2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 102 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Nater

Match Penalty
Point is their opinions are just as valid as yours.

Yet they act as if that isn't the case.

Have you read the thread and seen how they gang up on anyone that disagrees with them. Seen the name calling. Someone just asked me if I was Putin's Gay Lover...

Also, how is calling Yuna "That Korean" racist yet people are being clearly Geo-Racist Towards Russia... The double standard is amazing...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Nater, don't get so worked up. Most people do not understand the technical scoring. They only see a beautiful performance and are immediately convinced that should beat another whom they think is ugly / not to their taste. That used to be the case in the 6.0 days where lovelier, soft skaters trumped the athletic ones. Think Kwan, Cohen vs Ito, Slutskaya despite the lovelier skaters lower technical contents. Issue here is casual watchers do not understand the scoring system well enough. In the Sochi case here, I agree with you that Sotnikova win hands down versus Yuna on the TES. Where the true controversy lies is the PCS where I still think Sot was overscored in both SP and FS.
I'm in for the athletic type. Do I like Adelina's performance better than KIm? Yes. Do I think Adelina's TES ok? Yes. But her PCS is another problem.
Frankly, I do think we should adjust the scoring system so PCS only cover 35% of the whole score. The thing is PCS is so subtle and there is no reasonable explain for why this skater get high PCS while other get low scores.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I'm talking about BV. Yuna eats some of it away with GOEs.

In any part of the world, she still would have deserved to win with the performances she gave. It all would have come down to whether the judges were willing to hold up Yuna Kim to gift her the gold.

It's a lot easier to justify holding a skater up than to justify boosting a skater to win a competition they skated well enough to deserve winning.

Especially in a sport like Figure Skating where veterans are usually given unfair PCS advantage over new skaters to mast their inferiority on the technical end (which Kim was, in this case).

Yes and the time to break that alleged tradition is with a russian girl skating clean in Russia, That's very pure

chairmanmao

Final Flight
The bitterness of Yuna and her fans warms my heart. Add to the magical performance of Mao made this result even more awesome.

Spinerette

On the Ice
Mao should have won the free skate. She had 8 triples including the triple axel with a minor problem. She was also artistic. It's unbelievable that Mao received only 145 and Adelina almost got a 150, LOL. We should have boycotted this silly nonsense in Putin's backyard. Even Polina Edmunds and Valentina Marchei, Akiko, Kanako and Gracie had better artistry at least they skate to the music. It really doesn't matter what Adelina skates to as someone said before here-it's incidental.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Some of you would get your point across a lot better if you didn't resort to calling other posters names or insulting their intelligence. Just saying.

I apologize if "kiddo" offended anyone,

Ever since rewatchin "Kill bill 2" a couple of weeks ago it kinda stuck with me ;)

jaylee

Medalist
She was skating like she didn't give a ****, and looked the part 90% of the time. It looked and seemed phoned in. It was a flat performance. It was NOTHING like what she did in Vanvouver, but rather a complete 180 from it.

She skated almost as if she was entitled as long as she landed the jumps.

There you go with your complete and utter lies again. ENTITLED? Every single interview Yu-na gave, she said she did not expect a certain result and went out of the way to say that a second OGM was not her main objective. She never acted as if a second OGM was a done deal. Here's her reaction to her scores: http://mustafeener.tumblr.com/post/77310102146/it-takes-a-true-champion-to-smile-in-the-face-of

You are projecting your own negativity and nastiness towards Yu-Na onto her mental state. You didn't like her program/performance, fine. But you have no right to say that she was "disinterested" or acting "entitled". Yu-Na was committed to her choreography, she had clarity of movement, she understood what her choreography meant in relation to the music. I can't say that about all other skaters.

Do you people know what performance/execution actually is? And you still have to PERFORM, even if the pressure is on. Adelina did that. Yuna didn't.

I do know what P/E is, and I do know that Adelina projected really well. Good for her. In terms of interpretation and choreography, though, Adelina did not leave me impressed all season long. And I like many, many things about Adelina's skating.

Same could be said of Yuna Kim and her phoned-in programs. I don't even get how the choreography had anything to do with her music. Yuna is all arms. She had barely any transitions and she skated around the rink like a speed skater in predominantly one direction doing cross overs between her telegraphed jumps.

Um, pretty much all of the choreographed moves in Yu-Na's FS are related to the music. There are plenty of tango elements, such as the choreography after the 3F (boleo--if you don't know what that is, then you should not be commenting anymore on what choreography has to do with music), almost all of the movements in her footwork sequence, some of the moves in her choreographed spiral sequence. But why bother with a breakdown, your mind is clearly made up and it was set against Yu-Na a long time ago.

