2016-2017 Ladies Power Rankings | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Ladies Power Rankings

randomfan

Record Breaker
Well, it's almost that time of the year again, when the season is close to over (we still have World Team Trophy to go). Usually, here on GS, someone starts a thread that ranks skaters on their achievements of the season, but I couldn't find the previous one so I decided to start a new thread.

So how do you think the ladies standings should be in terms of how they rank based on their achievements this season? You may also choose to include juniors even though I didn't. Since I only follow ladies a lot, feel free to start your own thread on this for the other disciplines.

This is my list (sorry for how long it is)...
1. Evgenia Medvedeva: Evgenia has now dominated two seasons in a row. She was by far the most successful skater this season, winning everything she entered by margins of 9 points or higher (though this is usually due to odd judging...). No question about this one.
2. Kaetlyn Osmond: After a somewhat unsatisfying 2015-2016 season, Kaetlyn is now surely one of the top skaters. A win at Finlandia, then capturing silvers at her GPs to qualify for the GPF and placing a nice 4th was a great achievement. She won Nationals and 4CC was a disappointment, but she rebounded to become the World Silver Medalist! It'll be interesting to see how she keeps up with this reputation next season.
3. Anna Pogorilaya: Anna started off a little shaky at the Japan Open and Finlandia, but her GP season was excellent, winning both her events and a bronze at the GPF. She was off the podium at Nationals but won the silver at Euros, and we all know what happened at Worlds...:slink:. Still, thanks to her achievements before Worlds, Anna was able to hang on to 3rd on my list.
I had a lot of trouble with deciding for #4, 5, and 6 among the following three skaters, so I put a lot of thought into the next three.
4. Satoko Miyahara: Yes, she missed 2017, but before that Satoko was still great. She still qualified for the GPF and placed a great 2nd and then won the national title. Had she been at 4CC and Worlds with no injury, she could have shuffled the placements by a lot, which still puts her high on my list.
5. Gabrielle Daleman: Gabby had an okay GP season, but an incredible 2017. She won the silver at Nationals and 4CC but of course the biggest moment was winning the bronze at Worlds. Gabby is finally on everyone's radar and she will enter the next season as one of the ones to look out for.
6. Mai Mihara: Mai did well in her GP debut, being one of the alternates for the GPF. She then won a bronze medal at Nationals and surprised everyone by winning the gold at 4CC. Then her amazing jump from 15th to 5th at Worlds really saved her (though help from others was needed). With Satoko out, Mai has solidified herself as the top Japanese lady of the season.
7. Maria Sotskova: Maria had a strong debut on the GP, even making the GPF and having solid performances. She won the (somewhat controversial?) bronze at Nationals but fell out of the podium at Euros. Worlds was a little better, but still not enough to make a splash and she placed 8th. But considering that Maria had just debuted on the senior field, this was still a pretty good season for her.
8. Carolina Kostner: This was a surprisingly good comeback for Carolina. She is the class of the field when it comes to maturity, beauty, and grace, which helped her PCS this season. A win at Golden Spin, a close bronze at Euros, and a solid 6th place at Worlds is a very impressive result for a comeback skater.
9. Ashley Wagner: Compared to last season, this one fell flat. Her poor result at Cup of China made her Skate America win kinda pointless and it costed her a spot for the GPF. She came back strong at Nationals but only managed a silver medal, and Worlds was not a good event for her. Ashley is one to always come back fierce when she feels behind, so I have a feeling that she'll be very determined now.
10. Karen Chen: Her GP season wasn't too good, but she turned it all around at Nationals, winning the gold. She went back down at 4CC, but Worlds was an amazing competition for her. Karen may have had a bad start, but her fantastic finish is what got her into the top 10 on this list.

Honourable Mentions...
11. Elena Radionova: Missing the Euros and World team was a bummer, but her GP season and a win at Universiade is what puts her here.
12. Wakaba Higuchi: An okay senior debut, starting off good at the GP and Nationals, but her results at the last two events brought her down.
13. Dabin Choi: A weak first half of the season, but a good second half, placing 5th at 4CC, winning the Asian Winter Games, and finishing in the top 10 at Worlds.
14. Elizabet Tursynbaeva: Though her GP season and Worlds result were both a little better than Choi's, her low placement at 4CC and finishing behind Choi at the Asian Winter Games puts her here.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Alina Zagitova
3. Satako Miyahara
4. Marin Honda
5. Anna Pogorilaya
6. Kaetlyn Osmond
7. Karen Chen

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Well, it depends on whether we're ranking them by their accomplishments this season or by how well we think they'll do next season.

