2016 Korean Figure Skating Championships | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016 Korean Figure Skating Championships

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Day3 Results & Fancam videos

Senior Ladies FS - with total score (free skating score)
1 Young You 183.75(122.66) FS 2nd
2 Da bin Choi 177.29(116.97) FS 2nd --- Seems like Sr.World member
3 Eun soo Lim 175.97(116.64) FS 2nd
4 Ye lim Kim 173.57(113.89) FS 2nd
5 So youn Park 161.07(105.73) FS 2nd --- Seems like Sr.World member
6 Suh hyun Son 159.32(107.32) FS 2nd --- Seems like Jr.World member
7 Ha nul Kim 158.75(104.43) FS 2nd --- Seems like Jr.World member
8 Sena Kim 154.70(102.15) FS 2nd
9 So hyun An 154.59(100.28) FS 2nd
10 Ji hyun Byun 152.83(95.88) FS 2nd
11 Na hyun Kim 152.28(102.91) FS 2nd
12 Seo young Lee 150.90(97.75) FS 2nd
13 Go eun Park 150.68(99.60) FS 2nd
14 Se bin Park 148.17(96.64) FS 2nd
15 Hee soo Cho 146.19(95.78) FS 2nd
16 Ah hyun Lim 143.60(95.47) FS 2nd
17 Hae jin Kim 143.31(89.92) FS 2nd
18 Hyun soo Lee 141.10(92.68) FS
19 Yena Kwon 138.22(89.26) FS 2nd
20 Gyo hee Jeon 137.80(90.89) FS 2nd
21 Se hee Jeon 130.87(80.04) FS 2nd
22 Ji hoon Do 128.10(81.02) FS 2nd
23 Yu jin Choi 126.83(81.71) FS 2nd
24 Sun min Yun 126.80(80.59) FS 2nd

Senior Men FS - with total score (free skating score)
1 June hyoung Lee 223.72(148.62) FS 2nd --- Seems like Sr.World member
2 Jin seo Kim 202.48(134.08) FS 2nd --- Seems like Jr.World member
3 Jun hwan Cha 189.98(131.38) FS 2nd --- Seems like Jr.World member
4 Se jong Byun 180.74(120.85) FS 2nd (--- Seems like Jr.World member) In case Jin seo decide not to go.
5 Si hyoung Lee 174.54(123.26) [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwW2ZvbMOsY"]FS[/URL]
6 Geon hyoung An 154.50(111.09) FS 2nd
7 Sung hoon Park 147.08(101.63) FS 2nd
8 Dong won Lee 130.08(85.70) FS 2nd

Junior Men FS - with total score (free skating score)
1 Sang woo Kim 126.76(83.62) FS 2nd
2 Han gil Kim 116.12(78.37) FS 2nd
3 Tae hyun Kim 86.96(54.87) FS

Senior Ice dance FD - with total score (free dance score)
1 Rebeka Kim/Kirill Minov 138.00(82.57) FD 2nd --- Seems like Sr.World member
2 Yura Min/Alexander Gamelin 127.18(74.13) FD 2nd
3 Ho jung Lee/Richard Kang in Kam 121.02(69.76) FD 2nd --- Seems like Jr.World member

Senior Pairs FS- with total score (free skating score)
1 Min ji Ji/Themistoclles Leftheris 135.24(89.17) FS 2nd

Junior Pairs FS- with total score (free skating score)
1 Su yeon Kim/Hyoung tae Kim 98.63(63.28) FS 2nd

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I still couldnt watch videos so cant comment on them yet but congratz to all medalists! I am glad Jun Hwan managed to get bronze again, but seems like it was a tough skate :( hopefully he will recover soon and rest well, btw how long it takes to recover from tinnitus? And have another question regarding JW, is Jin Seo age eligible?

