2016 Four Continents Short Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Short Dance

LadyB

Record Breaker
Shibs and WeaPo so close together! It's gonna be a nailbiter, not just when you love both pairs like me. :gclap:
I'm a bit disappointed for G/P, keep my fingers crossed for them in the FD.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've only watched Chock and Bates so far, but I can see why they scored so low. The performance was lethargic, almost a "jet lag" skate. Take a look at the RW pattern, particularly about halfway through the pattern. It doesn't have nearly the same speed or ice coverage it normally does. So I'm not surprised they didn't hit all the key points. And Evan knew it and Igor knew it was a tentative performance--just look at their faces at the end of the performance. Something is up with those two that is throwing them for a loop. Maybe it's an injury they're telling no one about. I would bet cold hard cash on it. Because it's like they're having a sophomore slump year now. And it's a shame because that is a lovely lovely program. Who knew they'd have such a knack for uber-traditional ballroom dancing? I'd love to see a complete FD in that style from them.

YMMV of course.

slider11

Medalist
wow! Good for Satoko and Kanako! And super-wow for Mirai! Solid with some really nice artistry. I still think Mirai is getting under scored for her spins and some very nice footwork. But I'll take third and hope that the love blossoms during the short.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Weaver and Poje were robbed again on the TES by the biased Judy blumberg like i said before, the powers that be will make sure they never win or get their due easily trounced the shibs in PCS but second ridiculous.

Only WeaPo are holding WeaPo down. They flatly need to get better to compete with the 'top' teams now. I know some of their fans are disappointed because they feel like WeaPo were the heirs apparent and waited their turn and now others are passing them, but even if there were any truth to some conspiracy theory, the only thing WeaPo can control is their programs and how they skate them, and they have to do a better job. I don't think anyone is intentionally conspiring to let the Shibutanis of all people pass them, sorry.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny, I had a slightly lucid dream that the Shibs beats C/B and I look and was better than I thought! My mouth dropped open.

robredo40

On the Ice
the shibs were slow and cautious , weapo even got a 10 and still came in second, giving the shibs that high a tes mark even before weapo skated was ridiculous , lets hope they don`t get robbed in the fd their program is much more difficult and complex than the shibs.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People should not be surprised that the Shibs have made a comeback like the one they've had this season. At 24 and 21 they are just hitting their prime since top Ice Dancing teams tend to be older then singles skaters. When they won bronze in 2011 they were both teenagers and were a bit lucky and needed to get better to stay in the mix to win medals in the future and they didn't and got passed up not just internationally but at home too. Weak programs and Igor leaving didn't help them and they were treading water but they finally got the right programs especially the FD and Scali seems to have gotten the technical problems fixed too.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
the shibs were slow and cautious , weapo even got a 10 and still came in second, giving the shibs that high a tes mark even before weapo skated was ridiculous , lets hope they don`t get robbed in the fd their program is much more difficult and complex than the shibs.

You are like the uber uber. So really nothing anyone says is going to convince you otherwise.

Me? I'm just a dance uber.

:hap57:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Only WeaPo are holding WeaPo down. They flatly need to get better to compete with the 'top' teams now. I know some of their fans are disappointed because they feel like WeaPo were the heirs apparent and waited their turn and now others are passing them, but even if there were any truth to some conspiracy theory, the only thing WeaPo can control is their programs and how they skate them, and they have to do a better job. I don't think anyone is intentionally conspiring to let the Shibutanis of all people pass them, sorry.

Spot on. The biggest strength of WePo has always been their ability to convey PASSION. What are their best programs? Je suis malade and the Maria tango. Programs about passion. The last two seasons they've been going this Artier Than Thou route and frankly they don't have the balletic training or knack to carry it off successfully. They are "heavy" skaters to me--not in terms of weight, but in terms of how they move across the ice. They don't' float. They dig into the ice, not rise above it. And I'm shocked that Krylova keeps trying to refashion them into something they're not. Hell I'm all for stretching your limits, but the fact remains that they are limits. They're never going to be ethereal; it's just not their strength. They are earthy, not airy. So why not create programs that highlight that earthiness and leave the airy to a couple more suited to that style?

Just my two coppers.

katha

On the Ice
Spot on. The biggest strength of WePo has always been their ability to convey PASSION. What are their best programs? Je suis malade and the Maria tango. Programs about passion. The last two seasons they've been going this Artier Than Thou route and frankly they don't have the balletic training or knack to carry it off successfully. They are "heavy" skaters to me--not in terms of weight, but in terms of how they move across the ice. They don't' float. They dig into the ice, not rise above it. And I'm shocked that Krylova keeps trying to refashion them into something they're not. Hell I'm all for stretching your limits, but the fact remains that they are limits. They're never going to be ethereal; it's just not their strength. They are earthy, not airy. So why not create programs that highlight that earthiness and leave the airy to a couple more suited to that style?