Based on accomplishments this season:
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Kaetlyn Osmond
3. Anna Pogorilaya
4. Gabby Daleman
5. Mai Mihara
6. Maria Sotskova
7. Satoko Miyahara
8. Karen Chen
9. Dabin Choi
10. Carolina Kostner

Rankings for Next season:
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Alina Zagitova
3. Satoko Miyahara
4. Marin Honda
5. Mai Mihara
6. Anna Pogorilaya
7. Kaetlyn Osmond
8. Gabby Daleman
9. Carolina Kostner
10. Maria Sotskova

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Masha gets more unique and powerful programs next year. She could really move up on some of these lists if she plays to her strengths. I hope she challenges for an Olympic birth. She seems calm and poised. Now let's see some fire!!

I'm not sure of my list now but probably something like this.

1) Zhenya
2) Alina
3) Satoko
4) Anna (probably interchangeable with Kaetlyn but a bit more proven maybe)
5) Kaetlyn
6) Karen
7) Mai
7) Masha
9) Ashley
10) Caro

* If Polina comes back next season and hits her stride she could be US #1 and challenge top 3. Not sure if she'll return though but the footage she posts on Insta makes her PCS look intact and reaching new heights!

Speaking of Polina.....what about Tsurkskaya? Is she going senior?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
1) Zhenya
2) Alina
3) Satoko
4) Kaetlyn
5) Anna
6) Gabrielle
7) Mai
7) Marin
9) Wakaba
10) Alaine :) nya nya .. just want to put her there to create trouble ;) or Lil Bet with her 4S :)

I put many Japanese girls because I think they will push each other in a positive way ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
1. Evgenia
2. Katelyn
3. Alina
4. Mai
5. Anna
6. Gabby
7. Ashley
8. Satoko
9. Carolina
10. Karen

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gotta LOL at some of the list. Maria over Carolina? In all their head to head match up, Maria was not even close. Maria is not even going to make the team next year. Get a dose of reality when you make list, please.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gotta LOL at some of the list. Maria over Carolina? In all their head to head match up, Maria was not even close. Maria is not even going to make the team next year. Get a dose of reality when you make list, please.

yup... that's why i didn't put either of them on my list. :) this is for entertainment purposes you know...

I remember you telling us that since the WC were in Europe, Caro was going to medal for sure... and that Osmond would do a repeat of 4CC ... so you know what, i will trust my crystal ball before i trust yours....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Jumps shaky, no lutz, and not getting any younger. Saved by her PCS at Worlds, and like Mao in a come back, these will only take a skater so far. I am with you 4everchan.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
1. Medvedeva. That's the only sure one. Just a year ago we asked ourselves the question: "who can beat clean Medvedeva?" This season the question is irrelevant.

2. Zagitova. 208 in juniors will be easily 220+ in seniors if she keeps building up her momentum.

3. Miahara. Provided she is healthy she is reliable and keeps getting better. I was impressed by her Star wars FS although before I thought she was as boring as a skater can be. If she is back she is Japan's #1 and this means power.

4. Osmond. Judges love her. 6 triples in FS, 3 flutzes, and she still gets 218 for clean skating. If she is consistent she will overtake Satoko as #3.

5. Pogorilaya. She has it all. She just bombed big time once but she "chose" the wrong one to bomb. She has to show good results next GP otherwise she is out.

6. Honda.

7. Kostner

8. Wagner

9. Radionova

10. Chen

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
4. Osmond. Judges love her. 6 triples in FS, 3 flutzes, and she still gets 218 for clean skating.

Play it again Sam! Like we have not heard your conspiracy theory before. Don't you get tired of your REPEATS? We all have!

Kaetlyn Osmond skates her heart out, with her best 2 programs of the season and again all you do is ridicule. Funny how the Technical Panel and you, never see eye to eye? They must be sooo wrong with edge calls. Thank God you are here! :rolleye:

Also, just as a reminder, 6 Triples were good enough for Yuna Kim to become Olympic Champion; Ashley Wagner lands 5 clean triples in her LP in Boston, and was World Silver medalists, but Kaetlyn Osmond landing 6 Triples in Helsinki and on the World Podium...Blasphemy! :dev2:

Please Sam ...get over yourself, everyone else has!

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
yup... that's why i didn't put either of them on my list. :) this is for entertainment purposes you know...

I remember you telling us that since the WC were in Europe, Caro was going to medal for sure... and that Osmond would do a repeat of 4CC ... so you know what, i will trust my crystal ball before i trust yours....

Uhm, I'm rolling [eyes, on the ground whatever] at the number of posts that have excluded Gabby Daleman. :rolleye: :rofl:

Guess, folks still have this odd idea that Canada can only create and promote one woman in singles at a time....uh, no.

