2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

auser

Record Breaker
I'll bite. Hate those results as well.
I'll confess that as more of a men's and ice dance fan I haven't watched ladies and pairs comps yet(A human has to work to pay for internet access and streams sometime). I will catch up this weekend with my tvteka stream and then protest as needed.

neraiselle

On the Ice
Johnny Weir's Twitter says:

"This judging is ridiculous and the only reason people buy it is because it's in North America. Imagine the outcry if it were Russia+Plush!?"

ForeverFish

Medalist
His 7th place finish REALLY makes me wish I knew what Jeremy Abbott could have accomplished at these worlds. As it turned out, I think he COULD have gotten 6th place and, combined with Max, earned the US those 3 spots for the Olympics. Sigh........There's another instance where one less doubled jump would have written a different story (that's the margin he lost the second spot to Ross by at US nationals)!

I honestly think the Russian Fed will eat it more. Kovtun placed 17th, just as Gachinski did last year. The Menshov voodoo doll seems to be doing its job.

kirkyo

Rinkside
His 7th place finish REALLY makes me wish I knew what Jeremy Abbott could have accomplished at these worlds. As it turned out, I think he COULD have gotten 6th place and, combined with Max, earned the US those 3 spots for the Olympics. Sigh........There's another instance where one less doubled jump would have written a different story (that's the margin he lost the second spot to Ross by at US nationals)!

Sorry to say but I think realistically Jeremy is done. He choked away the title this year which gives me no confidence next year when the Olympics will just add to the pressure.

ForeverFish

Medalist
It would be interesting to see if no Japanese skaters make it to the podium after tomorrow's Ladies Free.

I'm not feeling it. Murakami will get dinged with UR's (she had 3 in the FS at 4CC, and with the judging panel here...:no: ), Asada's triple axels aren't reliable enough (and she's a far ways back), and Suzuki tends to get overlooked.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wier stated that he felt that Ten was clearly the winner of the event

Gao stated that she didn't even understand her own sport anymore

Harrison Choate: "If anyone asks you why no watches or cares about skating anymore, just show them a recording of this event and then the results"

If you mean Christina Gao she would know all about the crooked judging of the sport. The only contender to do 2 clean programs at Nationals after one of the best seasons of a U.S skater and rather than finishing 1st or 2nd as she deserved (or at worst 3rd) she was shafted into 5th place for something like the 5th straight year simply since the event was fixed and the judges held up their pets who all bombed atleast one program. Judging has only gotten worse with the new judging system not better.

Weir would also know all about how corrupt the judging of the sport has become, as at the Olympics he essentialy skates just as well as the winner Evan Lysacek, and far better than the 4th and 5th place finishers who stumbled and bumbled all over the ice, but as U.S #3 he has to be happy with 6th place, which would have been out of the top 10 had it been a better skated event.

The only people who praise it are people who love that NA is dominating dance, but that is because NA just happens to have improved greatly in dance at a time Europe and the ex Soviet Union has hit an all time low, no other reason. Anyway the astronomical and ridiculous over the top sports that D&W and V&M receive, which kill any competiive element to the event beyond those 2 teams, is not exactly something to praise either.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I predict after Chan retires his biggest legacy will be the most held up and controversial champion ever, and few of his titles will seem credible, only the first World title in 2011 and first Grand Prix final title in 2011 will even be acknowledged by most people. He will not gain the respect of a truly great or all time champion skater that a 3 time World Champion normally would, making those medals and titles quite hollow in the end, especialy as they arent doing much for him financially either it seems (he was whining about not having money to take a taxi home from the rink a few years ago).

Chans legacy in the sport will be about on par with say Annett Poetzsch when he retires post Sochi, and he will be an even more controversial figure than she was (atleast people just didnt care about her, other than Fratianne fanatics).

one thing is or sure, he wont get the same recognition as fellow 3 time consecutive World Champion Alexei Yagudin

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Focusing on the good: Ten had the competition of his career and surprised everyone. Fernandez was on the podium, fighting through two difficult skates but still delivering nice performances. Chan has beautiful quads. Joubert demonstrated quiet maturity and Hanyu showed how to fight for every inch. Aaron wasn't cowed by the event. Mura was wonderful.

