2015 Europeans Ladies Short Program Jan 29 | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Ladies Short Program Jan 29

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I would vote against Yuka as Anna's coach, even if that were possible. Yuka's top students, Alissa and Jeremy are both weak mentally.

Alba

Record Breaker
I would vote against Yuka as Anna's coach, even if that were possible. Yuka's top students, Alissa and Jeremy are both weak mentally.

I was thinking more about the choreo tbh, but then again Jeremy does his own. So, go to Jeremy for the choreo. Anna. :biggrin:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Just imagine if Anna Pogo could work with someone like Frank Carroll to improve her presentation. She is a beautiful girl and her jumps are very good, but the rest, no. She is kind of like a diamond in the rough that needs to be cut and polished.

First, pretty princess package would suit Anna no better than it suits Gracie. And if I imagine her skating with the plastic smile to one of generic girly program which kill any presonality of a skater... sorry, I don't like that image. Second, would she be born in the US or Canada she would most likely have a flawed jumping technique instead of solid one she has now, and who knows where she would be. It's not a secret that US ladies struggle with underrotations, and Gracie is exception because she had a former Soviet coach who gave her these solid jumps, and yet Carroll found the way to turn them from exceptional to nice, but nothing special ones. Another reason why I would never ever want to see Anna in his group

alebi

Medalist
I didn't post anymore when the last group started but I want to express my surprise for how well the Helgessons skated (I was wondering who could break the 60 points score and Viki succeded deservedly). In general it was a very pleasant group outside the obvious Russian girls :) And I think both Kiira and Victoria deserved at least 30 PCS points. I mean, Elena, Anna and Liza have amazing skating skills, the best by far, but in terms of IN and PE and they were not so superior. It's only a different kind of program: Kiira and Victoria are more polished and elegant and suit the music so well (and to me Kiira had also a "burning fire" during her routine). They try to "make" the music instead of follow it. While Anna, Elena and Liza do more movements... too many movements for me... I could only remember Elena's arms here and there during the whole performance (like an octopus :p). And Anna really need to be more polished. She has the potential to be a stunning skater, but now she's really so rough as someone else already said here. She has beautiful long legs and arms and need to extend them more... sometimes her legs look like a load she doesn't know where to put it. Elena is really "musical", you can understand how "in" she is when she skates, but, as I said, I'm not a fan of the "move your arms at every music beat" program :laugh: (à la Kovtun). And in general she doesn't have a very good posture (her head, neck and shoulders are "strange" when she skates). Liza is amazing when she jumps, she seems a spring, everytime I was :eek: But to me her programs look always the same.. If only she could work with a high level choreographer.

In general it was a better competition than the men'. The average level was pretty high. While the top level is still only in the Russian girls' hands.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi is so pretty that it's distracting. I focus on looking at her face instead of her skating.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I didn't post anymore when the last group started but I want to express my surprise for how well the Helgessons skated (I was wondering who could break the 60 points score and Viki succeded deservedly). In general it was a very pleasant group outside the obvious Russian girls And I think both Kiira and Victoria deserved at least 30 PCS points. I mean, Elena, Anna and Liza have amazing skating skills, the best by far, but in terms of IN and PE and they were not so superior. It's only a different kind of program: Kiira and Victoria are more polished and elegant and suit the music so well (and to me Kiira had also a "burning fire" during her routine). They try to "make" the music instead of follow it. While Anna, Elena and Liza do more movements... too many movements for me... I could only remember Elena's arms here and there during the whole performance (like an octopus ). And Anna really need to be more polished. She has the potential to be a stunning skater, but now she's really so rough as someone else already said here. She has beautiful long legs and arms and need to extend them more... sometimes her legs look like a load she doesn't know where to put it. Elena is really "musical", you can understand how "in" she is when she skates, but, as I said, I'm not a fan of the "move your arms at every music beat" program (à la Kovtun). And in general she doesn't have a very good posture (her head, neck and shoulders are "strange" when she skates). Liza is amazing when she jumps, she seems a spring, everytime I was But to me her programs look always the same.. If only she could work with a high level choreographer.

I totally agree. Viktoria was just superb, everything worked in this woman's work :biggrin: Great interpretation, control, posture, arm movements - everything was astonishingly good! I loved her program if she skates it that way. And her layback is so cute and elegant. This was definitely my favourite performance of the competition.

alebi

Medalist
I totally agree. Viktoria was just superb, everything worked in this woman's work :biggrin: Great interpretation, control, posture, arm movements - everything was astonishingly good! I loved her program if she skates it that way. And her layback is so cute and elegant. This was definitely my favourite performance of the competition.

I'm always happy when I see a skater who was struggling, suddenly (at home!) do everything in such a beautiful way!
The free is always tricky for a skater coming from a hard time (I'm thinking about Kiira and both the Helgs) but I hope they can keep this level.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree with you there. I don't think Anna is better than Liza in spins, although she is faster, but her positions are just bad.
Nevertheless, I was surprised with Anna here. I think she had improved a lot since nationals, which is a pretty short time. This was the best performance I've seen from her.

