2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad to hear that Dai is in the Gala. I so enjoyed his FS, it was a highlight in a night of disappointing skating. You could tell he was enjoying his final Olympics and so grateful to have the opportunity.

mcpatty1

Spectator
Has Jeremy's quotes from today been posted here already? Been bouncing around different boards so it's kind of hard to keep track. Well in case it hasn't been posted, here's some lovely snippets

More quotes here

Ugh, why does Jeremy Abbott make it so hard to like Jeremy Abbott? I was rooting for him after his free skate and then I hear him open his mouth and it's like :disapp:

wORST U.S. National champion EVER! has any US men's National champion had worse results internationally? Being an Olympian is a privilege, paid for by our government and donors, we want to be proud of you, not tool our eyes in disgust whenever you perform, give someone else a chance at worlds so U.S. Can get back to three more appreciative world spots.

mcpatty1

Spectator
:yay: :party2: indeed!! This has made my day :D even when Dai's jumps are off he is amazing to watch. Ain't no one right now who can match his musicality and his ability to dance! (Well, possibly Jason, if you give him a bit of time, but Dai is my sentimental favourite)

lOVE him! Thanks for the info!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
wORST U.S. National champion EVER! has any US men's National champion had worse results internationally? Being an Olympian is a privilege, paid for by our government and donors, we want to be proud of you, not tool our eyes in disgust whenever you perform, give someone else a chance at worlds so U.S. Can get back to three more appreciative world spots.

He won the Grand Prix Final. That's hardly something many American men have ever done.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He won the Grand Prix Final. That's hardly something many American men have ever done.

It is kind of sad that is the probably the biggest highlight of his career internationally. It's worth noting that his personal best before the FS Friday was at this event, which speaks to how much he's underperformed since that amazing performance back in 2008.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Because it was asked ... but i cant find the post ...

Michael Christian Martinez (Philippines) 19th in Sochi will take part at the 2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championship in Sofia. (source is from the Philippines news media)

vtgal

Rinkside
Just was curious so did a little checking. Looked back at the records of all the US men's champions. Discounted a few who only have one championship like Ryan Bradley and Max Aaron (though Rudy Galindo only won once and was a bronze World medalist). The most recent multiple men's champion who was often criticized (for various reasons) while competing was Johnny Weir. Johnny wasn't my favorite (I prefered Evan Lysacek) but he was far more successful internationally than Jeremy. World Bronze medalist, never finished worse than 8th at the world championships, and finished 5th and 6th at his two Olympics. The last US men's champion (3 times or more) who never won a world medal was Gordon McKellan way back in the early 1970s. Jeremy has been a headcase for years and I hope he decides not to go to World's. Time to move on. He would have been a good show skater, I think, but he's never been a great competitor. And, no matter what he or anyone in the press says, he did not "earn redemption" in Sochi. He actually finished in worse position here than in Vancouver for heaven's sakes!

sweetskates1

Medalist
Jeremy underperformed internationally his whole career. He is probably one of the greatest skaters ever - thankfully we have YouTube videos of flawless performances to look back to. Sigh*

It is kind of sad that is the probably the biggest highlight of his career internationally. It's worth noting that his personal best before the FS Friday was at this event, which speaks to how much he's underperformed since that amazing performance back in 2008.

emma

Record Breaker
Because it was asked ... but i cant find the post ...

Michael Christian Martinez (Philippines) 19th in Sochi will take part at the 2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championship in Sofia. (source is from the Philippines news media)

I asked (like a zillion pages ago!!), so thanks so much for this information!!!! so, now this makes me want to ask, why junionrs - but maybe the worlds folder is better for this? I'll ask there!

jace93

On the Ice
I don't know if this is the case but many skaters from country with very little depth often went to both junoir world and senior in the same year (ie denis ten, carolina kostner, fernandez too Ithink, but I'm not sure)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wish they had more rest between the Sp and the Fs then maybe we would have had better results. Maybe they should do the short dance after the men's sp then have the men do the fs. Imagine how much better it would be with some rest.
Kevin Reynolds would disagree.

Kevin Reynolds doesn't fully rotate his quads, so, no. If someone actually could rotate Quad Lutz/Flip, though, it's worth an immense amount of points with fall right now.

Spinerette

On the Ice
I like Yan Han's skating too. I think Maxim Kovtun will do well too. And Joshua Farris is coming up and also Nathan Chen.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm already a Jason uber. I have great faith in Joshua Farris and think once Nathan Chen hits Seniors we're in for a golden era of US men's skating.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The 3rd one wasn't. Callers just ignore pre-rotation a lot of the time.

Can we just stop with the whole pre-rotation thing? Lets just focus on landings, as I'm sure several quads would be dinged for pre-rotation. Pre-rotation is part of jumping. It's not like he does toe axels or something. As somebody who always defends Murakami, you sure get hung up about other skaters' rotation issues.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
PHP:

On a second thoughts, I would love to see Plushenko train Hanyu. If this kid moves to Plushenko, we would have a chances seeing Plushenko the king carrying around a Winnie the Pooh tissue box. I would pay any price to see that happens.:laugh:

Oh god no. What are you gonna suggest next, he goes to Joanne McLeod to home his jumping skills? :p

Although the tissue box visual would be worth it, lol.