And yes, I meant Christina Gao.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
one thing is or sure, he wont get the same recognition as fellow 3 time consecutive World Champion Alexei Yagudin

Definitely not. Even if Chan won the Sochi gold, Yagudins legacy and respect level in the sport amongst fellow skaters, historians, experts, past champions, commentators, writers, and most of all fans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chan at this point. I think it is already too late for that to ever change.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Congrats to Patrick Chan, three-time world champion! You could definitely have done a better LP but hey, it's a two-program competition and you won overall. Hopefully this fires you up for next year.

Congrats to D10 and Javier for making history with the first Worlds medal for their countries. Great to see such a happy podium!!

Just noticed all the medallists' programs are choreographed by Canadians... now that's a Kanadian Konspiracy at its best! ;)

Nice try for light-heartedness, IndieBoi. It ain't gonna work. Patrick routinely gets away with mistakes other skaters are royally dumped on for. Patrick's SS and his self-conscious "artistry" should not give him a bye. Gotta say Patrick Chan when it comes to artistry is no Toller Cranston, no Jeremy Abbott, no Denis Ten, no Stephane Lambiel, and no, not even Jeffrey Buttle, Kurt Browning, Shawn Sawyer or Emanuel Sandhu.

Yep and you still gotta put in that arrogant, self-conscious, winky plug for Canadians' superiority in the sport of fs, eh? Well, I doubt an artist like Julie Marcotte thinks in terms of being a Canadian lording it over skaters and choreographers from other countries about how frickin' great she is.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The sad thing is...I really DO think Chan has improved on his presentation abilities in the Long Program. And I like the program a lot. But you shouldn't win like that.

Both the scoring system and the judges are at fault for the result. The scoring system sucks because, aside from rules that usually make programs less effective, mistakes mean almost nothing anymore. If you land a spectacular Quad and fall on your next Quad, you end up with pretty much the same amount of points as someone else who landed two "average" Quads. That's just not right...and it's what Chan benefits from. He gets huge scores for the elements he does execute, which makes his mistakes mean nothing.

The scale of values for GOE needs to be reversed. Mistakes on jumps (-GOE) should be taking away 2x as many points as they currently do, and +GOE on jumps should only be worth about 70% of what it currently is.

And judges seriously need to stop giving out +3's like candy.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The sad thing is...I really DO think Chan has improved on his presentation abilities in the Long Program. And I like the program a lot. But you shouldn't win like that.

Both the scoring system and the judges are at fault for the result. The scoring system sucks because, aside from rules that usually make programs less effective, mistakes mean almost nothing anymore. If you land a spectacular Quad and fall on your next Quad, you end up with pretty much the same amount of points as someone else who landed two "average" Quads. That's just not right...and it's what Chan benefits from. He gets huge scores for the elements he does execute, which makes his mistakes mean nothing.

The scale of values for GOE needs to be reversed. Mistakes on jumps (-GOE) should be taking away 2x as many points as they currently do, and +GOE on jumps should only be worth about 70% of what it currently is.

And judges seriously need to stop giving out +3's like candy.

This I absolutely agree with (maybe the rest, but I haven't thought about it much).

ranjake

Final Flight

...and that would be a shame because Patrick Chan is clearly a skater for the ages. I actually feel bad that he may feel bad about this result that is not, imo, one iota his fault. I want to hear what the judges were thinking; I think this result warrants it- but I certainly don't fault PC for what they did.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
After tonight I fear the rest of the Worlds is already fixed. Davis & White though will be given the dance gold over V&M (and probably will deserve it) as a way to try and ease some of the Chan and Canadian controversy after tonight. Unless D&W fall the judges wont dare have V&M pull up from over 3 points back to win now, and perhaps not even then. W&P will be overmarked and pull up to 4th or possibly even 3rd depending how P&B and B&S skate.

However when it comes to the ladies they probably have Osmond slotted in for a certain medal and only both Kostner and Asada skating spectacularly (assuming Kim is a lock to medal, probably gold) or a poor skate from Osmond wil prevent that from happening.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Of all the pcs categories I have read all the bullet points and don't see why chan's so great! Like MUST you be in the rink to hear his blade/ice silence or something? And see his speed in person. So much where falling twice fails to impact the performance pcs??