I agree this is the best I've seen from anna, and I don't mean to knock her down, but she is hands down the worst spinner in elite ladies skating. Her spins are often out of control looking and her positions are awful. This is the number one thing I think she could improve on and I wish she would, because I do think between the SP and LP, she is losing significant points, especially since she also often does not hit level 4.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am so upset over yesterday's placings - how the hell Elena can be ahead of Lisa? I think the new system does not reward quality, I have a feeling in 6.0 system Lisa would have won. A lot was said about Elena 's spins but I fail to see whats wrong with Lisa's spins - well centred, eye pleasing positions, not as fast as Elena's but matching the music perfectly. Lisa's jumps are light years ahead but not rewarded properly, it is depressing to the point that I feel I don't want to watch fs anymore. And to make matters worse, I forgot in the heat of the moment to mute Elena's performance as I normally do and that horrible music was in my head all night driving me mad...

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi is so pretty that it's distracting. I focus on looking at her face instead of her skating.

My Kiira Korpi video from the Ladies SP yesterday has more views than any others of the ladies, even Elena and Liza.

taltaltel

On the Ice
I am so upset over yesterday's placings - how the hell Elena can be ahead of Lisa? I think the new system does not reward quality, I have a feeling in 6.0 system Lisa would have won. A lot was said about Elena 's spins but I fail to see whats wrong with Lisa's spins - well centred, eye pleasing positions, not as fast as Elena's but matching the music perfectly. Lisa's jumps are light years ahead but not rewarded properly, it is depressing to the point that I feel I don't want to watch fs anymore. And to make matters worse, I forgot in the heat of the moment to mute Elena's performance as I normally do and that horrible music was in my head all night driving me mad...

I thought Elena was actually clearly the worst out of the top 3, don't think she should have broken 70 with that terrible program :slink: The music continues to be terrible - how any judge can give THAT mess 8.50 for choreography is just beyond me. Her jumps were also very shaky (she got +2s for that 3Lz-3T?! Others would have been raking in -2!) And i mean that 2A was as unimpressive as they come - 0 would be about the right GOE, not +2. Absolutely ridiculous.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My Kiira Korpi video from the Ladies SP yesterday has more views than any others of the ladies, even Elena and Liza.

I watched it right after you posted it. Kiira is just stunning. How is it that, training in Southern California, she hasn't been discovered by the film industry? I want her to star in a movie called The Sonja Henie Story. She even has the Scandinavian accent. :)

Last edited:

taltaltel

On the Ice
And what other skaters are you thinking of who would have been attempting that combo here??

I don't think many skaters would have gotten a +2 when they almost fell over on landing the first part of the combo. Credit to Elena where credit is due of course - it is incredible that she still managed to fit a clean 3T after it.

CutieP

On the Ice
I thought Elena was actually clearly the worst out of the top 3, don't think she should have broken 70 with that terrible program :slink: The music continues to be terrible - how any judge can give THAT mess 8.50 for choreography is just beyond me. Her jumps were also very shaky (she got +2s for that 3Lz-3T?! Others would have been raking in -2!) And i mean that 2A was as unimpressive as they come - 0 would be about the right GOE, not +2. Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't understand either why all the judges seem to agree that Elena is technically brilliant. And a surprisingly good interpreter for her age. It's been like this the whole season. And all the TV experts that I've found seem to agree with all this. It must be a conspiracy! :think:

I bet this goes all the way to the white house:mad: Damn you Obama!!!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Elena would still be ahead under 6.0, because 6.0 loves difficult combinations. And what 6.0 cares about isn't so much doing pretty jumps, but doing clean jumps and avoiding those costly mandatory SP deductions. For instance, Elena's Skate America SP with the two-footed combo would place behind Liza's (and it did under COP too). But here Elena just had a bad landing--she didn't put her second foot down, as far as I can tell. Her superior spins (though I agree there's nothing majorly wrong with Liza's) would seal the deal. Liza would win the second mark, but the technical was the tiebreaker for the SP.

But here's the thing: It wouldn't really matter who placed first under 6.0. ;) Whoever wins the LP would win the event. I can certainly see Liza winning that (Having one less double toe compared to her old layout wouldn't hurt her too much--she's still doing seven triples, two lutzes, and two double axels. Elena might still win the first mark because of her two 3-3s, but here the second mark is the tiebreaker).

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think Elena would still be ahead under 6.0, because 6.0 loves difficult combinations. And what 6.0 cares about isn't so much doing pretty jumps, but doing clean jumps and avoiding those costly mandatory SP deductions. For instance, Elena's Skate America SP with the two-footed combo would place behind Liza's (and it did under COP too). But here Elena just had a bad landing--she didn't put her second foot down, as far as I can tell. Her superior spins (though I agree there's nothing majorly wrong with Liza's) would seal the deal. Liza would win the second mark, but the technical was the tiebreaker for the SP.

But here's the thing: It wouldn't really matter who placed first under 6.0. ;) Whoever wins the LP would win the event. I can certainly see Liza winning that (Having one less double toe compared to her old layout wouldn't hurt her too much--she's still doing seven triples, two lutzes, and two double axels. Elena might still win the first mark because of her two 3-3s, but here the second mark is the tiebreaker).

I hope you are right, fingers crossed for lp, Elena's turn will come but now I want Lisa to win!!!