Btw, your trashing Yu-Na's programs don't improve Adelina's in any way. They are what they are, and they're not to everyone's taste.

Quote me where I said, gave the impression, or inferred any skater was perfection. I can quote a hundred people from this forum saying that about Yuna. My post history is not vast, so it should not take much time to look through it.

I dare you.

Your defensiveness over Adelina's performance in your posts gives the impression that she's perfection, including the claim that her 2Lo was just "overrotated," which was just flat out wrong.

Nater

Match Penalty
Yes and the time to break that alleged tradition is with a russian girl skating clean in Russia, That's very pure

Alleged Tradition? Certainly you aren't that naïve...

Do you only watch skating during the Olympics?

jaylee

Medalist
The bitterness of Yuna and her fans warms my heart. Add to the magical performance of Mao made this result even more awesome.

I'm happy for both Yu-Na and Mao. Yu-Na is a two-time Olympic medalist and held up under immense pressure in the short and free; Mao finished off Sochi by doing her long-desired 8-triple program.

Carolina, too. It's a happy ending for her as well.

jand0387

Rinkside
This is a tribute to Yuna, who, in my heart, really deserved to say goodbye with Gold medal on her hand... And Crowned as a legendary figure alongside Witt and Henie...

In 2010, I don't think there was any doubt that Yuna was in the spotlight and dominated the ice. Her scores at the time was astronomical, but no one said she didn't deserve every bit of that score because she was building up to that climax. During 2009-2010 Olympic season, She has won gold at 2009 Worlds, 4 continents, all of the grand prixs and grand prix final (First woman to accomplish Grand slam). Yes, at the time, her TES was the most difficult - She did have 3Lz-3T combo and 2A-3T(which she didn't have this season), she did level 4 layback back then, and her footwork which was so harshly graded in Sochi Olympics was in best shape, earning level 4. She earned up to 18 GOE points in Free skate - that's how dominating she was. Compared to her glorious days, Yuna definitely may lack power (so it may look like she lost fire or spark so to speak - but come on! Give her a break! I felt really bad for her when she said it takes double even triple efforts to keep up her strength compared to 4 years ago) and due to her back issues, she can't do a level 4 lay-back spin anymore. Her base TES is definitely lower than 2010, and lower than Adelina's. But Yuna's confidence comes from how well she executes those elements, meaning how much GOE she usually gets. It's true, with only 6 triple, there's only so much that can be covered with GOE. And I don't know why she again was awarded only level 3 in step sequence but that lowered her score for sure... So I have no big complaints about TES being lower than Adelina's, although I feel like Yuna could have received a bit more GOE on TES elements and definitely deserved level 4 on Step sequence in Free skate, if not in Short program.

And Let's talk about PCS... Yuna had the most interesting and unique choreography in Vancouver 2010 and even then it was the first time Yuna just barely got a couple 9's - before Olympics, she only got 8's. (And Yuna was one of only few skaters who received 9 in PCS). Ever since, I just feel like PCS of 9's are given out too easy. Sure, a lot has changed since then, and Yuna became more ripe and mature in her skating, and her choreography reflects that. So it may be true when people say that she is not that exciting as before. But her ability to flow right into the music and express/execute a whole piece is definitely the best I feel - Carolina strongly emerged in this Olympics as the artistic and beautiful skater, and I totally agree, but I think Yuna really pulls it off the best. Adelina... she definitely skated with confidence and fire and spark like Yuna 4 years ago, but I felt she could polish a bit more and deserved high 7's and mid 8's but not 9's in PCS...

Now, If Adelina has been building up up to this point (like Yuna during 2010 Olympic season), like maybe winning Grand Prixs and Grand Prix Final or European Championships and has been showing consistent improvement, her nailing the programs and getting that top notch score would feel so right. Of Course, it's all more dramatic how she was shadowed by Julia and suddenly realized her massive potential, but I'm sorry that I gotta say this, you don't get to that level in just one competition.