Raymond

Rinkside
7 or 8 skaters did 3Lz-3T in their programs.
I could clearly see Yu-Na influences from that :)
And Eun-Soo Lim's jumping technique is very Yuna-esque.
Also Ye-Lim Kim. That 3Lz-3Lo-2Lo and 3Lz-3T in one program! Just wow.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
IMO, even though Young is a little champion, but this does not mean that she can beat all Korean competitors anytime, or anyhow.
I mean now she is not at the definite position of above-all.. (Just different from SY Park at last year's nationals. She was at that kind of position that days, I think.)
Of course, it would be a great start of her skating career. ;) She made a lot of fans through this event. My case, I actually love her much more than before!

It's good to see competition gets tight and tight!!

I have high hopes for her bc she doesn't seem like a wilting flower, though time will tell.

Layback11

Record Breaker
So sad for So-Hyun Ahn and Ji Hi Byhun (my favorites from the JGP) but thrilled for Young Yoo! What an accomplishment!

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Young You looks incredible. Her jumping technique is very very good. She reminds me of Tara Lipinski.. Watch out for her in a year or two. Shes going to be amazing. Her comp. scores will rise with age and training and maturity.

bara1968

On the Ice
7 or 8 skaters did 3Lz-3T in their programs.
I could clearly see Yu-Na influences from that :)
And Eun-Soo Lim's jumping technique is very Yuna-esque.
Also Ye-Lim Kim. That 3Lz-3Lo-2Lo and 3Lz-3T in one program! Just wow.

I am very happy to see the rise of Korean babies! Haha... It seems that all these skaters have 'true' lutz don't they? Considering how rare it is to see the skaters without edge calls in (both) flip/lutz, it's incredible that Korea- such a minor country in FS- keeps producing youngsters with such a great technique! When it comes to lutz, Korea may become 'the place' to train in near future :) :) Oohh... and these kids (#1,3,4) are soooooo cute!!!!

randomfan

Record Breaker
What a fun competition! This was such a great Korean Nationals! Normally I do a small review for most important competitions but I never thought about doing it for Korean Nationals. However, this year's ladies events are worth reviewing. :)

1. Young You: As I watched her multiple times this season, I always kept thinking, "if only she was a bit older". She'd be a big contender in the senior field with that crazy content and stable consistency. Young You is just so talented. She beat two of the three best scores at Korean Nationals by someone not Yuna Kim. The previous highest SP score was 60.40 by So Youn and 178+ (forgot the exact number) also by So Youn, and Young beat both of them. She was also pretty close to the highest FS score which was also by So Youn - 125+. National champion with 183.75 at the age of 11 is extremely impressive. She is one fierce competitor.
2. Da Bin Choi: Her 3Lz-3T was probably the best one of hers yet here. Da Bin is so consistent, and even with the step out in the FS, she managed to not make any more mistakes. It's going to be great for her to go to both 4CC and Worlds this year. Da Bin is good enough to secure 2 spots for South Korea at Worlds with her SB being 172+. I'm so excited for her! :cheer:
3. Eun Soo Lim: Her jumps kinda remind me of Yuna, especially the lutz. Her content is very good and she had two great performances here which got her the well-deserved bronze. I think Eun Soo will be going to Jr. Worlds, so I wish all the best for her!
4. Ye Lim Kim: This girl's content is INSANE. 3Lz-3Lo-2Lo? Landing a combo with a 3Lo at the end is already difficult enough - so difficult that only Mao Asada is doing it right now in the senior field. That plus a TRIPLE JUMP for the combo before the 3Lo. The most difficult triple jump after the 3A...:eeking: And then the extra 2Lo at the end...WOW. JUST WOW. That is very difficult to do, especially since loop jumps tend to give pain to the hips. This girl deserves a medal for just even landing that. Then there is the 3Lz-3T in the SECOND HALF of the program, along with a :love:-gorgeous layback spin. Like Young You, if only she was a bit older, she'd be a huge scare to the senior field.
5. So Youn Park: What could I say? We So Youn fans are too used to this now. The new dress is good, but it does not change the feel of the program too much since she still is struggling with her consistency. She ran into the same lutz problem that I stated in the So Youn Park fan fest thread yesterday, and the deduction was huge. Sigh...:hopelessness::slink:...well, at least the spins looked better than Finlandia and the 2A-3T was beautiful. How will she do at 4CC and Worlds?