But by the numbers, Gabby has steadily improved during the season, showing she's getting comfortable in the international elite milieu. Two 4th places in the GPs led to a 'not 4th again' reaction at TdF, which she used to get her to medals at her next two ISU events: 4CC and Worlds.

Gabby won't be looking back, she's hugged Zhenia in the green room and defined herself as belonging there. And Gabby is long past letting others' ideas about her define her. Listen to her calling out to the naysayers of her childhood...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_m...v=kRcxL2HTI0E&utm_campaign=buffer&app=desktop

Meanwhile Kaetlyn's eyes are on closing the gap with Zhenia.......And Alaine's already got her new SP choreographed...

berry8

Final Flight
I'm sad when I see posters belittling skaters because of their nationality...
Really... I think we should enjoy the love for ice skating rather than behaving like bullies

- Medvedeva. Clearly the winner in terms of accomplishments.
- Zagitova. She has won every competition she has entered minus her second GP assignment (Rika Kihara won that event).
- Daleman. I find this girl majestic on ice. I am in love with her power and her energy!
- Mihara. She won over a clean Pogorilaya at GPF !
- Osmond. World silver medalist.
- Pogorilaya. With a clean SP she did not score higher that Osmond and Daleman.
- Kostner. I am sad to say that she is not a reliable skater. She is such a kind and calm person though!!
- Chen.
- Wagner.
- Radianova.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Play it again Sam! Like we have not heard your conspiracy theory before. Don't you get tired of your REPEATS? We all have!

Kaetlyn Osmond skates her heart out, with her best 2 programs of the season and again all you do is ridicule. Funny how the Technical Panel and you, never see eye to eye? They must be sooo wrong with edge calls. Thank God you are here! :rolleye:

Also, just as a reminder, 6 Triples were good enough for Yuna Kim to become Olympic Champion; Ashley Wagner lands 5 clean triples in her LP in Boston, and was World Silver medalists, but Kaetlyn Osmond landing 6 Triples in Helsinki and on the World Podium...Blasphemy! :dev2:

Please Sam ...get over yourself, everyone else has!

Wow, some much emotion! And they blame the Russians for that!

What conspiracy theories? Didn't I state the obvious? Don't judges love her? Didn't she have 6 triples? Doesn't she flutz? Didn't she have 218? These are facts. Same as Medvedeva's flutz. And because of these facts combined I placed her 4th in the overall power rankings. And I would place her 3rd ahead of Miyahara if she were more consistent. And I would place her second if she had 7 triples even with flutz. First? Never at least this season.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Wow, some much emotion! And they blame the Russians for that!

What conspiracy theories? Didn't I state the obvious? Don't judges love her? Didn't she have 6 triples? Doesn't she flutz? Didn't she have 218? These are facts. Same as Medvedeva's flutz. And because of these facts combined I placed her 4th in the overall power rankings. And I would place her 3rd ahead of Miyahara if she were more consistent. And I would place her second if she had 7 triples even with flutz. First? Never at least this season.

She got 218 because she earned it, case closed and no STILL about it. Re your ongoing flutz theory, go back and she how many time she competed and was called for an illegal edge? You are repeating a false narrative.

The only flutz here is your defense. Funny you don't criticism any others in your Top 10 except for Kaetlyn, putting doubt on her score and her jumps in question.

Unbelievable, you are, how can anyone ever take you seriously.

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist

Maria got beaten by Carolina twice this year, but probably that would reverse the next year if Maria had a chance to be on the Russian team. Which probably will not happen, so we don't know... :)

The list based on the entire season:
1. Evgenia
2. Alina
3. Anna
4. Satoko
5. Kaetlyn
6. Mai
7. Gabby
8. Elena R
9. Karen
10. Maria

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
1. Evgenia
2. Kaetlyn
3. Gabby
4. Satoko
5. Anna
6. Mai
7. Aline
8. Alaine C. will be in the Power Rankings after next season
9. Elena R.
10. Karen
11. Maria

Last edited:

bobbob

Medalist
8. Alaine C.
Did Alaine do anything at all this season to warrant an 8th spot, ahead of Carolina, Marin H, Ashley W, Elena R, Karen, Maria...some if them didn't have great seasons but at least they had a chance... In her three major outings, Alaine finished 11th at four continents, 10th at NHK, 5th at GPCan.

Anyways, conseridering performances this year as well as overall potential for next season, I would say
1. Evgenia
2. Alina
3. Katelyn
4. Satoko
5. Anna
6. Gabby
7. Mai
8. Carolina
9. Elena R
10. Marin H

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ Alaine had an off year, Bob, and her results this year were by no means indicative of her talents. With 3 secured places for both Worlds and Olympics, I am looking at her repeating similar performances as Nationals 2016.