Just my two coppers.
My associations with their 2013 FD, their 2015 FD and this year's FD are basically the same: "Usova/Zhulin tribute". It's in the striving for concepts, the costuming choices, some of the posing in the choreo. And...U/Z did it because it worked for U/Z, it played to their strengths. I'm not sure it plays to WeaPo's strengths. I liked their chanson FD and tango FD more as well. And I don't necessarily think the tango FD in particular was any simpler or less sophisticated, it just dug for complexity in other aspects, aspects that arguably played more to what W/P do particularly well .

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
It really sucks that H/D have such undewhelming FD & costumes (imo) b/c their SD is really 1 of the best this season! Happy about their placement!

matcha

Medalist
omg my Shibs!!! Trying to contain myself in a public place.

Slay me / snatch them wigs / melt the ice etc etc etc

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Just watched the Shibs and WePo. My my but confidence looks very good on the ShibSibs. I'm not a huge fan of the SD--it really is too cutesypoo for words--but it has taught them--Maia especially--how to create a characters on the ice. And that makes a huge difference when you're skating a chaaracter-driven piece. WePo's ultratraditional waltz is quite lovely too, but they just don't have quite the same sureness of technique that the Shibs are showing at this particular point of time. It should have been that close and for the naysayers about Judy Blumberg, I think she did another spot on job here. The rankings are fair, which is not something I would have expected ID to have a decade ago.

Gonna be a helluva FD.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just watched the Shibs and WePo. My my but confidence looks very good on the ShibSibs. I'm not a huge fan of the SD--it really is too cutesypoo for words--but it has taught them--Maia especially--how to create a characters on the ice. And that makes a huge difference when you're skating a chaaracter-driven piece. WePo's ultratraditional waltz is quite lovely too, but they just don't have quite the same sureness of technique that the Shibs are showing at this particular point of time. It should have been that close and for the naysayers about Judy Blumberg, I think she did another spot on job here. The rankings are fair, which is not something I would have expected ID to have a decade ago.

Gonna be a helluva FD.

Ah it's working! Maia's SO cute that she's gonna make you fall in love with her and then...watch out! She's gonna get you and show your folly!

All this to say is your assessment is spot on, LOL -- Maia's really embraced the Coppelia role! :)

Lexiglass

On the Ice
Woke up this morning to see the Shibs on top and H/D in third and couldn't be more excited! IMO this was the best that the Shibs have performed their SD this season - they just looked so confident and sure.

Question for the ice dance experts out there - why are the Shibs and Wea/Po so close on twizzle GOE? The Shibs barely squeaked out better scores on that element, but their twizzles are so much more convincing and impressive than the other top teams? (Except maybe H/D). I don't know the criteria for twizzle GOE so maybe I'm missing something, but that's the weakest part of Wea/Po's dance for me.

I do hope that the Shibs can pull out the win here. They're so likeable, and I'd love to see them get a PCS boost going into worlds. Hopefully everyone skates lights out in the free dance!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Just my two coppers.

you expressed probably this 'thing' about last two seasons of WeaPo I couldn't put my finger on - they were on fire with Maria del Buenos Aires and Je suis Malade, but then choreography and technique were not developed as nowadays, then Four Seasons and Bitter Earth were/are way more choreo-complex and they're at better level technically, but these programs are indeed Artier Than Thou as you pointed and they don't feel so organic and natural in that kind of stuff in my opinion (Four Seasons had grown in me whole season to be honest, this year their National performance yet was quite convincing for me). And I really love them, they are favourites of mine.

I feel like there are some better ways to embrace their chemistry in something other as FD. They should build on that. The great examples for me to re-estabilish themselves are Shibutanis and Bobrova/Soloviev - first ones got new choreographer, better programs and maintain the best ever technique from them and what - instant leverage, second ones - when stripped from ridiculous costumes, over-the-top programs and focus on their biggest strengths got best scores yet, getting back on very top.

On the other hand, I do understand a desire to experiment and try something new, something that challenges you , that dare you to get outside of your comfort zone - that's because I really respect them, but I already see last season's end repetition on horizon and it will break my heart for them...

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ah it's working! Maia's SO cute that she's gonna make you fall in love with her and then...watch out! She's gonna get you and show your folly!

All this to say is your assessment is spot on, LOL -- Maia's really embraced the Coppelia role! :)

Learning to perform can take a bit of time. But I competed in public speaking in high school and college and learned very quickly that audiences want you to do well. An uncomfortable and restrained performance makes the audience uncomfortable and restrained, and they want to be entertained. Think of it this way: when was the last time you paid money to see a performance and thought, "Oh boy, I'm really hoping it sucks!" Just saying...

This year for the Shibs is like Marlie's tango year--and look at how Marlie blossomed and matured after that. If things continue this way I can see the battle for gold in Korea between the Shibs and P/C. (Getting my predictions in SUPER early! :))

Last edited: