2023-24 Junior Grand Prix Assignments for ISU member nations | Golden Skate

2023-24 Junior Grand Prix Assignments for ISU member nations

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Full Announcement

The ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating comprises seven (7) international Junior Figure Skating events and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. All seven events will be held with the approval and the assistance of the International Skating Union, under the responsibility of the organizing ISU Member concerned and in accordance with the ISU Constitution and General Regulations 2022, the Special Regulations & Technical Rules Single & Pair Skating and Ice Dance 2022, the relevant ISU Communications and the "Memorandum for hosting an ISU Junior Grand Prix event" latest issue.

Participation in the seven events and the Final of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating is open to all Competitors who belong to an ISU Member, and qualify with regard to eligibility according to Rule 102, provided their ages fall within the limits specified in Rule 108, paragraph 3. b) and they meet the participation, citizenship and residency requirements in Rule 109 and ISU Communication 2526 or any update of this Communication. Passports of the Skaters, as well as the ISU Clearance Certificate, if applicable, must be presented at the accreditation of each individual event and the Final for verification. All Competitors must be entered through their ISU Members.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Still no mention of actual participants with seven weeks to go. What are they waiting for, he asked rhetorically.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Still no mention of actual participants with seven weeks to go. What are they waiting for, he asked rhetorically.
JGP assignments are not announced all at once like senior GP entries, as federations are free to choose who they want to send themselves.

You'll find the official entry lists for each JGP event on the individual event page approximately 4 weeks before the start of the event.

Regardless, federations are free to release their assignments before the official entry deadlines and some have already done so, like the Indonesian federation, which will be sending Melody Asri Fatimah to JGP Bangkok and Michelle Edgina Axille to JGP Osaka.

Last edited:

gleungc6

On the Ice
Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Criteria for Austrian selection are out now, but we will have to wait for names until August 8th/13th for singles/dance.
They don't rush, that's for sure.

But we now know at least that Skate Austria plans for Budapest, Gdansk (3 disciplines) and Yerewan (only Girls and ID) apart from the Austrian GP.
Hm.. we have waaay to many spots 😅 6 for girls and ID each, 5 for boys and pairs each.

Realistically, we should have (and need)
- two boys (4 spots): Tobia, Daniel
- one (perhaps two) ID couple (2-4 spots): Straubs, Havers'
- two girls (4 spots): Hannah, Flora
- no pair (0 spots)

Do you agree, @CrazyKittenLady ?

e: not on the new list, but maybe the one from last season, so additional options:
Hubers in ID, Elsebaie for girls (but maybe too old?)
we have more Junior girls on the lists, but they might not have the required tournaments or points for the internal ranking.
I guess the 3 spots will be filled for the home GP (and here perhaps only singles), but others?

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
no pair (0 spots)
Wouldn't Ghedini/Maierhofer be eligible for juniors under the new rule of male skaters who are aging out this season being allowed to compete in juniors for one more season?
not on the new list, but maybe the one from last season, so additional options:
Hubers in ID, Elsebaie for girls (but maybe too old?)
Hubers are definitely too old. Same case for Jasmin.

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Do you agree
You are way ahead of me. :laugh:
For a couple of weeks now I've wanted to update the Team Austria thread with the new National Team members and competition calendar, but I just don't get around to it. Not to mention JGP assignments. :drama:

Wouldn't Ghedini/Maierhofer be eligible for juniors under the new rule of male skaters who are aging out this season being allowed to compete in juniors for one more season?
I think this exception only applies if the female partner is also too young to skate seniors. Giorgia is old enough, afaik.
Btw, Luc is listed in the National Team as a men's singles skater. Giorgia isn't listed.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I think this exception only applies if the female partner is also too young to skate seniors. Giorgia is old enough, afaik.
Btw, Luc is listed in the National Team as a men's singles skater. Giorgia isn't listed.
The rule was definitely targeted toward those few teams with very big age gaps, but the wording was also very vague.
Canadian pairs team Ashlyn Schmitz/Tristan Taylor are in a similar situation, he's 21 and she's 17, so they would be senior-eligible. They have however been included on the entry list for what is esentially the Canadian JGP selection competition, which would indicate they were granted the exception to compete as juniors internationally despite that.

Either way, I hope Luc and Giorgia are even still a team, I thought they had potential.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Yeah, that is odd? Or did they only list "full Austrians"? confusing.

For a couple of weeks now I've wanted to update the Team Austria thread with the new National Team members and competition calendar, but I just don't get around to it. Not to mention JGP assignments. :drama:
sorry 😇
the newsletter made me have a deeper look and I remembered this thread so I tried a bit of brainstorming.
I'll take deeper talks into the team-thread maybe?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

If Hannah doesn't get it, they might hear from my mom. We don't want that...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I find it interesting that Haruna Murakami is now competing in JGP in singles after competing in pairs last year.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I find it interesting that Haruna Murakami is now competing in JGP in singles after competing in pairs last year.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Haruna skated as both a singles and pairs skater nationally last season, and with some of the older juniors (Hana, Mone) moving up to seniors internationally, there's space for her in singles this season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Haruna skated as both a singles and pairs skater nationally last season, and with some of the older juniors (Hana, Mone) moving up to seniors internationally, there's space for her in singles this season.
Yeah i guessed there would be a chance to see her in an intl comp this year since she made the top 10 at juniors nats.

gleungc6

On the Ice
German fed:
Die nominierten DEU-AthletInnen für die Junior Grand Prix-Serie 2023/2024:

1. Junioren Grand Prix, Bangkok (THA), 23.08.-26.08.2023
Junior Women: Anna GREKUL
Junior Ice Dance: Alexia KRUK & Jan EISENHABER

2. Junioren Grand Prix, Linz (AUT), 30.08.-02.09.2023
Junior Women: Julia GRABOWSKI
Junior Men: Arthur MAI
Junior Ice Dance: Darya GRIMM & Michail SAVITSKIY
Junior Pairs: Aliyah ACKERMANN & Tobija HARMS*

3. Junioren Grand Prix, Istanbul (TUR), 06.09.-09.09.2023
Junior Women: Olesya RAY
Junior Men: Luca FÜNFER
Junior Ice Dance: Alexia KRUK & Jan EISENHABER
Junior Pairs: Sonja LÖWENHERZ & Robert LÖWENHERZ | Anastasia STEBLYANKA & Lukas GNEIDING

5. Junioren Grand Prix, Budapest, 20.-23.09.2023
Junior Ice Dance: Mia Lee MAYER & Davide CALDERARI
Junior Pairs: Aliyah ACKERMANN & Tobija HARMS*

6. Junioren Grand Prix, Danzig, 27.-30.09.2023
Junior Women, Junior Men: tbd
Junior Pairs: Sonja LÖWENHERZ & Robert LÖWENHERZ | Anastasia STEBLYANKA & Lukas GNEIDING

*Die Nominierung erfolgt vorbehaltlich eines Leistungsnachweises.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
2. Junioren Grand Prix, Linz (AUT), 30.08.-02.09.2023

6. Junioren Grand Prix, Danzig, 27.-30.09.2023
These were exactly the two JGPs I was expecting them to pick once I heard that the German fed wasn't going to be covering travel costs in the coming season, as these two assignments minimise the cost the skaters would have to cover themselves.

The other logical option (for me) would have been JGP Budapest, but I'm guessing the larger number of skaters being sent to JGP Gdansk would help lower costs too?