2015 US Nationals Senior Free Dance Jan. 24 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Free Dance Jan. 24

GF2445

Record Breaker
American Ice Dance is in good hands and the crowd really enjoyed it from what I could see on the video stream...could it become a little more popular ??

GGFan

Record Breaker
I still find it so unbelievable that the US has come this far in dance. It gives me hope for our pairs.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I'm a big H/D fan, but to be honest, I think H/B should have beaten them tonight.

They were really, really polished. Well done for first year seniors... or for anyone, for that matter.

I'm with you in this. But at the same time, H/B still has years ahead of them and their future is extremely bright. I'm sure they would have a lot of chances in the future. H/D will always be my sentimental favorite even though I don't like their free dance this year.

matcha

Medalist
i happened to prefer the jazzy/hiphop Chock/Bates and Hubble/Donahue than lyrical/emotional Maia/Alex and Hawayek/Baker this time. :D

I'm the opposite. C/B are obviously v. talented skaters but it seems all surface, no depth re. their free. H/D I thought lacked coherence. It felt like a messy exhibition to me. But I'm totally aware that there's most definitely a bias because I prefer the Shibs and Hawayek/Baker over both, especially H/D who leave me particularly cold.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
I was expecting to see something really great, but instead I'm disappointed. The changes in costuming gives them a more open accessible look, Maia is very elegant as always, but the dance still does not sing to me. The new choreography still looks rough and they are not matching the intensity and tempo changes in the music. I think honestly they are bored with skating this style. They need something more modern and edgy, tongue and cheek. Their SD and gala this year are really, really cool. I hope they shake it up like that next season because I like them, even though I'm not really enthused about this FD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVlu6xVcI8c

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm a big H/D fan, but to be honest, I think H/B should have beaten them tonight.

They were really, really polished. Well done for first year seniors... or for anyone, for that matter.

I certainly would of had no problems with that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was expecting to see something really great, but instead I'm disappointed. The changes in costuming gives them a more open accessible look, Maia is very elegant as always, but the dance still does not sing to me. The new choreography still looks rough and they are not matching the intensity and tempo changes in the music. I think honestly they are bored with skating this style. They need something more modern and edgy, tongue and cheek. Their SD and gala this year are really, really cool. I hope they shake it up like that next season because I like them, even though I'm not really enthused about this FD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVlu6xVcI8c

Aw, I'm bummed you're disappointed. The step sequences and lifts are new, so maybe it will look better as we get later in the season and with some more mileage.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I'm the opposite. C/B are obviously v. talented skaters but it seems all surface, no depth re. their free. H/B I thought lacked coherence. It felt like a messy exhibition to me. But I'm totally aware that there's most definitely a bias because I prefer the Shibs and Hawayek/Baker over both, especially H/B who leave me particularly cold.

I think Hubble is very sexy today:love: so I like them a bit more. I also think H/B lacks coherence, but I think it mainly is due to the incohesive composition of that music/music editing.

matcha

Medalist
I think Hubble is very sexy today:love: so I like them a bit more. I also think H/B lacks coherence, but I think it mainly is due to the incohesive composition of that music/music editing.

Yes, I do think you're right, especially when it changes into the third and final song, like, yikes.

I feel like some skaters don't seem to recognise how awful editing can work against them. I think the worst music editing this season has to go to Pogorilaya for Firebird, though they fixed it up a little, eventually.

Last edited:

Tesla

Final Flight
I'm the opposite. C/B are obviously v. talented skaters but it seems all surface, no depth re. their free. H/B I thought lacked coherence. It felt like a messy exhibition to me. But I'm totally aware that there's most definitely a bias because I prefer the Shibs and Hawayek/Baker over both, especially H/B who leave me particularly cold.

H/D. It's H/D, Hubbell and Donohue. Unless you are referring to Hawayek and Baker.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watching the Ice Dance news conference: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v37129375

Lynn asked a good question about the challenges C/B faced when the first got together. I have to think about the fact, regardless of how you feel about this time, I do give them credit for the improvements they've made in the last few years. They really worked hard these last few years.

I really like how humble Evan is being doing this whole process. He's stating that "It's just one championship. It's not a legacy."

bramweld

Record Breaker
Aw, I'm bummed you're disappointed. The step sequences and lifts are new, so maybe it will look better as we get later in the season and with some more mileage.

Probably that's part of it. But I do think they have outgrown these sorts of programs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maia just said. "Our next goal is the 2018 Olympics." Glad to hear that. :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Probably that's part of it. But I do think they have outgrown these sorts of programs.

Yes, perhaps they will need to move on. But considering they weren't even thinking of continuing to start with, perhaps they needed programs within their comfort zone, something where they could build confidence. There's still plenty of season left and plenty of years left in this quad.

Last edited: