2017 Skate Detroit | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Detroit

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Grant Hochstein's full SP

He skates with such passion (of course, it is for Caroline), I like! :agree: I imagine the first jump is supposed to be a 4S rather than the double?

But remakes of "Your Song", I just can't. :(Although I suppose this one is slightly more uptempo than Elton John....

ETA: This user's YouTube channel has a lot of Fancams, and they're pretty good for fancams!:clap:

Tahuu

On the Ice
Wonder if Vincent will do a 6-quad FS tomorrow. 4Lz3T, 4F, 4S2T, 3A // 4Lz, 4S, 4T, 3Lz1Lo3S

CocaColaFFM

Spectator
Good for Mirai....very nice choreography...some moves even reminded me of Yuna...the programe goes by really fast, which is for me always a sign of interesting structure...it's not boring at all...

cl2

Final Flight
I think this music is perfect for Courtney. Due to its subtle quality, it really brings out the power and speed in her skating. It also smooth's out some of the rough edges in her skating. I do have a question though.....Is she trying to tack a 3loop onto that opening combo? If so, if she lands it at Nationals, she could really be a threat. Her spins have improved greatly over the last two seasons and if she goes clean, she could definitely shake things up at Nationals.

Totally agree that a calmer music choice helps highlight Courtney's quality and solid skating. I don't think I've ever noticed it before, but she actually has such good control of her edges!

BTW, someone has posted Courtney Hick's FS

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm watching the ladies fs:

Mirai Nagasu -> meh for both the SP and LP. She is sooo slow, and she's the same in competition, it's not because this is pre-season. By her standards she is in good shape, she attempted the 3A in the short (i haven't seen the protcols yet but it looked downgraded to me), much better the 3F-3T in the long, although some of the jumps in 2nd half are clearly underrotated. Also i'm not impressed by the program, it looks a generic Miss Saigon program, worse than Satoko's Miss Saigon i'd say.

Courtney Hicks -> much much better the long program than the short, she jumps so high, the 3F-3Lo is a beauty but then some triples turned into doubles, for some reason she isn't able to do a 3 jumps combination so the base value of her programs are always too low to compete with the top skaters. Her style of skating reminds me a little Ashley Wagner, that said i'm not a fan of this program either, mostly because of the music, i like the steps sequence at the beginning.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Vincent Zhou SP -> I don't like his jumping technique (the pre-rotation is so evident) but the jumps are there and fully rotated, he's a great skater overall. The music jeez, why? Did they know that this is the Olympic season? the choreography is nice but the music is simply not adeguate for the Olympics in my opinion.

Grant Hochstein -> mistakes were made in the jumps unfortunately, but i did enjoyed the program.

sarama

Medalist
Courtney needs to skate more connected to the music, but apart from that, she looked really good for being July, especially the FS and that glorious 3F-3Lo:love:. I think she is on the right path and I would love to see her at the Olympics, but it's going to be tough.

Mirai looked good as well considering how early it is, but with her that's no indication of what the rest of the season could look like. I'm not too fond of the programs TBH, something like Demons suits her way better.

Vincent:rock:... I'm really biased when it comes to him, but I really liked this SP, and holy moly those quads:jaw:

Keegan looked good! I think he will be in the mix for Pyeongchang

Pairs were a bit confusing for me: a lot of these teams look promising, but I wonder what projects they have. They all would need a few more seasons to gel/develop, but I'm not sure they will last that long.
Anyway mad respect for Stellato, because what she is doing defies belief. I hope she is enjoying this adventure as much as I am enjoying watching her, because she is unbelievable :bow:

Ender

Match Penalty
Zhou is being eaten by that music in the video. Of course it's early season. But I don't like the program.

sarama

Medalist
Who is the criminal who chose this music for Vincent? 1. It's a bit too much for him (but maybe that will improve) 2. A young, skinny quadster, should avoid to have his big Senior debut to the very same music of the FS that made Hanyu a top skater.
Just to have his own identity

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes. Total scores 1st to 3rd:

Vincent 275.33
Keegan 227.66
Grant 225.75

Thank you......Wow, that's big number and a big spread between first and second. I guess he must have skated very well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liking the FS clip of Grant too, even with POTO, ;) he *is* skating with heart, as he said he wanted to do.

Now where are Deanna and Nate:luv17:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Who is the criminal who chose this music for Vincent? 1. It's a bit too much for him (but maybe that will improve) 2. A young, skinny quadster, should avoid to have his big Senior debut to the very same music of the FS that made Hanyu a top skater.
Just to have his own identity

You're right about the music being very powerful. I think he'll improve as the season goes on. You could see he was having stamina issues toward the end of the program. I also think the choreography is a bit thin and I'm hoping it's unfinished. However, I do like the program and think it will be successful as long as he stays on his feet. Nathan's LP from last season was a bit like this as well. The jumps are musically placed so as long as he skates cleanly, I think he'll be alright. I don't know if I'd have given that program the HUGE number he was given but, with the spread he had from the SP, it was hard to see anyone beating him here.

Regarding Vincent Zhou's LP music, I have to agree with the critics: it overwhelms the skating. I did enjoy the middle part where he is just skating around doing moves in the field and catching his breath, though. As always, land all the quads, get a huge score. Land most of the quads, get a pretty big score anyway.

sarama

Medalist
I did enjoy the middle part where he is just skating around doing moves in the field and catching his breath, though.
I really love that part too! The highlight of the program.... Well, along with all the quads