I've been watching Yuna's growth since she debuted in senior competitions in 2006. She didn't get to where she is today all of a sudden. She's been consistently improving in her figure skating career. It took her a long time to break 70's for short program for the first time, and to break 200 in overall score at 2009 Worlds. She slowly and steadily polished her jumps (they call it textbook for a reason - the distance going in, height, and how she holds her feet tight in air, clean landing...), spins, steps, and her ability to really connect to her program and improve in her PCS. All that journey she had to take - It is not something to be taken for granted and just pushed aside when someone new all of a sudden gave strong performance. Why does it feel like it was so hard for Yuna to get to that level compared to others who came along after Yuna's best days who are benefiting from her pioneering achievements in Figure Skating (like being the first person to receive over 200 overall - now it seems if you are a skater with decent elements and do a clean program, it's not that hard to get over 200 - this may be controversial - I know all skaters do put their best efforts and deserve their scores but I'm just reading the trend of scores easily breaking the 200 margin nowadays) And I feel awful how Yuna, a skater who could have been in that hall of fame of winning two Olympics golds in a row and marked in the legendary category, had to step down from that crown and now has to say goodbye. I will always remember her as a true legend... She was an absolute delight to so many fans out there... Goodbye Queen Yuna... Adios...

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Alleged Tradition? Certainly you aren't that naïve...

Do you only watch skating during the Olympics?

No, That's why i can appreciate good PCS unlike the common viewer who would buy into the Hype today more easily

Not all veterens get high PCS, The good ones do, Cause they're good

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Yet they act as if that isn't the case.

Have you read the thread and seen how they gang up on anyone that disagrees with them. Seen the name calling. Someone just asked me if I was Putin's Gay Lover...

:laugh: I am sure you gave him a cause. :biggrin:

Spinerette

On the Ice
Yuna knows that this is a ploy. She received only a 69 for her sp at last year's world's. This is nonsense. I hope Yuna skates at the next Olympics in her home country. There she could maybe get fair scores.

yuki

Final Flight
Mao should have won the free skate. She had 8 triples including the triple axel with a minor problem. She was also artistic. It's unbelievable that Mao received only 145 and Adelina almost got a 150, LOL. We should have boycotted this silly nonsense in Putin's backyard. Even Polina Edmunds and Valentina Marchei, Akiko, Kanako and Gracie had better artistry at least they skate to the music. It really doesn't matter what Adelina skates to as someone said before here-it's incidental.

It was even better: Mao received 142.71 to Adelina's 149.95. A big part of that difference (4.73 points, to be precise) was from PCS, not TES.

Nater

Match Penalty
Sotnikova won. Case closed. She deserved it.

Gratz on Gracie Gold for her 4th place finish and overcoming her mental roadblocks.

Gratz to Kostner on finally getting onto that Podium.

Gratz to Mao on a great redemption skate.

Gratz to Zhang Kexin for getting at least one triple fully around.

Gratz to Zijun Li for overcoming her Puberty/Motivational issues.

Gratz to Yuna Kim for giving a good performance and actually going to a second Olympics unlike almost every other champion in the recent past.

Gratz to Polina Edmunds for finishing top 10 in her first major world/international competition.

Gratz Wagner on standing up her programs.

Nater

Match Penalty
:laugh: I am sure you gave him a cause. :biggrin:

I'm sure he's just an overzealous fan. I don't really take that personally. I know and understand that some feelings have been crushed today :)

Given the viciousness of their replies, it actually makes me smile a little on the inside.

Hope you guys have a great cry fest at worlds. See you in 2018.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

Gratz on Gracie Gold for her 4th place finish and overcoming her mental roadblocks.

Gratz to Yuna Kim for giving a good performance and actually going to a second Olympics unlike almost every other champion in the recent past.

Gratz to Polina Edmunds for finishing top 10 in her first major world/international competition.

I can work with this (Minus the deserved it part :laugh:)

But only cause i wanna go to sleep already

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm talking about BV. Yuna eats some of it away with GOEs.

In any part of the world, she still would have deserved to win with the performances she gave. It all would have come down to whether the judges were willing to hold up Yuna Kim to gift her the gold.

It's a lot easier to justify holding a skater up than to justify boosting a skater to win a competition they skated well enough to deserve winning.

Especially in a sport like Figure Skating where veterans are usually given unfair PCS advantage over new skaters to mast their inferiority on the technical end (which Kim was, in this case).

Yup, I always have problem with Kim's PCS, not that she did not skate well. The problem is: Is it really necessary giving veterans such high score in PCS? It's practically unfair to younger skaters. Like what happened with Chan and Hanyu in these recents year. I like Chan pretty much, but he fell too many time and his PCS in all competitions have rarely been affected. If you say PCS relate to artistry, then what is artistic about falling? And now they are giving Hanyu high PCS score (not as high as Chan, but relatively) as well. I hope that in the Worlds, the previous TES>PCS will repeat with Hanyu.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

No, she did not. Adelina received, not won it.