ice with the free leg every time she lands. That being said, she actually got lower PCS than TES at this competition - just to put into perspective how ridiculous her PCS really were.

She's so short, how high is she really supposed to get off the ice though? Who can jump higher- an adult or a small child? They are always so strict with her.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 169.71 Free Skate
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 165.67 Free Skate
3. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 160.32 Free Skate
4. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 154.55 Free Skate
5. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 152.92 Free Skate
6. Gabrielle DALEMAN (CAN) - 149.39
7. Satoko MIYAHARA (JPN) - 147.42 Free Skate
8. Alaine CHARTRAND (CAN) - 144.38 Free Skate
9. Rika HONGO (JPN) - 142.62
10. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 139.10 Free Skate
11. Yasmin SIRAJ (USA) - 139.08
12. So Youn PARK (KOR) - 135.42
13. Laurine LECAVELIER (FRA) - 131.25
14. Jenni SAARINEN (FIN) - 129.81
15. Ziquan ZHAO (CHN) - 126.11

Last edited:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I'm sad because Cesario got a 4th here. Losing to Pogorilaya was unacceptable. Crowd booed a bit, but they should have protested more, as well as the USA federation (what can they do in that situation? In gymnastics, you can protest scores related to the Difficult of the program, something like the base value in figure skating)

My opinion on all of this: First of all: technicall callers have too much power. They can basically decide who wins and who loses. The judges have to give negative or 0 goe when the jump was given a ur call, even if they thought the jump was fine. The other problem is that there's no clear definition of a take-off and landing, not enough details regarding the definition of technicall elements.
Second: Judges don't help when they give pcs totally based on the reputation of the skater. They simply chose a mark, and repeat it for almost all pcs, except for transitions, which is a little lower. PCS should be judged by a separated panel, imo.
But an even bigger problem is this OBSESSION with rotations, under rotations and so on. A competition like that is what happens when the tech panel doesn't let the skaters skate. Horrible results that don't reflect the actual performances.
This is what I fel too.

But forget the URs and compare the base value of Pogorilaya and Cesario:

Pogorilaya: 58,02
Cesario: 46,45

Cesario lost before the FS began.

yuki

Final Flight
She's so short, how high is she really supposed to get off the ice though? Who can jump higher- an adult or a small child? They are always so strict with her.

She is 1.44 m tall as per her ISU bio. Midori Ito (who was just 1.45 m tall herself) would disagree with you :p. But then again, Midori was a freak of nature (in a good way :) ).
At this point Satoko probably lacks the necessary power to generate bigger jumps - being so short definitely doesn't help. Maybe this will change when she grows taller (hopefully).

Icey

Record Breaker
Some of the most important factors which determine how high someone can jump are genetic and nothing can be done about that. Natural ability can be enhanced somewhat by training with exercises like jumping squats.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Don't Russia, USA and Canada all get 14 JGP spots for finishing as the top 3 countries?

I wonder if Daleman and Chartrand will skate JGP or senior next season?

#1 That's my understanding. I don't think the US lost anything with these placements?

#2 They don't really have anything to lose, I'd expect them to remain #2 & #3 in Canada going forward. If Osmond gets a 2nd spot for the Olympics they're guaranteed to move up. Everyone wants to go to the Olympics. But then I guess they'd have problems with getting GP slots a la Osmond and they did just get 14 JGP spots here so...

Last edited:

hybfc

Rinkside
She also lacks polish. Her movements were really awkward.

Definitely.

Radionova is 13, Lipnitskaya is 14. Why can't they skate to something lighter, more fun, more upbeat? Why the dreary classical music?

People here would say them juvenile if they did.

People here would say them juvenile if they did.

And that's the problem. The obsession with making young skaters look 'mature' even if it means giving them music they are totally and utterly incapable of interpreting.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is what I fel too.

But forget the URs and compare the base value of Pogorilaya and Cesario:

Pogorilaya: 58,02
Cesario: 46,45

Cesario lost before the FS began.

The base value includes the URs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
#1 That's my understanding. I don't think the US lost anything with these placements?

#2 They don't really have anything to lose, I'd expect them to remain #2 & #3 in Canada going forward. If Osmond gets a 2nd spot for the Olympics they're guaranteed to move up. Everyone wants to go to the Olympics. But then I guess they'd have problems with getting GP slots a la Osmond and they did just get 14 JGP spots here so...

Oh! I thought it was top 3 by discipline for full jgp spots! Thanks for the clarification!

ETA: I realize that it's top three countries ranked not whether an individual skater got in the top
three. So yes, we keep full jgp spots!

Last edited:

Dots

Final Flight
This is the worst possible result for Samantha!!!

Off the podium and now with a chronic case of ur's. I don't think I have ever seen her get these many ur's. :eek: It's not sad. It's tragic!!!! :no: