2015-16 Ice Dance and 2016-17 SD Requirements released | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Ice Dance and 2016-17 SD Requirements released

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I know I am in the minority but I never liked the CD, the music wouldn't leave my head after listening to the same cuts for hours (which was one of my big gripes about the Paso this season). I miss the variety of the OD. The intent of the SD may have been good but the execution hasn't been. In its 5 seasons there are only a few SD worth rewatching IMHO.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://www.ice-dance.com/main/images/stories/pdf/compulsory/MidnightBlues.pdf

The Midnight Blues was last used as a Junior Dance in the 2006-2007 season, so very few of the teams will have competed it. It was used in Seniors for three years between 2002-2003 and 2005-2006. Weaver & Poje and Bobrova & Soloviev will have learned it together for their junior 2006-2007 season. Piper Gilles, Madison Hubbell, Paul Poirier, and Evan Bates will have done it in juniors, but with other partners. Cappellini & Lanotte were in seniors when the juniors were doing it and in juniors when the seniors were doing it.

Virtue/Moir's Blues CD at 2005 Junior Worlds:

Caveat: based on Doris' post, I guess it was the Blues CD (not Midnight Blues) -- but it's one of my favorite vids of early V/M.
Happy to have an excuse to re-watch it :popcorn: :).

Layback11

Record Breaker
All this talk of CDs is making me wish I had been watching skating when they were around! šŸ˜” I watched the OD from the 2010 Olympics on YouTube, thought, and that was really fun. If anything, I would think they should bring that back.

Lota

Record Breaker
I'm not the biggest fan of the SD, but I really did not enjoy watching the CDs back in the day. Nostalgia is one thing, and I miss the OD for sure, but... You'd watch your favourites to see if they did well, but watching the whole thing was kinda torturous at times :drama:

dress

On the Ice
I love that they are bringing back the in hold for next years. It's ice dance not pairs without jump lol

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
It is really weird where they want to take ice dance to. In my opinion the 07-10 quad structure were the best to watch. It was probably the most demanding quad technically. One more program, more lifts etc., but everyone managed fine. This season with partial pattern sequence and one less lift plus a choreo spin/lift choice all the dances look notably watered down.
The partial pattern sequence was because the Paso Doble sequence was shorter, and doing the same sequence twice would make the dance look too monotone. Probably you noticed that the Finnstep sequence was longer and quite varied throughout. As for the FD, apparently one lift was taken out and the choreo spin option was given to make ice dancing look more like dance.

In FD each team is only allowed to do one kind of lift once and many are level 4 but look too easy. There will never be an I/K swan lake kind of program again.
Yes, I/K's two similar lifts were great and very effective, but most teams were not using two similar looking straight line or curve lifts anyway. Also, apart from the lifts, I/K's FD really lacked transitions. Lifts, although the most "acrobatic" part of ice dancing, are not the only elements that make it difficult - those are also steps, transitions (including transitional steps and changes of holds), twizzles (where so many teams make mistakes which shows how difficult they actually are), and even spins.

While P/C's Mozart is a great program otherwise, their lifts are not very strong.
"Strong" lifts are not just very acrobatic looking lifts with many rapid changes of positions. What's more, such lifts can't be called strong if they are not well executed, and for the most part such lifts won't receive good marks even despite the difficulty. On the other hand, lifts that look comparatively easy/not so acrobatic are definitely strong if they are well executed (which includes execution right on music - if they are choreographed that way, of course). Part of what makes P/C's lifts look so easy is their ease of execution - no noticeable effort at all. Which is how lifts of a high level team should look. Even Virtue/Moir and Davis/White sometimes had some problems with that, though. Yes, some of their lifts could be considered more difficult than what Papadakis/Cizeron is doing - we'll see how P/C will fare with different/new lifts.

Last edited:

Ekm

On the Ice
I hope they will keep the pattern dances. It's a great way to compare the couples.

Maybe I'm weird, but I miss the old format with the CD, OD, FD.

Am I the only one?

I miss it too, but I'm not entirely sure that much of that doesn't come from missing a good number of the teams that competed under that format.