2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

aftertherain

Record Breaker
In conclusion, with this win, Patrick Chan has probably? invoked the Canadian Olympic men's figure skating curse (see: B. Orser, K. Browning, and Elvis Stokjo). Yikes!

... and like another poster said, the event organizers probably did not know the national anthem of Kazakhstan.

kirkyo

Rinkside
Max Aaron 7th's place is the best World's debut since 2010 when Adam finished 6th. But Adam's 6th came in a depleted field, so I think Max's placement is more noteworthy.
Actually, his 7th place debut is only outranked (in the last 10 years) by Rippon (6th, 2010), Lysacek (3rd, 2005) and Weir (5th, 2004)

Well done. :clap:

He was impressive and did not look intimidated by the moment at all, which I think bodes well for his future.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Okay I think Yuzuru had the highest TES of the night even with a sprained ankle and on painkillers :O :O how talented is this boy ? O_O

I really think on form Yuzuru will blow them all away easily. Even Patrick Chan. If he hadn't been injured/sick here he would've won and I honestly believe the OGM is his.

Becki

Medalist
No. The judges were compensating for Chan's marks. They needed to boost his PCS to keep Ten on the podium. In fact, some of them might have actually tried to place him first.

Kinda wish Denis skated after Patrick then. Figure skating is so corrupted...

Icey

Record Breaker
Can you imagine, not too many years from now, some new fan going to you tube to see the great Chan's gold performance at Worlds 2013? OMG

UsedtoDance

Rinkside
Congrats and so excited for team Orser. Way to go Javier and Yuzuru.

Denis Ten never hit my radar but wow, very impressed. For Chan, he does have gorgeous skating skills but got lucky tonight and won with his short program.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Me too...he was pretty close. His 4S was downgraded, and an 'edge' call on the flip. I haven't watched his performance yet, but his PCs seems a bit low? :S Oh well, on the bright side, he's going to rest up and be all prepared for the Olympic Season!

To think Hanyu is #4 with the highest TES of the night even a sprained ankle and on pain killers, he's truly one talented man. Unfortunately, this is not his year. He will be WC soon :)

yes he was held down his FS should have cracked a 150+
I guess 4th place isn't that bad, the important is next season and be at peak by Olympics
Hanyu still has a shot at Gold

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Again, it's not Chan that's the problem. It's the judges. I want to slay them. There are so many places where the judges could have given Denis Ten 2 points or taken away 2 points from Chan. Just ugh, all over the place.

The judges and the judging system. Obviously, there was some wisdom to the 6.0 system, where any of the top three could win gold by winning the free.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Two extremely questionable wins for Chan, two years in a row. It'll be terrible for figure skating's credibility if this happens at the Olympics.

I'm very disappointed.

Nope, we don't have to wait for the Olympics. The sport's "credibility" has been in tatters for some time now. Cinquanta the speed skater is too self-satisfied stuck-in-the-mud power happy to notice or care.

artsciboy

On the Ice
I'm a Canadian and I was very disappointed that the judges held up Chan's skate for the win. Such a horrible skate.

Dennis Ten saved this competition for me. Absolutely wonderful to see him deliver. Granted, he was a bit tentative and doubled two triples - but so encouraging to see him hold it together. His scores will be enormous if goes clean in the future.

I am fine with Javier winning bronze - but he needs better programs.

Becki

Medalist
I really think on form Yuzuru will blow them all away easily. Even Patrick Chan. If he hadn't been injured/sick here he would've won and I honestly believe the OGM is his.

YEAH i believe the same too. But oh well, what's done is done. Yuzuru just suffered from bad luck (lung virus then sprained ankle).

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
He was impressive and did not look intimidated by the moment at all, which I think bodes well for his future.

His 7th place finish REALLY makes me wish I knew what Jeremy Abbott could have accomplished at these worlds. As it turned out, I think he COULD have gotten 6th place and, combined with Max, earned the US those 3 spots for the Olympics. Sigh........There's another instance where one less doubled jump would have written a different story (that's the margin he lost the second spot to Ross by at US nationals)!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Can you imagine, not too many years from now, some new fan going to you tube to see the great Chan's gold performance at Worlds 2013? OMG

History will not be kind to him. Skaters dont make much money so the main reason they put so much work into medals and titles is to earn recognition as a great skater. History has shown us this is not solely determined by titles and medals, especialy those who gain them through suspiscious means. I predict after Chan retires his biggest legacy will be the most held up and controversial champion ever, and few of his titles will seem credible, only the first World title in 2011 and first Grand Prix final title in 2011 will even be acknowledged by most people. He will not gain the respect of a truly great or all time champion skater that a 3 time World Champion normally would, making those medals and titles quite hollow in the end, especialy as they arent doing much for him financially either it seems (he was whining about not having money to take a taxi home from the rink a few years ago).

Chans legacy in the sport will be about on par with say Annett Poetzsch when he retires post Sochi, and he will be an even more controversial figure than she was (atleast people just didnt care about her, other than Fratianne fanatics).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wier stated that he felt that Ten was clearly the winner of the event

Gao stated that she didn't even understand her own sport anymore

Harrison Choate: "If anyone asks you why no watches or cares about skating anymore, just show them a recording of this event and then the results"