Votes: 35 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2017 Junior Grand Prix Final of Figure Skating Predictions for Ladies

Who do you think will win? Who do you hope will win? Share your thoughts on the lineup!

Please do not bash skaters or insult other posters their opinions.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Most exciting field of the whole Grand Prix Final for me, even over the senior categories! And it is so hard to predict... if we look at the seasons highest scores, we're having:

1 Aljona Kostornaya 197.91
2 Alexandra Trusova 197.69
3 Anastasia Tarakanova 196.68
4 Daria Panenkova 196.55
5 Sofia Samodurova 192.19
6 Rika Kihira 185.81

That's only 1.36 points between the top 4! And Sofia is really close too. Rika has a bit of a distance, which is because she always made mistakes, but then a clean Rika with her 3A(s) could score potentially so high. That could be any podium coming out of there, honestly...

My personal hope would be 1. Aljona, 2.&3. Rika/Sasha, but then I'd also feel bad for the other 3.

Good luck to all the girls! :cheer:

russianfan

Match Penalty
if Trusova lands her 4S fully rotated and clean overall - she is a clear winner. Otherwise - anyone can win. Samodurova probably has the lowest chance of winning.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most exciting field of the whole Grand Prix Final for me, even over the senior categories! And it is so hard to predict... if we look at the seasons highest scores, we're having:

1 Aljona Kostornaya 197.91
2 Alexandra Trusova 197.69
3 Anastasia Tarakanova 196.68
4 Daria Panenkova 196.55
5 Sofia Samodurova 192.19
6 Rika Kihira 185.81

That's only 1.36 points between the top 4! And Sofia is really close too. Rika has a bit of a distance, which is because she always made mistakes, but then a clean Rika with her 3A(s) could score potentially so high. That could be any podium coming out of there, honestly...

Indeed! Crazy!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JGP was so much better than the Senior GP. All the top ladies held it together and there aren't skaters going who have committed serious errors. I like that the PCS doesn't play as much of a role and for the most part the whole season has been settled blade to ice. That said......

Go Nastya!!!!!

But I'm sure the winner will be deserving :clap:

MalAssada

Medalist
Trusova took me by surprise. It is the first time since I began following figure skating I took to a skater so quickly. So I both hope and think she will win. Korstonaia seems to be a favourite of posters; I have to say I was a bit bored by her programs, but she scores well and I think she will probably fight for the gold. I expect Trusova and Kostornaia to go 1-2. No idea about the others, but I have to say I am more excited for the JGPF than GPF!

russianfan

Match Penalty
Another impressive fact is that there were 3(!) girls who scored 196+ at their JGP debut, which says quite a lot about a level of competition we are going to have.
There is also a possibility of Alina's record being broken if someone lands her 4S :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Exciting event. With JGPs scores Russians are above Kihira, but if she's clean she can podium. Trusova will be unbeatable with a fully rotated 4S and other elements cleans. With cleans FS, Trusova and Kihira (with her two 3As) will have the best scores for sure. But Kostornaya, Tarakanova and Panenkova can have huge scores too. In short, scores can be tight. 66-70 with clean skates. There is not an absolute favorite so it's hard to predict the winner. And this is great! Not like in seniors.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
My personal hope would be 1. Aljona, 2.&3. Rika/Sasha, but then I'd also feel bad for the other 3.

Good luck to all the girls! :cheer:

I have the same favorites as you! But I won't feel bad for the other 3... I don't really remember what they look like tbh :palmf:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Rika Kihira executed 2 triple axels with ease this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8xSZCFT9eU

That's all folks. Everybody go home. :biggrin:

She does them very well at domestic events. I was so impressed seeing these! But she never translates them onto the international scene and I think it's becoming a Kimmie Meissner - esque thing. There's all the hype, she does them well at nationals, and maybe once at the international scene (KM 2006 worlds) but she's concentrating a lot on it, obviously, and I think that takes its toll. Falling twice on a step sequence is rare, especially for a girl of her caliber, and I think it's all the focus that goes into that one jump.
Interesting to see how Sasha is training a harder jump base-value wise and attempting it this year as well but when it doesn't work she doesn't tend to make mistakes throughout the rest of the program. Just food for thought.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
If everyone goes clean, it will be Kihira's to lose in front of home crowd. She has a big momentum by winning Japanese Junior Nationals and landing two 3As there. Kostornaya (my personal favorite) also got huge scores in the Russian Cup events recently. She might be the only one who can beat her if Rika lands her jumps. Trusova doesn't get much PCS and I highly doubt that she will get a ratified 4S in Japan.
I also want to say don't count Samodurova out! She had two surprising wins and won against Kostornaya once. Sofia may not have the score hunting strategy of Team Tutberidze but her programs have the chance to stand out among theirs. I believe that she can at least get the bronze at this competition with two clean and confident skates!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
She does them very well at domestic events. I was so impressed seeing these! But she never translates them onto the international scene and I think it's becoming a Kimmie Meissner - esque thing. There's all the hype, she does them well at nationals, and maybe once at the international scene (KM 2006 worlds) but she's concentrating a lot on it, obviously, and I think that takes its toll. Falling twice on a step sequence is rare, especially for a girl of her caliber, and I think it's all the focus that goes into that one jump.
Interesting to see how Sasha is training a harder jump base-value wise and attempting it this year as well but when it doesn't work she doesn't tend to make mistakes throughout the rest of the program. Just food for thought.

It happened just once. The rest of her program is not always affected by a mistake on 3A. At her first JGP, she fell on 3A but did others elements without mistakes. Same thing at her first JGP and JGPF last season. I think that she just lost focus in Italy.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It happened just once. The rest of her program is not always affected by a mistake on 3A. At her first JGP, she fell on 3A but did others elements without mistakes. Same thing at her first JGP and JGPF last season. I think that she just lost focus in Italy.

Oh really, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for clarifying :)
I still don't think she has a huge chance of winning when her season's best is 12 points than even Sofia's and that was in Riga where she did her free well minus the axel. I'm thinking bronze for her?

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
This one is a toughie. Could be anyone except for Panenkova or Samodurova.
But the elf on my shoulder is whispering Kostornaia.
We shall see.