Also, I have to say that the South Korean athletes all have solid jumping techniques. Almost everyone manages to do both a clean lutz and flip with the correct edges, and there are even skaters that can land phenomenal combos. South Korea is definitely growing in their FS intensity, and that's great to see. :cool2:

Last edited:

Raymond

Rinkside
I am very happy to see the rise of Korean babies! Haha... It seems that all these skaters have 'true' lutz don't they? Considering how rare it is to see the skaters without edge calls in (both) flip/lutz, it's incredible that Korea- such a minor country in FS- keeps producing youngsters with such a great technique! When it comes to lutz, Korea may become 'the place' to train in near future :) :) Oohh... and these kids (#1,3,4) are soooooo cute!!!!

Yeah, I am also thrilled to see that many Korean skaters have been able to follw the tradition of beautiful jumping technique that Yu-Na Kim started.
I mean, just like you said, it has always been difficult to execute both lutz and flip without an edge call, which is why I admire Yu-Na Kim so much, not to mention her huge 3Lz-3T and 2A-3T.
But almost 10 skaters in this competition had no problem of an edge call and have an ability to execute 3-3 and 2-3 combinations with such a Yuna-esque style. What a potential.
And they are the Yu-Na kids who have grown up watching Yu-Na Kim's skatings. I am impressed how influential one legendary skater can be.

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
Thank you Hailey Shin for compiling all those videos, such a treat to watch!

1. Young You - what an amazing little junior. I can't wait to hear about her triple axel and possible quad attempts in the future. She seems so ambitious! Yuna definitely made the most important comment, she has to make sure she remain injury free as she grows older.

2. Choi Da Bin - Oh how I wish she would sell the program in an authentic and genuine manner. She just seems to go through the movements.

3. Lim Eun Soo - I noticed like everyone else how similar her 3Lz is so similar to Yuna. She looked faster in the FS than in the SP. I am excited to see her grow up as well.

4. Kim Ye Lim - I have the biggest soft spot for her. Watched her at Asian Trophy and now at Nationals twice. She is just so ambitious, she really wants to hit that loop at the end of the combo just like Mao. I love it when they fight for these tough combos. I think ISU should try to incentive skaters trying to add 3loop at the end of their combos. 3F-3L is almost the same as 3Lz-3T which is a shame.

5. Park So Youn - I AM SO SAD. Seems to be going through some puberty pains. She has filled out a little and looking at her jumps, she's lost her centre of gravity; lots of weird tilts and she pops more. Lutz used to be a pretty good jump for her, seems like she just can't just land it properly anymore. I wonder what next steps her coach wants because I wonder if SK will still be able hold 2 spots.

With So Youn struggling with her jumps and Da Bin with no senior experience, Worlds might be a mission for them to earn 2 spots...

Rinchan

Rinkside
Hi guys!
Here is the translation of the Italian article about the Korean National Championships. Sorry if I posted it rather late but today I had quite a hectic schedule. My English is not perfect, I still hope it is good enough for you to grasp the meaning of the article. Enjoy!

Translation from http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...tinaggio-coreano-vince-i-nazionali-ad-11-anni

You Young, the new star of Korean figure ice skating, wins the national championships at age 11

Korean national championships have been held in Seoul's Mokdong ice rink between Thursday and Sunday. This year there has been a very important development in the sport: along with the number of skaters taking part in the competition, also the general quality increased greatly.

Particularly the Ladies event, the most anticipated event, registered a whopping number of 36 participants, all of them having quite a good technical arsenal.

The main protagonist was You Young, who was able to dethrone Yuna Kim of the record of youngest athlete ever to win the Koran national championships, conquering the national crown at just 11 years and 228 days. You Young's career seems to promise a brilliant future. Indeed, Kim Yuna, the most decorated skater of the last years, won her first national title at age 12.

