2016 Skate America gala | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America gala

charmblade

Final Flight
The Shibs always have excellent exhibitions, and this is no exception. I feel like they've really found their groove lately.

charmblade

Final Flight
The Shibs should've used this as their FD instead IMO :confused2:

I usually feel like they should turn their exhibitions into competitive program, and that's the first thing I thought as soon as they started.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maybe next season?! I find they tend to use exhibitions to try new things and then incorporate them into competitive programs.

ETA: This might have been an easy way to try out Lambiel as a choreographer and see if they want to use him for competitive programs.

Oreo

On the Ice
Oh my word. Mao's EX......her blade work is exquisite. The attention to every minutiae detail is breathtaking. Mao doing what Mao does best. :eek:: I honestly only stared at her feet the entire time because her costume is terrible, even though I know what she was going for.

I totally agree. That was very special. As for the dress, it was Baroque, like the music.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
There were some EX which I really enjoy tonight: Mariah's, the Shibs', Boyang's (it was quite entertaining), Morgan and Cipres' (but was that last season's program?), Julianne and Charlie's, etc. And throwing shirts and caps was a very nice detail towards the audience. :yes:

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
As far as galas go, that was pretty entertaining. Well-attended, appreciative audience. I wonder where most of them were a couple hours earlier during the Free Dance?

zschultz1986

Final Flight
As far as galas go, that was pretty entertaining. Well-attended, appreciative audience. I wonder where most of them were a couple hours earlier during the Free Dance?

We were all hung over, or at least I was. Last night was a very big one for Chicago. The Cubs clinched the NL Pennant for the first time since 1945 and are going to the World Series! The town was CRAZY last night. That's the reason Jason had the Cubs hat and shirt on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ave to mention two of the worst costumes I have ever seen---and they were from the SA Exhibition:

MAO ASADA

A real shocker, as Mao is known for her elegant, tasteful costumes---but not this time. Here, she was all dolled up as a human FEATHER DUSTER!!

JULIANNE SEGUINNE

She one-upped her SP costume (the green bodice with the fuschia thingies hanging from it) and then some. She seemed to be wearing a corset of black string with big cutouts on the side that made it look as if she was bulging out of it (it was probably lined in illusion). She wore her hair down and the overall effect was that she looked like a plump 12-year-old kewpie doll. They did some amazing tricks but it was hard to watch because Charlie looked SO much older than she did.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am guessing Zach's cold has laid him low, that was a terrible cough he had after the FD

They skipped Thursday practices because he was ill. I wondered if maybe they pushed themselves to make it through the SD and FD, but did they feel they had to skip the EX just because he wasn't up to it. Just speculating.

reneerose

Final Flight
There were some EX which I really enjoy tonight: Mariah's, the Shibs', Boyang's (it was quite entertaining), Morgan and Cipres' (but was that last season's program?), Julianne and Charlie's, etc. And throwing shirts and caps was a very nice detail towards the audience. :yes:
I thought the whole idea of giving the skaters Sharpies to autograph the caps and shirts was an excellent idea too, before they threw them into the audience! Way to market figure skating! Watching on Ice Network... Ashley looked so thoughtful with her Sharpie and trying to autograph what she had before tossing her items... Poor Jason allowed himself to be clung to by a group of fans during that. I would have loved to have been there clinging to Charlie :laugh:

Last edited:

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
Just finished watching the Gala: Boyang was fun, Shibs interesting and kudos for Seguin/Bilodeau's weird (in a positve way) costumes.

I liked Mao's costume best. Probably I'm the only one who liked it. IMO it goes very well with her music for the EX. Actually I find this dress one of the best I've seen at SA.

Her EX in itself was great, too.

Barb

Record Breaker
ave to mention two of the worst costumes I have ever seen---and they were from the SA Exhibition:

MAO ASADA

A real shocker, as Mao is known for her elegant, tasteful costumes---but not this time. Here, she was all dolled up as a human FEATHER DUSTER!!

JULIANNE SEGUINNE

She one-upped her SP costume (the green bodice with the fuschia thingies hanging from it) and then some. She seemed to be wearing a corset of black string with big cutouts on the side that made it look as if she was bulging out of it (it was probably lined in illusion). She wore her hair down and the overall effect was that she looked like a plump 12-year-old kewpie doll. They did some amazing tricks but it was hard to watch because Charlie looked SO much older than she did.

I thought the same about Mao´s dress the first time, but now, I love it!!