2016 Skate Canada Short Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Short Dance

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Dont forget though that C&B were in Canada while the Shibs were skating in SA. That does make a difference. I think the only way to know is when we see them go head to head, or in "neutral" grounds.

Just based on past experiences and judges' trends when scoring home country faves, I don't think the Shibs scores would have only happened on U.S. soil. When there's that sort of consensus, it's a real message. But then we'll see and it's up to the Shibs to keep consistently performing and improving the dance. We saw what happened to other teams who hit well early in the season and started to fizzle out by the end of the season. Ice dance judging has become a lot more fluid than it has been in the past. And of course, scores do change when there's stronger competition, but I remember people thinking the rising scores they were receiving last season wouldn't happen at 4CC, and then it did, and then people said they wouldn't happen again at Worlds, and then they did.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you!! This is so true. It annoys me that couples who cover little ice on twizzles and such can get similar GOEs than other couples. The good judges who know that it is harder to cover more ice actually do mark accordingly so though. So some judges do know what they are doing.

And yes, C/B were slower than the others in the Midnight Blues pattern, especially going by ice coverage.

By this logic, the Danish couple was the fastest team on the ice.

Depth of curves might reduce coverage too.

Alba

Record Breaker
Just based on past experiences and judges' trends when scoring home country faves, I don't think the Shibs scores would have only happened on U.S. soil.

I didn't meant that. I was just taking into consideration that skating in your home country does make a difference, for everybody. So the only way to know is when both skates in other competitions, and of course both couples don't make mistakes.

all that

Final Flight
I already predicted and have said many times that it would not surprise me at all if Zoueva and D/W were secretly planning programs right now for the 2018 Olympics. Would not surprise me if they are training the Rhumba now and making programs for 2018. I mean, didn't Zoueva plan Scheherazade two years ahead of time? *yawn*

Please. As if Meryl and Charlie need to start practicing now to win Olympics in 2018. They are the greatest of all time. Olympics will be a cakewalk.

all that

Final Flight
Great skate for Chock and Bates. I think P/C now can breathe; V and M barely beat C and B and some tech issues for V and M so it looks like pC are good as gold especially if V and M barely beat C and B who were struggling earlier. Sad about Stepanova and Bukin a bit of promise and once again the Russian ice dance program shows its weakness. No one is owning it for Russia. I think V and M need to find programs that are really them, original that push the envelope.

P/C only have to fear the return of Meryl and Charlie. Otherwise they will take home gold at every event until they retire.

wasabi

On the Ice
My take away Not Classy moment from the SD. After VM skated and the entire crowd rose for a standing ovation G/P"s coaches Carol and Jon Lane as well as some of their skaters chose to stay sitting and did not even clap. Just sat there stone faced. I don't know if I have ever seen such outrageously rude behaviour towards another team. She commentates for CBC sports for goodness sakes. It will definitely be hard for me to get behind this team of people after seeing them act in such a crass manner. Shame on you

Doesn't surprise me at all - not classy actually rather nasty and with a history of that.

Last edited:

bobbob

Medalist
P/C only have to fear the return of Meryl and Charlie. Otherwise they will take home gold at every event until they retire.

Based on the fact that this event has a technical controller known for giving Tessa and Scott 5's in PCS like Skating Skills and now he is controlling the levels, I would not write them off just yet... They would have scored 79.3 with the same levels as C+B.

all that

Final Flight
Based on the fact that this event has a technical controller known for giving Tessa and Scott 5's in PCS like Skating Skills and now he is controlling the levels, I would not write them off just yet... They would have scored 79.3 with the same levels as C+B.

V/M cannot beat P/C at any event. The only team able to beat P/C is D/W. If they don't return, P/C will win everything all the time until they retire. They are so far ahead of everyone else there is simply no contest.

bobbob

Medalist
V/M cannot beat P/C at any event. The only team able to beat P/C is D/W. If they don't return, P/C will win everything all the time until they retire. They are so far ahead of everyone else there is simply no contest.

I'm amazed by the grace by P/C, I'm interested in what they will do for Hip Hop. But based on the scores, with V/M getting pretty high scores in their first competition back, I wouldn't take it for granted. V/M broke P/C's record in at Worlds for SD in a GP event with a crooked technical controller (albeit at home).

Matt K

On the Ice
Please. As if Meryl and Charlie need to start practicing now to win Olympics in 2018. They are the greatest of all time. Olympics will be a cakewalk.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

all that

Final Flight
I'm amazed by the grace by P/C, I'm interested in what they will do for Hip Hop. But based on the scores, with V/M getting pretty high scores in their first competition back, I wouldn't take it for granted. V/M broke P/C's record in at Worlds for SD in a GP event with a crooked technical controller (albeit at home).

P/C are doing swing, not hip hop.