You Young absolutely dominated the competition. She got at the top with a perfect sp and reconfirmed her dominance with her fs, where she completed two double axels and seven triple jumps, with a very good triple lutz triple toe loop combination. The difference between her and the other competitors wasn't in the executed elements (in the layout), but in their quality. Both programs, especially the fs to the music Don't you worry child by Shweta Subram, have been characterized by many transitions, which enriched each executed element.
Apart of her technical content, You Young distinguished herself for her personality, her mature interpretation, her musicality, the use of her upper body and above all her ice coverage, all characteristics of a veteran.
The judges, as usually in Asia, didn't exaggerate with the scores (didn't give inflated scores), nevertheless You Young was able to get the highest goes on almost every element and obtained the highest technical mark of the competition. Moreover, she received the highest pcs in each category in the free skate. However, the average pcs mark didn't reach 7.

Da Bin Choi placed second, more than 6 points behind the first place. She confirmed herself again this year as the silver medalist and gained the right to go to the world championships in Boston. Contrary to her shaky international debut at Tallin Trophy as a senior, in this competition Da Bin Choi did great technically, executing in both programs a triple lutz triple toe loop combination. The only mistake has been her double axel triple toe loop combination in the free skating, underrotated and with a step out.

Da Bin Choi came just ahead of twelve year old Eun Soo Lim and YeLim Kim, who will be both eligible to junior competitions next season. Lim executed a perfect triple lutz triple toe loop combination and, apart of an error in the entrance of a flying sit spin in the sp, she did a perfect fs with two double axels and 7 triples. Kim has showed herself to be the most daring athlete on the technical side. In the sp she executed all the jumps in the second half of the program and she opened her fs with a Triple lutz, triple loop, double loop combination.

Last year's champion So Youn Park placed only fifth and maintained her placement thanks to the program components, which were in average higher than almost all the other competitors. She simplified her jumping layout, nevertheless she struggled in her jump combinations and the triple lutz gave her troubles in both programs.

Kim Hae Jin was the most disappointing athlete, placing only 17th.

June Hyoung Lee was able to conquer his third national title, which was against the initial prediction. He mastered the triple axel and the other triple jumps better than the other competitors. Lee legitimated his success by skating almost two clean programs. The only visible mistake was a step out in the triple axel in the fs.
Kim Jin Seo, who was predicted to be the favorite, placed second, followed by Jun Hwan Cha, who is still not eligible for senior competitions. Kim tried a quad toe loop, which he landed with a step out, however he had troubles with the triple axel, leaving many points on the table.

There were three teams taking part in the icedance competition. Kim/Minov became national champions again, followed by Min/Gamelin, who paired up recently. Lee/Kam came in third because they were penalized on the execution of the twizzels in the free dance. However, it has to be remembered that they competed for all the first part of the season at the junior level.

In the pairs category, Ji/leftheris gained their first national title. They paired up very recently and they were the only senior pair registered for the competition. They distinguished themselves for the execution of the side by side jumps. In the fs they completed a triple toe loop and a triple salchow double toe loop combination. However, they still have to work on the throw jumps, the twist and the lifts.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Young You Free Skate

I don't know why, but I cried after watching this performance.....

Surreal... fantastic music choice and interpretation. Unbelievably sophisticated by an 11 years old! ELEVEN!!! I am having one of those 'when i watched little budding baby Hanyu moment' here... another phenom in the making surely!

I hope she keep all her arsenal of jumps and keep experimenting with none cliched program such as this. Take it easy avoid injury and over training! Possible Beijing 2022 contender. Need to nurse and nourish this budding talent with care. ATS better sign her up already.

Can YY qualify for youth olympics?

*Pat pat pat* SoYoun... don't lose sleep over this, simply do better next time... *pat pat pat!*

Last edited:

Rinchan

Rinkside
Does anyone know if ji minji and themi are planning to participate in some b comps to gain minimum technical score for worlds? I was having a look at the isu calendar and there are quite fee competitions offering also the pair segment. The options would be sarajevo open, hellmut seibert memorial and bavarian open, all held in february. As a last chance there would be the coup of primtemps, but i think that's impossible as it is just one week before the worlds.